The Samsung Galaxy S8+ impresses with its battery life, but for most users the slightly less pricey Galaxy S8 is a better bet.
- Exceptional battery stamina
- Great processor performance
- Great for movie watching
- Water resistance
- CAT16 connectivity
- Fingerprint sensor is hard to hit right and iris scanner is hit or miss
- Bixby doesn’t work well enough at launch
- Where are the "Plus" features?
- Simple Mono speaker only
The plus-sized variant of the Galaxy S8 improves battery life and gives you more screen real estate to play with.
Usually when a smartphone manufacturer announces a new phone range that includes some kind of "plus" model, you can count on that plus meaning a larger screen, battery and additional goodies not found on the lesser siblings in the same product family. That’s the approach that pretty much every manufacturer, including big names such as Apple and Huawei has taken, because at the premium end of the pool, you’ve got to work extra hard to justify the exceptional asking prices that you demand.
That’s not quite the approach Samsung has taken with the Galaxy S8+, the larger brother of the Galaxy S8. Yes, it’s a larger phone and it has a larger battery, but in every other aspect it’s identical to the S8. We really adored the Galaxy S8 in our review, so giving us even more has got to be better, right?
- Replacing the bezel with the curved "Infinity" display allows for larger videos and easier navigation.
- Small hands may have difficulty holding and operating the bulky handset.
- Only a marginal improvement over the Galaxy S7's camera.
- Still a solid set-up for taking high-quality photos.
- More than enough power to handle virtually anything you could throw at it.
- Identical guts to the Galaxy S8.
- 3,500mAh battery delivers tremendous longevity.
- Support for wireless and quick-charging makes juicing up a breeze.
- Massive display and powerhouse battery elevate the Galaxy S8+ above its non-plus sibling.
- Bulky size and higher cost make the standard Galaxy S8 a better choice for most users.
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Bigger and better
Whether you're streaming Netflix or playing games, the enormous Infinity display on the Galaxy S8+ is a marvel to behold. See for yourself by grabbing yours today.
- You can find the Samsung Galaxy S8+ typically retailing from $800 to $900 outright.
- Vodafone and Optus also offer the Galaxy S8+ on contract.
|Display size (inches)||6.2|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2960 x 1440|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||529|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,500|
|Rear camera (1) resolution|
|Rear camera (1) aperture|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/1.7|
|Front camera (2) resolution||12|
|Front camera (2) aperture||f/1.7|
|Network category speed||Category 16|
Latest Samsung phone news
Samsung isn't waiting for its Galaxy Unpacked launch to start announcing new tablets. Read more…
Samsung's biggest and best handset for the first half of 2019 will clearly be the Samsung Galaxy S10+. Here's what we know about its latest flagship. Read more…
Samsung's lower-cost Galaxy S10e looks to provide most of the premium features you'd expect of a Galaxy S phone, but naturally enough at a budget price. Read more…