The Samsung Galaxy S7 is best suited for those who fancy a premium Android phone and is an easy recommendation for those upgrading from older Samsung phones because of the inclusion of waterproofing and microSD storage expansion.
- Refined design
- Excellent performance
- Exceptional battery life
- Great camera options
- Handy lock screen clock
- Game Launcher (mostly) works well
- Refinement, not reinvention
- No removable battery
- Dual SIM or expansion, but not both
- The S7 is hot
- You can’t use every photographic mode at once
- It’s a fingerprint smudge magnet
Samsung hasn’t reinvented the smartphone with the Galaxy S7, instead opting for refinements all round that add up to a superb device.
Samsung was busy as it brought the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge to market. They were announced at Mobile World Congress 2016, prior to general pre-orders and availability from 11 March 2016.
Given the market tussles between Apple and Samsung, who between them command the lion’s share of mobile sales both internationally and in Australia, the Galaxy S7 has a lot to live up to.
If you're more interested in the curved screens of the Edge model, you can read our full Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge review.
- The return of expandable storage is much appreciated.
- Doesn't differentiate itself drastically from the Galaxy S6.
- Improves on the Galaxy S6's camera with extra features and a larger sensor.
- Some features are incompatible with each other, preventing combinations like HDR and Full HD capture.
- Maintains Samsung's penchant for top-of-the-line performance.
- Fast and responsive, both in benchmarks and real-world testing.
- A massive improvement over the Galaxy S6.
- Outlasts nearly all competing handsets, including the iPhone 6S Plus.
- Improves on the Galaxy S6 in almost every regard.
- Reinforces Samsung's position at the top of the Android market.
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy S7
A refined approach
By shoring up the solid foundations introduced with the Galaxy S6, Samsung has created an impressive smartphone that stands tall among the competition. Available now.
- Online retailers are currently selling the Samsung Galaxy S7 for around $600.
- You can also purchase the Galaxy S7 on contract through Telstra.
Samsung Galaxy S7 specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||5.1 inches|
|Resolution||1440 x 2560|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||577|
|Rear camera megapixels||12MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||f/1.7|
|Front camera megapixels||5MP|
|Front camera aperture size||f/1.7|
|Dimensions||142.4mm x 69.6mm x 7.9mm|
|Network category speed||Category 9|
|Operating system||Android 6|
|External storage support||Up to 512GB|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Samsung Galaxy S7
Latest Samsung phone news
Samsung's Galaxy S10 5G is a beautiful and fast phone but you shouldn't rush to it just for 5G. Read more…
Samsung's Galaxy Note 10 is rumoured to reinvent its S-Pen stylus while still bringing the premium Samsung quality that Note phones are known for. Read more…
5G phones are fast, but how well do they take photos in low-light situations? Read more…