Samsung's J1 smartphone is a highly affordable entry into its world of Galaxy Android phones.
Samsung's Galaxy J1 is a budget Android smartphone aimed at anyone who needs to keep an eye on the price tag when purchasing a new phone.
The J1 has a small, fairly low-resolution screen measuring just 4.5 inches and 480 x 800 pixels, but it gets a boost from Super AMOLED technology that enhances colours and contrast. The phone is also quite light at 131g and packs in a decent battery life.
- Basic but practical with no fancy trimmings.
- Bright AMOLED screen, though limited to a fairly low resolution.
- 5MP camera allows for decent if unremarkable photos.
- Handy camera shortcut makes it easier to capture fleeting shots.
- Suitable for general email and web browsing tasks, but not a whole lot more.
- Low-power hardware gives the 2,050mAh battery plenty of legs.
- Ultra power saving mode offers even more battery life for times when recharging isn't an option.
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy J1
Samsung smarts at an affordable price
Joining the Samsung family is cheaper than ever thanks to the Galaxy J1.
- You can find the Samsung Galaxy J1 at online retailers such Catch selling for around $150.
Samsung Galaxy J1 specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||4.5 inches|
|Resolution||480 x 800|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||207|
|Rear camera megapixels||5MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||f/2.2|
|Front camera megapixels||2MP|
|Front camera aperture size||f/2.2|
|Dimensions||132.6mm x 69.3mm x 8.9mm|
|Network category speed||N/A|
|Operating system||Android 5|
|External storage support||Up to 128GB|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Samsung Galaxy J1
Latest Samsung phone news
The Samsung Galaxy Note10+ brings a range of quite useful productivity features to Samsung's flagship phone, but battery life is still a concern. Read more…
Samsung's Galaxy Note10+ 5G brings the feature set of the Note10+ along with the speed benefits of 5G connectivity. Read more…
Samsung's Galaxy Note10+ has a bigger display, new S-Pen Air Gestures and a superfast charging battery, along with a premium price point. Read more…