Ideas and deals on the greatest summer holiday escapes.
The school holidays may be a nice break, but they can often get hectic. Crowds fill cities and towns with shoppers and sightseers, and if you’ve got kids, coming up with weeks’ worth of boredom busters is no easy feat.
So why not boycott the stress this season? Leave it all behind and head out on holiday.
School holiday travel deals
Popular School Holiday Travel Deals coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|13 Nov 2018||10% off USA car hire + 30% off Legoland tickets||BCD****|
|29 Oct 2018||5% off Sydney airport parking + bonus Velocity points||WIN****|
|24 Oct 2018||10% off cruise port and airport parking||AWA****|
|27 Jun 2018||Sydney Harbour cruise + Taronga Zoo entry from $59||********|
Best places to travel with kids during school holidays
- Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is a goldmine as far as things to do as a family are concerned. There’s a list of amusement parks, such as Dreamworld, Warner Bros. Movie World and Wet’n’Wild, that your family can enjoy. For grown-ups, there’s the nightlife of Surfers Paradise and an almost endless stretch of seaside to sunbathe on.
- Fiji. You can’t really go wrong with Fiji. What’s not to like about palm-fringed beaches, top snorkel spots, sand dunes and dolphin spotting? Kids should especially like the water sports, such as paddleboarding and kayaking. Grown-ups will really appreciate the island’s foodie side – lovo feasts and sundowners by the sea.
- Thailand. Thailand is a tried and tested holiday destination for grown-ups. Castaway-quality beaches, floating markets and a healthy dose of nightlife make it a no-brainer for adults. This country has plenty for families, too, though. Think tuk tuk rides, short walks in the jungle and the experience of coming face to face with an elephant.
- Bali. Offering beach time, massages and luxury accommodation, Bali has become a favourite with honeymooners. But there’s plenty here for broods, too. Water parks, marine parks, a monkey forest and a butterfly farm are just a few of the things that can feature on a family itinerary.
- Sunshine Coast. Both kids and big kids are catered to on the Sunshine Coast. Beach time, rainforest hikes, 4x4 adventures through national parks and harbour cruises can all be factored into a holiday here whether you’re single, a couple or a family.
- Hawaii. The six islands of Hawaii all offer something different. Families can’t really go wrong with Oahu where there are easy hiking trails, affordable house rentals and family-friendly restaurants. Couples should consider “the private isle” Lanai, which is home to Sweetheart Rock and secluded beaches.
Tips for travelling during school holidays
There’s no getting round the fact that summer holidays push up the price of holidays, but there are a few things you can do to make sure your getaway won’t break the bank.
- Keep an eye out for flash sales. Big brands often run short sales. If you’re open minded about where you want to go, you might bag a deal.
- Be savvy. Compare holiday prices on a price comparison site like finder.
- Consider a big brand. Many of the big brand holiday companies run deals like free places for children. Sign up to newsletters to keep in the loop.
- Consider all-inclusive. Going all-inclusive can take a bit of the strain off the budget if you’re travelling with a brood, so look for a holiday that includes meals, like a cruise or a resort.