San Francisco is an ideal city to walk around if you’re in the right spot.
So whether you’re in for a family holiday or are travelling for business, we’ve found the perfect location for you in the city.
How did we pick these San Francisco hotels?
Our editorial team selected the San Francisco hotels on this list based on price, location and real customer feedback from hotel booking sites and review platforms. Where applicable, we used our own personal experiences to make recommendations.
Where should I stay in San Francisco?
There are so many districts to choose from - so we've broken them down by what's nearby to steer you in the right direction.
- Union Square: Stay here if you're hoping to hit the department stores running or take in a theatre production (or two) in the theater district.
- Fisherman's Wharf: Stay on the wharf and you'll never have to venture far to tick off those big tourist attractions. This includes the Golden Gate Bridge, Lombard St, Presidio and Pier 39. From the wharf you can catch views of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.
- The Financial District: Not just a hub of business skyscrapers, the Financial District is renowned for having some of the best bars in the city. It's also on the doorstep of the ferry terminal if you wish to hop across the San Francisco Bay to places like Bay Island and Alameda.
- Chinatown: Stay close to cheap eats in the oldest Chinatown in the USA.
- SoMa: Short for South of Market, this is a trending hub of art museums and warehouse conversions.
- The Mission: Colourful and full of energy, The Mission is a predominately Hispanic area with plenty of traditional Mexican fare to tuck into.
Which sites let me book San Francisco accommodation with free cancellation?
These sites let you make a refundable booking for your trip to San Francisco, so there's less risk of losing the cost of your stay or deposit. Some sites only offer free cancellation on select San Francisco hotels or at a slightly higher rate, so it's best to check the terms on your booking before confirming your stay.
Most sites, like Wotif or Expedia, will clearly state whether each San Francisco hotel is non-refundable.
See the latest coupon codes
Which sites let me use a coupon code to book San Francisco accommodation?
Using one of our coupon codes at these sites will save you money on your San Francisco stay. Some may ask you to pay for your stay upfront rather than on arrival in order to apply the code to your San Francisco booking, but the same cancellation policy does apply so if you are able to cancel, you'll be able to get refunded.
Which sites let me book San Francisco accommodation without a credit card?
If you don't have a credit card to make your San Francisco booking, but would like to reap the rewards of one, compare credit cards that offer hotel rewards here
Which San Francisco hotel booking sites have rewards programs?
Get access to cheaper prices, collect points toward free stays and get extra perks like Wi-Fi or breakfast if you book your San Francisco accommodation on sites like these:
- Wotif: Part of the same family, Wotif lets you access the same benefits as the Expedia Rewards program. You'll get access to lower rates and earn points, which can be used toward discounted stays in the future. Depending on how often you make bookings, you'll be able to get bigger discounts and earn more perks like breakfast.
- Agoda: PointsMAX lets you earn up to 6,000 points for your stay that you can put toward a preferred loyalty or frequent flyer program, including KrisFlyer and Velocity.
- Trip.com: Trip Coins is Trip.com's rewards program where you can earn $1 for every 100 Trip Coins. It's free to join the program. Membership tiers from Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond have different perks to enjoy.
- Hotels.com: Collect one stamp for every night's stay. Once you stay for 10 nights, you'll be able to redeem one free night up to the average value of your previous 10 nights.
- Expedia.com.au: Access lower rates as a member and earn Expedia points on bookings, which can be used toward discounted stays in the future. Different levels of membership get you access to deeper discounts and perks, such as free breakfasts.
- Marriott: The Marriott Bonvoy Benefits program lets you earn points towards free nights, access special member rates, get free Wi-Fi with your stay and check into your room via the mobile app. There are different status levels depending on how often you stay, starting with Silver Elite (10 nights per year).
San Francisco hotel deals