Secure Sentinel identity and fraud protection
Protect your identity and finances from thieves and cybercriminals with Secure Sentinel.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Having possessions such as your wallet or mobile phone stolen, or even losing them, is a stressful experience. You have to cancel your cards, block your phone and hope that your information isn't accessed. This is where Secure Sentinel comes in. This protection provider has released a range of products to safeguard you in the event that your cards or possessions are stolen.
Secure Sentinel also has other ways of protecting you from the flow-on effects of a crime where your personal details are compromised, and can even provide insurance cover for the associated costs. But is this type of service worth it? Read on for our review.
Important information: Secure Sentinel is not currently available to new customers
At the moment, you won't be able to pay for services through Secure Sentinel if you are a new customer. Instead, you may want to consider other credit and identity-monitoring options available through Equifax.
If you are an existing Secure Code customer, you will still receive the same benefits and can log in via the Secure Sentinel website.
What is Secure Sentinel?
Secure Sentinel is part of the Equifax Group and provides services to help protect you against fraud and identity theft. It offers two different products: SecurePlus and SecureIdentity.
This is a cancellation service for cards and passports which also includes assistance with getting replacements, fraud insurance for up to $15,000 and a monitoring system which detects if your details are being traded on the Internet.
This product offers the same services as SecurePlus, with the addition of a credit file alert service which lets you know when your credit file is being looked at and why. As well as ongoing updates by email, SecureIdentity provides you with a copy of your credit report so you can make sure your file is up-to-date.
What are some of the features and benefits of a Secure Sentinel product?
You can take advantage of the following features with both SecurePlus and SecureIdentity:
- Financial card cancellation and renewal assistance. Register credit cards, debit cards and ATM cards through Secure Sentinel so that you only need to make one phone call to cancel them and get replacements issued.
- Identity Watch. This service monitors black market websites, blogs and chat rooms where identity information is illegally traded and alerts you if your personal information has been compromised. Then you will be provided with advice regarding how to prevent yourself from becoming a victim of fraud.
- Passport protection. Register your passport with Secure Sentinel and it will be registered through the Fraud Protect service if it is lost or stolen to help keep your identity safe. Secure Sentinel will also help arrange a replacement passport and send out a reminder when your passport is due for renewal.
- Identity Guard. If your identity is compromised, this insurance policy gives you cover of up to $15,000 per year to help restore it.
- Key tags. Get coded key tags that can make it easier to retrieve your lost or stolen keys.
- Important documents and possessions. Get peace of mind knowing that important details will be kept safe until they are needed (for example, if you need to make a police report or an insurance claim). You can also upload and store important documents and details – including certificates and wills – in Secure Code's online vault.
- Fraud deterrent labels. If thieves know your items are protected by Secure Sentinel, they're less likely to steal them, so these labels act as a handy deterrent. They also mean that if you ever lose your items, a simple phone call to Secure Sentinel by whoever finds your lost goods can simplify the return of those items to you.
- Emergency cash advance. In cases of loss or theft, eligible members can receive a cash advance of up to $1,000 to help deal with emergency expenses.
- Luggage tags. These alert anyone, anywhere in the world who finds your lost baggage to contact Secure Sentinel so your luggage can be returned to you.
- Online members' portal. This allows you to easily manage and update the details of your financial cards, phone numbers, passport and personal items all in one easy-to-access place.
- Global assistance. You can get in touch with Secure Sentinel's Australian customer support centre 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Membership options. Choose between a membership for an individual or one for a household of up to 10 people (living at the same address).
What other products does Equifax offer?
Some of the products and services available through Equifax include:
- Credit file checks so you can maximise your chances of being approved for new loans or credit files. This includes credit scoring, which lets you know how healthy your credit file is.
- PPSR (previously known as REVS) checks on cars to find out about their previous history including sales listing history, valuations, known odometer readings and more.
- My Insurance Passport, which is a record of your insurance-related information. This includes details of your claims, applications for insurance and enquiries made by agents of insurance companies.
- Property value reports, which include suburb value maps and sales maps.
How important is protecting your identity?
There are a few reasons why identity protection is important to keep in mind. The following stats demonstrate why it's a problem for many Australians:
- $4.3 million was lost through identity theft scams in Australia in 2019 (Source: Scamwatch/ACCC, 2019)
- 1 in 4 (25%) Australians have experienced identity crime at some stage in their lives (Source: Department of Home Affairs and the Australian Institute of Criminology, 2019)
- 39,956 Australian passports were reported lost or stolen in 2018-19 (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, 2019)
Equifax is the largest data source in Australia and New Zealand and has over 40 years of experience, originally starting as the Credit Reference Association of Australia Limited. Equifax takes identity protection seriously. If looking after your identity is important to you, you may want to find out more about Equifax.
Lenders know your credit score, so why shouldn't you?
Get your credit score and comprehensive report now!
More guides on Finder
Best Google Pixel 5 cases in Australia 2020
Need a case for your Pixel 5 smartphone? Here are the best cases in Australia for a variety of styles and levels of protection.
Coronavirus: Common scams to watch out for
Details on the most common scams to avoid during the coronavirus health crisis, plus tips for keeping your information safe online.
Cryptocurrency security: End to end guide on keeping your crypto safe
SPONSORED: Your crypto is only worth something if you don’t lose it. Here’s how to keep it safe from start to finish.
Review: CoinField cryptocurrency exchange
Learn more about the CoinField cryptocurrency exchange in this review.
Plenti Car Loan
Plenti car loans offer competitive, personalised interest rates, as well as the choice to have your loan secured or unsecured. Find out more about Plenti's car loans here.
UniBank Credit Card
This Visa credit card offers low-cost features and a 24-hour security hotline for lost or stolen cards.
Review: Crypto.com cryptocurrency app and exchange
Learn more about the Crypto.com platform in our complete review.
Westpac Life account (for 18-29s)
Earn a market-leading bonus interest rate if you're under 30, and when you meet the account conditions. Learn more about the Westpac Life account and apply online.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here's how we choose them.
International shopping without the sting: How to shop smarter online
SPONSORED: Shop smarter online and enjoy foreign products without the foreign fees in Australia.
Ask an Expert