8 romantic places in Victoria for the ultimate weekend break
The perfect places to sneak away as a couple without leaving the state.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
From historic towns to vast stretches of coastline, Victoria offers some magical locations for a romantic escape.
We've chosen some of the most romantic hotels in Victoria to suit a range of tastes and budgets, from secluded bush retreats to restored antique gems.
All you need to do now is make the booking and surprise your loved one for a getaway to remember.
Where is it? Great Ocean Road
A drive down Great Ocean Road is a must to experience the beauty of Victoria's coastline. Apollo Bay Guest House is a bed and breakfast nestled between the outskirts of the town centre and the coastal reserve.
- Star rating: 5 stars
- Romantic features: The studio is a two-storey French provincial villa with a private entrance, spa bath, wood fireplace and ocean views from the bedroom.
- Why do we love it? One of Australia's most famous scenic routes is right on your doorstep.
- Best for: Great Ocean Road proximity
- Romantic things to do: Take a stroll through Great Otway National Park or catch the sunset via the Great Ocean Road.
Where is it? Yarra Valley
The historic Chateau Yering lies in the heart of the Yarra Valley and is a luxurious place from which you can enjoy the famous wine region. The property has a golf range, wellness centre and 32 elegantly decorated rooms and suites.
- Star rating: 5 stars
- Romantic features: 24-hour room service, wellness centre, salon, swimming pool, on-site restaurants and gardens
- Why do we love it? Live the high life with the Indulgence Package. It includes accommodation in a luxury suite, an a la carte dinner, a one-hour massage, a bottle of Yarra Valley sparkling wine, breakfast, and more
- Best for: Wineries
- Romantic things to do: Hot Air Ballooning with Breakfast, Three-Course Lunch in the Vineyards or Hands-On Italian Cooking Class
Where is it? Mornington Peninsula
Close to Cape Schanck lighthouse on the Mornington Peninsula, you will find the RACV Cape Schanck Resort. The award-winning property includes a golf course and wellness centre and looks out onto Bass Strait and Western Point Bay.
- Star rating: 4 stars
- Romantic features: Swimming pool, room service, bar, restaurant, wellness centre and spa
- Why do we love it? The Stay, Lunch & Bathe package includes a stay in an ocean view room, buffet breakfast, lunch and a session at the Peninsula Hot Springs Dreaming Centre
- Best for: Golfing lovers
- Romantic things to do: Aromatic Hot Stone Massage and Organic Facial, Delicious Farm Produce Lunch with Wine or Hot Springs Bath House and Picnic
Where is it? Grampians
On the doorstep of Halls Gap National Park in the Grampians, this accommodation provides a stunning natural environment for an escape from the city. Choose from cosy self-contained units or a luxurious two-bedroom cottage.
- Star rating: 3.5 stars
- Romantic features: Gardens, spa, wellness centre, bicycle rental and picnic area
- Why do we love it? Rent a private cottage and spend the day cycling through the national park.
- Best for: The great outdoors
- Romantic things to do: Get out amongst nature with a hike or cycle your way through the area
5. The Manse
Where is it? Daylesford
Just minutes' walk from the Daylesford Day Spa and Convent Gallery in Daylesford, guests of The Manse will enjoy its historic setting, jacuzzi, massage services and stunning views.
- Star rating: 4 stars
- Romantic Features: Jacuzzi, day spa, massage and beauty centre
- Why do we love it? Pamper yourselves with the full day spa experience, including a steam wrap, mud scrub and facial in the on-site treatment rooms.
- Best for: A complete unwind
- Romantic things to do: Mineral Springs Spa and Massage or Relaxation Massage Facial Treatment and Foot Soak
Where is it? Ballarat
This immaculately designed house provides the perfect setting for a secluded, private hideaway in historic Ballarat North. It is completely self-contained.
- Star rating: Unrated
- Romantic features: Cosy living spaces and secluded gardens perfect for morning coffees
- Why do we love it? Take the week off and spend the days exploring historic Ballarat.
- Best for: A holiday steeped in history
- Romantic things to do: Spend a day amongst the koalas at Ballarat Wildlife Park or take a stroll through Sovereign Hill
Where is it? Yarra Valley
Situated on a golf course amongst the Yarra Valley's vineyards, and offering complimentary breakfast, the Yarra Valley lodge is an escape that's just 45 minutes from Melbourne -- perfect for a couple's getaway.
- Star rating: 4.5 stars
- Romantic features: Championship golf course, regionally sourced restaurant, nearby vineyards
- Why do we love it? Treat yourselves to a Taste of the Yarra Valley package with a three-course dinner included.
- Best for: Countryside escapes
- Romantic things to do: High Tea with Sparkling at Elmswood Estate or Wine and Cheese Tasting with a Three-Course Italian Lunch
Where is it? Bendigo
Get those sparks flying once again with your own private tent, a glamorous queen-size suite, robes to snuggle up in and vineyards less than a stone's throw away. Spend your day immersed in your favourite wines before enjoying a night under the stars.
- Star rating: 5 stars
- Romantic features: Claw-foot outdoor bath, a la carte breakfast and a wine tasting
- Why do we love it? Wake up to uninterrupted views of the vineyards on your doorstep
- Best for: Untraditional getaways
- Romantic things to do: Enjoy a wine tasting with your special someone at the Balgownie Estate
Where can I find these romantic places to stay in Victoria?
How did we pick these hotels?Our editorial team selected the hotels on this list based on price, location and real customer feedback from hotel booking sites and review platforms. Where applicable, we used our own personal experiences to make recommendations.
Still looking for that perfect romantic getaway?
Top romantic places to stay in Victoria
- Great Ocean Road: One of Australia's most famed drives, Great Ocean Road can get a bit crowded, but sneaking away into a private room or villa overlooking the coast is a sure-fire win. Starting about an hour south of Melbourne, the winding coastal road has more beaches than you can visit in a weekend, a range of walking tracks and mouth-watering local eateries in each town along the way. See here for our full guide for a romantic weekend on the Great Ocean Road.
- Yarra Valley: There's just something a little bit romantic about a wine region and one of the country's best happens to be in Victoria. The Yarra, surrounded by the rolling hills of the Dandenong Ranges, is home to about 300 different vineyards. Less than 90 minutes from Melbourne, the Yarra is a popular place to take a serene hot air balloon ride. It's definitely something to add to your bucket list.
- Daylesford: This is the destination in Victoria to unwind and indulge in spa treatments. Soak in the goodness of nearby Hepburn Springs mineral water at a range of bathhouses including ones modelled after Japanese spas. About 90 minutes from the city, the area is home to more than 70 mineral springs and about 30 spas.
- Mornington Peninsula: A landscape that combines some of the best Victoria has to offer, Mornington Peninsula has it all: beautiful coastal drives, wineries, hot springs and a range of walks. Just an hour south of Melbourne, it's perfect for a short getaway or even a day trip.
- Murray River (Echuca): If you've ever wanted to step back in time, here's the place to do it. Find the world's largest fleet of paddle steamer boats and town tours by horse-drawn carriage - or consider doing one that visits local vineyards.A 2.5-hour drive from Melbourne, it's the perfect place to take a cruise along the Murray River.
- High Country (Falls Creek): Much quieter outside the peak winter season, Victoria's high country is a tranquil, Alpine wonderland during the summer months where you can take quiet bushwalks, paddle on Rocky Valley Lake or just revel in the scenery by day and cosy up by a warm fire during the cool evenings. At a 4.5-hour drive from Melbourne, you might want to do this one on a long weekend, but similar alpine escapes can be had a bit closer at Mt Buller, which is 3.5 hours from the city.
Want to get a proper feel for Victoria? Check out exactly where you can hire a campervan in Melbourne with our guide.
Top Victoria hotel deals
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
Ask an Expert