A faster processor, improved camera and new features like Samsung Pay make the Samsung Galaxy J5 Pro a solid successor to the 2016 Galaxy J5.
Samsung's Galaxy J series smartphones typically operate on a yearly release cycle, with new handsets retaining the same name but incorporating more advanced hardware and features. The Samsung Galaxy J5 Pro bucks this trend slightly, as it's the direct successor to the 2016 Galaxy J5 despite bearing the new "Pro" moniker.
Released in June 2017, the Galaxy J5 Pro stays true to the budget-friendly ethos of other Galaxy J series phones. It packs hardware that would have been considered cutting edge just a few years prior, with similar specs to the 2015 premium Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone. But thanks to the rapid pace of mobile technology, the Galaxy J5 Pro is significantly cheaper than the Galaxy S6 was back when it launched.
- All-metal body and curved-glass surface add a premium feel to the budget handset
- Fingerprint sensor and Samsung Pay support add an extra layer of functionality
- Features a f/1.7 lens on the rear camera for better shots in low light
- 13MP front-facing camera for high-resolution selfies
- Eight-core 1.6GHz processor is a big step up from the 2016 Galaxy J5
- 3GB of RAM gives the Galaxy J5 Pro more capacity to multi-task
- Double-digit battery life claims from Samsung promise plenty of runtime
- The shift to a sealed battery means no more swapping in spares
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy J5 Pro
A budget handset that delivers the goods
The Samsung Galaxy J5 Pro improves upon the 2016 Galaxy J5 in a number of key ways, resulting in a capable smartphone at a very attractive price.
- Samsung sells the Galaxy J5 Pro with 3GB of RAM on its site for $349, but you can find it for closer to $300 at retailers like Catch
- The Galaxy J5 Pro is also available on contract through Vodafone.
Samsung Galaxy J5 Pro specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||5.2 inches|
|Resolution||720 x 1280|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||282|
|Rear camera megapixels||13MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||f/1.7|
|Front camera megapixels||13MP|
|Front camera aperture size||f/1.9|
|Dimensions||146.2mm x 71.3mm x 8mm|
|Network category speed||Category 6|
|Operating system||Android 7|
|External storage support||Up to 256GB|
Compare SIM-only plans for Samsung Galaxy J5 Pro
Latest Samsung phone news
Samsung's Galaxy Note 10 is rumoured to reinvent its S-Pen stylus while still bringing the premium Samsung quality that Note phones are known for. Read more…
5G phones are fast, but how well do they take photos in low-light situations? Read more…
The Samsung Galaxy A70 is Samsung's mid-range flagship, combining features you'd expect in a flagship phone with a more moderate price point. Read more…