It's not the most powerful phone. However, it's a perfectly capable device for anyone who just watches the odd video, browses Facebook or Twitter and sends and receives email.
- Premium construction
- That IP68 rating
- Somewhat successful selfies
- Solid battery life
- USB C port and fast charging
Could be better
- Middle-of-the-road performance
- Only Android 6.0
- Quiet speaker
The Samsung Galaxy A7 is big on megapixels and battery life, but low on price.
While the geeks of the world tend to gravitate towards the latest entry in Samsung's Galaxy S series, the Korean company also manufactures a line of mid-range devices bearing the Galaxy A moniker.
Just prior to the launch of the Galaxy S8, Samsung unveiled the Galaxy A7 and its smaller sibling the Galaxy A5, both of which utilise technology that was considered cutting edge when it debuted in Samsung's premium Galaxy S family just a couple of years prior. That includes features like support for Samsung Pay, as well as an IP68 water resistance rating, dual front and rear 16MP cameras and an always-on display.
The Galaxy A7 is the larger of the two devices, rocking a 5.7-inch full HD display and a 3,600mAh battery. While the octa-core processor is capable of keeping up with general tasks, it's not on par with the CPU inside the Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge. That's okay though, because this phone is targeting general users.
- The metal and glass design lends the A7 a premium feel
- IP68 water-resistance rating provides excellent protection from the elements
- 16MP front-facing camera is a big plus for selfie fans
- Support for HDR, panoramas and time-lapse photography lends the rear-facing camera plenty of versatility
- Decent performance in day-to-day tasks like email and web browsing
- Lacks the grunt to handle more complex tasks like 3D gaming
- Great battery life, even considering Samsung's impressive track record
- Will see you through a full day with little issue
- A strong mid-range smartphone for everyday use
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy A7
Dressed to impress
If you want the premium smartphone look without spending a fortune, you'll want to check out the Samsung Galaxy A7.
- The Samsung Galaxy A7 is currently available through online retailers like Catch and Kogan for between $400 and $600.
Samsung Galaxy A7 specs
|Display size (inches)||5.7|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||386|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,600|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||16|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.9|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||16|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/1.9|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 6|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Samsung Galaxy A7
Latest Samsung phone news
We help you find the best Vodafone phone on contract with our comprehensive guide to the best handsets available right now. Read more…
We help you find the best Telstra phone on contract with our comprehensive guide to the best phones you can buy right now in Australia. Read more…
We hit the streets of Paris and Sydney to find the low light camera king, with surprising results. Read more…