Samsung finally brings its flexible display into the fold with a true smartphone-tablet hybrid.
Alongside its 2019 range of premium Galaxy S10 handsets, Samsung revealed the Galaxy Fold; the company's first foray into foldable displays.
Normally, this kind of experimental tech would come with a caution sticker slapped to it or a sacrifice of features and processing power so not to distract from the flagship phones but Samsung seems to be flexing its muscles with the Fold, giving punters a smartphone experience otherwise identical to its S10 range.
- Seamless foldable polymer display
- Thumbrest fingerprint sensor
- Right-aligned notch unfolded, big old bezel in cover mode
- Rear triple camera with 16MP ultra wide (F2.2.), 12MP wide angle (Dual Pixel AF, OIS, F1.5, F2.4) and 12MP telephoto camera (PDAF, OIS, F2.4, 2X optical zoom)
- Front 10MP selfie camera (F2.2), 8MP RGB depth camera (F1.9)
- Cover camera (folded) front-facing 10MP (F2.2)
- 7nm 64-bit Octa-core processor
- 12GB RAM
- 512GB internal memory, no microSD slot
- 4,380mAh battery
- Wireless charging and fast charging supported
- The future of flexible screens hinges on the Fold's success
Pricing and availability
Buy the Samsung Galaxy S10 128GB from Amazon AU
Samsung's Galaxy S10 features an in-screen ultrasonic fingerprint sensor and a pin-hole selfie camera, providing more room for its 6.1-inch screen to shine. Get yours now from Amazon Australia.View details
- The Samsung Galaxy Fold was intended to launch on 26 April 2019 in the US and in May in Europe, but Samsung recently delayed the launch to incorporate feedback from early reviewers. No new release date has yet been provided.
- The Fold will cost US$1,980 which translates to $2,764 AUD at the time writing.
Samsung Galaxy Fold specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||7.3 inches|
|Resolution||1536 x 2152|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||362|
|Rear camera megapixels||12MP + 12MP + 16MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||f/2.4 + f/1.5-f/2.4 + f/2.2|
|Front camera megapixels||10MP + 8MP|
|Front camera aperture size||f/2.2 + f/1.9|
|Dimensions||mm x mm x mm|
|Network category speed||N/A|
|Operating system||Android 9|
|External storage support||Up to N/A|
Latest Samsung news
5G phones are fast, but how well do they take photos in low-light situations? Read more…
The Samsung Galaxy A70 is Samsung's mid-range flagship, combining features you'd expect in a flagship phone with a more moderate price point. Read more…
The Samsung Galaxy A50 shows just how much Samsung can pack into a phone while retaining a mid-range price point. Read more…