Back to school 2020: Where to buy school shoes online
Here's where you can shop for a wide range of back-to-school shoes online – and save a bit while you're at it.
By now, you're probably buying a bunch of back-to-school items. If you've already bought new backpacks, stationery and uniforms, the next item on the list is a pair of school shoes. The importance of a good pair of school shoes is obvious – after all, children will spend over 30 hours a week wearing these shoes. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you pick the perfect pair of shoes.
Shoe buying guide: Tips and essentials
- Don't make the mistake of buying too big. Choosing the right size might seem obvious, but the truth is, picking the right fit is very difficult. If you choose a size that fits snugly now, they'll be too small in just a couple of months. As a result, many people buy shoes that are just way too big and this puts kids at risk of tripping, rolled ankles and back problems. There should be no more than a thumb's width of space between your child's longest toe and the end of the shoe – any more room than that and they're too big. Also, remember to make sure there is room for socks.
- It's all about the heel. One of the most important things to check is to ensure that the heel of the foot sits firmly and securely in the back of the shoe. If your child's heel is not sitting firmly in the back of the shoe, it means the shoes are either too big or just not supportive enough. This can lead to blisters and tripping in the short term and more serious consequences in the long term. Make sure that the shoes you choose allow your child's heel to sit securely at the very back of the shoe.
- Choose the correct fit. Each child is unique. Some children have slender feet with a curved arch while others have wide feet with a flatter arch. Parents should choose the correct fit to ensure that their child will be as comfortable as possible when they are walking and running. If in doubt, take your child into a store to find out what kinds of shoes fit their foot before making any purchases.
- Get your child's opinion. The most important consideration in picking school shoes is to get the opinion of your child. Ask questions to make sure that the shoes don't hurt their feet. Also, keep in mind that your child should be comfortable with the style of the shoe in addition to the sizing.
- Keep the school dress code in mind: conservative or liberal? Some schools have a very strict attitude toward school shoes and others are a little more liberal. You don't want your child sent home with a note saying that their shoes aren't suitable for school, especially if they're brand new. Ask your child or call the school to find out if there are any rules to keep in mind when buying new shoes. If you're unsure, it's always safer to err on the side of a more conservative shoe.
The best back-to-school deals and discounts:
Popular Back to school - stationery coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|25 Oct 2019||FREE returns for all orders within Australia||********|
|13 May 2020||FREE home delivery on orders over $45||********|
|9 Sep 2019||$20 off when you sign up||********|
|24 Jul 2019||Free shipping||********|
|27 Nov 2018||20% off first purchase when you sign up||********|
Ask an Expert