The new school year is fast approaching so it's time to buy new school shoes. Here's how to do it and save a bit while you're at it.
By now, you're probably buying a bunch of back-to-school items. If you've already bought new backpacks, stationery and uniforms, the next item on the list is school shoes. The importance of a good pair of school shoes is obvious - after all children will spend over 30 hours a week wearing these shoes. Here a few tips and tricks to help you pick the perfect pair of shoes.
Shoe buying guide: tips and essentials
- Don't make the mistake of buying too big – choosing the right size might seem obvious but the truth is, picking the right fit is very difficult. If you choose a size that fits snugly now, they'll be too small in just a couple of months. As a result many people buy shoes that are just way too big and this puts kids at risk of tripping, rolled ankles and back problems. There should be no more than a thumbs length of space between your child's longest toe and the end of the shoe - any more room than that and they're too big. Remember to take into account room for socks.
- It's all about the heel - one of the most important things to look is that the heel of the foot sits firmly and securely in the back of the shoe. If your child's heel is not sitting firmly in the back of the shoe, it means the shoes are either too big or just not supportive enough. This can lead to blisters and tripping in the short-term and more serious consequences in the long term. Make sure that the shoes you choose allow your child's heel to sit securely at the very back of the shoe.
- Choose the correct fit – each child is unique. Some children have slender feet with a curved arch while others have wide feet with a flatter arch. Parents should choose the correct fit to ensure that their child will be as comfortable as possible when they walk, run and join in with the school's activities. If in doubt, take your child into a store to find out what kinds of shoes fit their foot before making any purchases.
- Get your child's opinion – the most important consideration in picking school shoes is to get the opinion of your child. Ask questions to make sure that the shoes don't hurt his or her feet. Also keep in mind that to a degree your child should be comfortable with the style of the shoe in addition to the sizing.
- Keep the school dress code in mind: conservative or liberal? - Some schools have a very strict attitude to school shoes and others are a little more liberal. You don't want your child sent home with a note saying that their shoes aren't suitable for school, especially if they're brand new. Ask your child or call the school to find out if there are any rules to keep in mind when buying new shoes. If you're unsure it's always safer to err on the side of a more conservative shoe.
Shopping for school shoes
Here are some ideas for school shoes which can be found through on our featured retailers' sites.
School shoes for girls:
Ladylike Sturdy Casual
ROC Caper School Shoes
Nora Lace Up Shoes
School shoes for boys:
Traditional Practical Casual
Vans Men's Classic Slip On Shoe
ROC Strobe Lace Up School Shoe
Sports shoes for girls and boys:
Sketchers Flex Appeal Sweet Spot
New Balance Rush Laceup Athletic Shoe
Fila Women's Resilient Runners
Adidas Neo Men's Advantage Clean
Men's Spalding Joggers
New Balance Kl574g9p/G Athletic Laceup Leather Trainer
Top retailers for school shoe needs
The retailers have some of the largest selections of school shoes available. They also have a great customer service teams, so should you have a question, they'll be able to help you get the answer quickly. These sites also all offer free shipping if you meet the minimum spend.
David Jones - free shipping over $100
Styletread - free shipping over $65
Clarks - free shipping over $99
Sporting House Direct - free over $80
Target - free shipping over $39
Stride Shoes - free shipping
Why shop at finder.com.au for your back-to-school needs?
finder.com.au gives you access to exclusive discounts from top online retailers both in Australia and overseas. Whether you're looking for school supplies, toys, or sports shoes for your kids, you can be sure to get steep discounts from our partner retailers. Other benefits include:
- Access to promo codes - we regularly scan our featured retail sites to get the most up-to-date promo codes for you to use. This means you can get discounts on your order.
- Hassle-free shopping - shop from the comfort of your home and beat the back-to-school rush. These retailers have everything you need to get ready for school.
- Free delivery - many of our retailers offer complimentary shipping once you spend above a certain threshold.
If you have any questions or specific product enquiries, we'd love to help you. Leave us a comment and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.