Sale: Full service Hong Kong flights for $559 return
Virgin Australia and Qantas are competing for the lowest price.
With a CBD that never sleeps, bargain shopping opportunities and the mainland of China just a hop and skip away, Hong Kong is a destination to be rivalled with. Now, it's also a destination you can get to for cheap on a luxury carrier thanks to Virgin Australia and Qantas both dropping their prices on flights to the Chinese state on travel between August and November.
Ultimately, Virgin Australia comes up cheaper for most departure cities with its standout fare being Melbourne to Hong Kong for $559 return when travelling in August or September. Fly with Qantas and you'll be paying at least $652 to fly the same route between September to October.
While it sounds like Virgin Australia wins this round, racking up loyalty frequent flyer points may sway your decision as to which airline to fly with as, if you're a Qantas Frequent Flyer member, you may feel that patting down an extra $90+ is worth it in your case.
- Melbourne to Hong Kong... $559 on Virgin Australia or $652 on Qantas
- Brisbane to Hong Kong... $593 on Virgin Australia or $654 on Qantas
- Sydney to Hong Kong... $592 on Virgin Australia or $654 on Qantas
- Adelaide to Hong Kong... $655 on Qantas (no Virgin flights)
- Gold Coast to Hong Kong... $658 on Qantas (no Virgin flights)
We've found that I Want That Flight is one of the best places to compare these flights, dates and prices. You can also book your flights through them or book direct with Virgin Australia or Qantas.
Previously, we've seen Qantas drop fares to Hong Kong to $659 return and Cathay Pacific to $684 return so these prices aren't as good as they get... they're actually better. And with Virgin Australia offering direct flights between Melbourne and Hong Kong from July onward, you might not have to worry about any annoying layovers on some of these flights, either.
These fares aren't part of a particular sale and are available until sold out.
- Virgin Australia sale drops fares from $69 across 300,000 seats
- First Jetstar sale of the year has $37 flights across Australia
- Take off from $75 in the latest Virgin Australia Happy Hour sale
- Fly across Australia from $99 with Qantas’s 2020 Boxing Day sale
- Score $75 flights with the Virgin Australia Boxing Day sale