From national parks to national galleries, here are a few ways to keep your kids entertained in Canberra during school holidays.
The biggest holiday period in the school year are quickly approaching and if you have no plans to fill them, we've got a few ideas up our sleeves for how to keep your kids busy throughout. With a host of museums, galleries, national parks and indoor sports venues, there’s no shortage of things to do in Canberra.
When are the 2017 school holidays in Canberra?
|Term 1 school holidays||8 April until 25 April|
|Term 2 school holidays||1 July until 16 July|
|Term 3 school holidays||23 September until 8 October|
|Term 4 school holidays||16 December until 1 February|
6 iconic Canberra things to do with your kids
- Have fun with science at Questacon
- Tour the National Gallery and pay a visit to Parliament House
- Head up to Mount Ainslie lookout
- Explore Namadgi National Park
- Picnic at the Australian National Botanic Gardens
- Hit the slopes at nearby ski areas
3 ways to keep your kids busy during school holidays in Canberra
6 school holiday events in Canberra
- Christmas in the City: Christmas is all about the kids and Canberra is serving up a stack of activities for them this festive season. Think a Guinness World Record Christmas tree, Christmas concert, handcraft markets and a special appearance by Santa. 16-24 December. Various Canberra venues.
- Play with puzzles and board games at the National Archives: The National Archives of Australia hosts a School Holiday Family Corner throughout their break to keep little ones busy. 19 December - 25 January. National Archives of Australia, Queen Victoria Terrace, Parkes ACT 2600.
- School holidays at the Australian Institute of Sport: Get them moving by signing them up for their favourite sport (or a new one) at the Australian Institute of Sport. Pre-school holiday, soccer, tennis swimming programs are available. 3-27 January 2017. Australian Institute of Sport, Leverrier St, Bruce ACT 2617.
- National Dinosaur Museum School Holiday Tours: Learn about the prehistoric age with guided tours of the Dinosaur Museum - it's got the largest display of dinosaurs in all of Australia! 17 December 2016 - 29 January 2017. 6 Gold Creek Road, Nicholls, ACT 2913.
- Mathamazing and Byte Wise: One of the most beloved science and maths museums in Australia is a tried and true favourite during the school holiday break. Its summer Mathamazing and Byte Wise exhibitions explore maths and computational thinking. 2 December 2016 - 3 March 2017. The National Science and Technology Centre, King Edward Terrace, Parkes, Australian Capital Territory, Australia, 2600.
- Ranger guided activities at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve: Every day is different at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve and its program of children's activities. This includes guided ranger walks, pelican feeds, platypus sightings, an Aboriginal art exhibit and a Tidbinbilla after dark night safari. Events up until 21 January 2017. Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve.
Looking for discounts on activities and attractions in Canberra? Check out these coupon codes and discounts.
Show code & visit siteEX****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Save up to 70% on local deals
Shop for dining experiences, attractions and more for up to 70% off.
Featured Image: Australian Institute of Sport