Scenic flights in Cairns 2020
A handy guide to seeing the great Barrier Reef from above, for less.
The Great Barrier Reef is one of the seven natural wonders of the world. To really get a feel for its sheer scale, you need to see it from the air.
Flight options from Cairns include quick 30-minute flights with insightful commentary to experiences that combine flying with cruising and snorkelling and last a whole day.
Deals on scenic flights in Cairns and over the Great Barrier Reef
Who offers scenic flights in the Great Barrier Reef?
- GSL Aviation: Flies to Great Barrier Reef and Port Douglas
- Daintree Air Services: Flies to Great Barrier Reef and Lizard Island
Our top picks:
Best for price: 30-Minute Great Barrier Reef Scenic Flight from Cairns from Viator
- Spend half an hour in the sky for just $160.
- Get a bird’s eye view of Upolu Cay, Arlington Reef, and False Cape.
- Swoop over the northern beaches.
- Count on your own window seat.
Best for value: Scenic Plane Flight and Green Island Package from Experience Oz
- Soar over the Great Barrier Reef for 40 minutes and cruise to Green Island for $289.
- Listen to the in-flight commentary as you fly.
- Land and then board a catamaran to Green Island.
- Spend four hours on the island exploring and relaxing.
Best for experience length: Port Douglas and Reef Scenic Flight from RedBalloon
- Spend 1 hour in the air.
- Listen to the in-flight commentary.
- See Arlington Island, Upolu Reef, Batt Reef, Tongue Reef, Port Douglas and Palm Cove from above.
- Relax in your guaranteed window seat.
Does your company belong in this list?
Scenic flight companies in Cairns compared
|GSL Aviation||RedBalloon||$259||Cairns Airport||60 minutes||Hotel transfers|
|Scenic Reef Hopper||Experience Oz||$289||Cairns, Great Barrier Reef||40 minute flight, plus Green Island cruise||Hotel transfers, buffet lunch|
|Daintree Air Services||Viator||$160||Great Barrier Reef||30 minutes||Hotel transfers|
Ask an Expert