The Galaxy J3 brings a 5-inch super AMOLED display, a quad-core processor and an 8MP camera to Samsung's line of budget smartphones.
Launched in early 2016, the original Galaxy J3 joined Samsung's growing catalogue of J series smartphones aimed at those looking for an affordable alternative to the company's flagship Galaxy S handsets. Like other J series phones, the Galaxy J3 pares down many of the features common to Samsung's premium handsets in order to keep costs low. This limits the Galaxy J3's suitability to those who use their phone primarily for calls, texts and light web browsing. Those looking for a powerhouse device to play games or multi-task on will probably want to consider something with a bit more grunt.
- Stays true to Samsung's solid if unspectacular budget design
- Plenty of connectivity options for expanding the Galaxy J3's functionality
- Features a decent yet unremarkable combination of an 8MP rear camera and 5MP front camera
- Won't compare to a decent dedicated camera, but serviceable enough for basic photography
- Suitable for general web browsing and other light tasks
- Will likely struggle with multi-tasking and mobile gaming
- Capable of up to 14 hours of continuous video playback according to Samsung
- Removable battery means you don't need to send the whole handset away when your battery bites the dust
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy J3
An affordable everyday smartphone
The Galaxy J3 is a reasonably priced smartphone for those who don't need all the bells and whistles.
- Samsung sells the Galaxy J3 on its retail site for $299.
- Alternatively, you can find the Galaxy J3 selling for around $200 from retailers like Catch and Kogan.
Samsung Galaxy J3 specs
|Display size (inches)||5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1280 x 720|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||294|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,600|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||8|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||5|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 4|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Samsung Galaxy J3
Latest Samsung phone news
We help you find the best Vodafone phone on contract with our comprehensive guide to the best handsets available right now. Read more…
We help you find the best Telstra phone on contract with our comprehensive guide to the best phones you can buy right now in Australia. Read more…
We hit the streets of Paris and Sydney to find the low light camera king, with surprising results. Read more…