Rug cleaning services
Keep your rug clean with a professional service.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Rugs are beautiful additions to any home but they need to be looked after regularly to keep their beauty for as long as possible. They can also be difficult to clean, so a professional rug cleaning service can be useful.
Here's everything you need to know about rug cleaning services to help you decide whether to hire one.
What's in this guide?
- What are rug cleaning services?
- What does a rug cleaning service do?
- How do I hire a rug cleaning service?
- How much does a rug cleaning service cost?
- How do I compare rug cleaning services?
- Compare cleaning services
- How should I prepare for a rug cleaning service?
- What to consider when hiring rug cleaning services
- Do I need to be at home for a rug cleaning service?
- Pros and con of using a rug cleaning service
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions about rug cleaning services
What are rug cleaning services?
Rug cleaners are specialists in professionally removing stains and grime from all types of rugs. Rugs can bear the impact of high traffic in a home, business or establishment. A rug cleaning service can leave your rugs looking pristine and as good as the day they were purchased.
What does a rug cleaning service do?
A rug cleaning service is tailored to every rug, but some of the service includes:
- Steam or dry cleaning.
- Stain removal treatments.
- Cleaning and grooming of fringes
- Removal of bacteria caused by pets and general soiling.
- Specialist cleaning processes for Oriental, Kashmir, Persian and antique rugs.
- Protectors can be applied to help keep your rugs cleaner for longer.
- Some services will come to your property to clean the rug.
- Collection and delivery is available from some rug cleaning services.
How do I hire a rug cleaning service?
The majority of rug cleaning services can be found on booking apps, such as Airtasker, Oneflare and Fantastic Cleaning. You'll need to upload your details and description of your job and you can hire the rug cleaner directly through the interface.
How much does a rug cleaning service cost?
Rug cleaning depends on the size and material of the rug and can cost between $30-$65 per hour.
Keep in mind the cost of a rug cleaning service will mostly depend on your particular rug. Factors which may influence the price include:
To get an accurate quote on the cost of rug cleaning, get in touch with a service provider with the above information.
How do I compare rug cleaning services?
Start with websites that allow you to compare rug cleaning services such as Finder. Get in contact with reputable services and ask for a no obligation quote. Once you have collected a few of these, you should be able to compare prices, methods and references.
Compare cleaning services
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Does your company belong in this list?
How should I prepare for a rug cleaning service?
Here are some of the steps you should take before a rug restorer or cleaner arrives:
- Vacuum, if needed, so the rug cleaners can concentrate on the soiled-in dirt that sits deep down in the rug.
- Dust and clean the floor or skirting boards close to the rug as this will stop the rug becoming dirty after the clean.
- Remove fragile, breakable and valuable items from around the room.
- Remove any furniture on top of the rug if possible.
What to consider when hiring rug cleaning services
When looking at hiring a rug cleaning service, consider how long the provider has been working in the industry. Specialists with years of experience in the cleaning industry will know the right products to use on different rug fabrics.
Another factor to consider when hiring a rug cleaning service is whether they offer any guarantee for their services. A rug cleaning company that guarantees its services is likely to be more reliable or experienced.
Do I need to be at home for a rug cleaning service?
It's recommended you are at home in order to answer any questions the cleaner may have, although every rug cleaning service will have a different policy. Someone will at least need to let the service in and show the cleaners the stains, spots or the location of the rugs. If you wish to then leave and run errands, or just to sit in the garden, it's at your discretion but ensure you organise this with the cleaning service first.
Pros and con of using a rug cleaning service
- Professional cleaners may get a better result than doing it yourself
- Professional rug cleaners generally bring their own high quality equipment.
- Cleaners have more experience dealing with a variety of different fabrics and stains.
- Save time.
- More expensive than doing it yourself.
- Stains may not get removed.
Professional rug cleaning services help to remove dust mites, bacteria and other allergens from your rugs. This can help reduce the risk of health problems. If you hire a professional cleaner, you can save time and ensure your rug gets the best clean possible. Just be sure to book a service with good reviews and guarantees.
Frequently asked questions about rug cleaning services
How often should you clean your rugs?
Most rugs should be cleaned every 12-18 months, but a variety of factors may mean you have to clean them more or less often. It will depend on the type of rug, your lifestyle and what elements it's exposed to.
Why can't I just clean my rug myself?
Rug cleaners have specialised knowledge of rug fibres and how to best clean and protect all kinds of rugs. Rug cleaning services have equipment especially designed for the efficient cleaning of rugs. Because they are specialists, rug cleaners know how to get the best result for your rug without any risk of damaging it.
What is the best way to clean a rug?
If you end up not hiring a rug cleaning services, here's some DIY help:
- Start with vacuuming the rug fibres on both sides to remove any lingering dust. If you still believe it to be dusty, knock the rug firmly with a broom handle or similar tool. Do this until no more clouds of dust appear.
- With a safe rug-friendly shampoo (we recommend testing it out on a corner first to ensure it does not cause damage or fading), rinse the cleaner. It's best to do this outside with a garden hose, if possible. Don't worry about getting the rug too wet. A sturdy brush is a good way of working the shampoo deep into the rug.
- Read the shampoo's directions and leave the shampoo on for the recommended time. Then hose down the rug again. It's important to rinse out all the shampoo so no residue is left behind. Wring the rug out as much as possible before leaving it somewhere safe to dry. When almost dry, groom the rug so it's soft and fluffy.
Do rug cleaning services use chemicals?
Generally, rug cleaning companies try to use mild cleaning chemicals or none if possible. Some cleaning services still use a small amount of dangerous chemicals. Ask what equipment and products they use beforehand to ensure they are using non-harmful or mild chemicals.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day top beauty buys: 40% off FOREO, GHD, L’Oreal
From makeup to skincare to haircare, these are the hot beauty offers we're expecting to see this Prime Day.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen will square off in what's being called Termination Day.
eBay kitchen EOFY sale: 75% off with these discount codes
Score up to 75% off cookwares and kitchen appliances when you add these 'hidden' discount codes during the eBay EFOY sale.
Why did the Coca Cola (NYSE:KO) share price drop?
Shares in the beverage maker had lifted nearly 15% since February.
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Amazon Prime Day: Top hacks for Australians in the 2021 sales
From when to shop to how to split the cost of your purchase, we’ve got you covered this Prime Day.
How to invest in the Charger Metals IPO
Everything we know about the Charger Metals IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Editor’s Picks from the Nasty Gal x We The Wild Ones new edit
Ultimate cool gals Lucy and Nikki just dropped the rock n roll edit of our dreams and here's how you can get 60% off at the checkout.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: Amazon Prime Day early-bird deals, 25% off Lenovo Chromebooks, Bose audio clearance.
How to invest in the PEXA Group IPO
Everything we know about the PEXA Group IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Ask an Expert