Investing doesn’t need to be complex and intimidating. Clover takes a personalised approach and invests on your behalf based on your unique circumstances.
Clover is a hassle-free online service that invests your money in a diversified portfolio of Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) on your behalf, taking the stress out of investing. Launched in 2015, Clover uses a disciplined, Nobel Prize winning approach to managing your money. They take the time to understand your personal risk profile in order to develop an investment strategy for your personal situation.
Clover allows you to invest for less, and charges no setup fees, no exit fees, no advice fees and no rebalancing fees. This means you get a better financial experience for a fraction of the cost.
How many portfolios does Clover offer?
Clover believes every investor is unique, so it builds a customised portfolio for each investor. When you join, Clover will ask you a series of questions, which the company uses to construct your personal portfolio based on your risk tolerance, financial goals and investment timeline.
Portfolios use Exchange Traded Funds that finance experts have carefully selected for their low management fees and high levels of diversification. All portfolios include a mixture of Australian shares, global shares, bonds and cash to guarantee diversification. Clover keeps a close eye on your portfolio and makes adjustments where necessary.
Clover will build a unique portfolio for each investor based on the following;
- Conservative. 20% shares
- Moderate. 40% shares
- Balanced. 60% shares
- Growth. 75% shares
- Aggressive. 90% shares
Can I customise my portfolio?
Clover does not allow the creation of “do it yourself” portfolios. You can’t customise your portfolio, but Clover will recommend portfolios to you.
What fees does Clover charge?
The only fee you pay is the Clover fee. The Clover fee is based on your balance regardless of which type of portfolio you get. The Clover fee is charged monthly in arrears and is automatically debited from your account.
|Account balance||Clover fee|
|$2,500+||$5 + GST per month|
|$10,000+||0.65% + GST per year|
|$50,000+||0.60% + GST per year|
|$100,000+||0.55% + GST per year|
|$500,000+||0.45% + GST per year|
Clover does not charge performance fees, and they absorb all trading commissions so there is no cost to you when Clover trades on your behalf. Clover also does not charge any entry or exit fees.
What asset classes can I invest in?
Your portfolio is constructed from a list of Exchange Traded funds that provide exposure to different asset classes so you have a diversified portfolio.
- Australian Shares. Clover offers access to nearly 200 Australian listed companies.
- International Shares. Clover can access shares in over 1,500 of the world’s largest companies listed across the U.S, Europe and Japan.
- Emerging markets. Clover can access over 3,500 of the largest companies in emerging economies such as Brazil, China and India.
- Property. Clover provides access to Australian property such as shopping centers, office buildings and residential.
- Enhanced cash. Clover can give you a mix of bank deposits, term deposits and short money market securities.
- Bonds. Clover has access to bonds issued by high-quality companies and the Australian government.
Does Clover offer access to socially responsible investing?
You can opt to invest in socially responsible investments. If you do, they will make up between 20% and 75% of your portfolio. These portfolios will comprise the same mix of asset classes, but will incorporate different shares which are socially responsible investments.
Socially responsible investments are those companies that are not heavily involved in things like alcohol, tobacco, gambling, pornography, controversial weapons and fossil fuels.
Clover does not charge higher fees for portfolios which include socially responsible investments. However, the inbuilt fees charged by the firms that manage these Exchange Traded funds are slightly higher.
What are the benefits of using Clover?
- Minimum investment of $2,500. To get started, you need to invest at least $2,500.
- Personal risk profile. When you begin, Clover will ask you to complete a series of questions to determine your personal risk profile. This will allow Clover to develop a portfolio that suits your level of risk tolerance, from low-risk to aggressive.
- One simple fee. All you will pay is the Clover fee, meaning you will spend less time worried about what fees you need to pay.
- No entry or exit fees. Clover does not charge any fees to get started and does not charge an exit fee if you wish to discontinue your investment.
- No performance fees. Clover does not charge a performance fee on investment returns.
- No trading commission fee. Clover absorbs all trading commissions, so there is no cost to you when Clover trades on your behalf.
- Save time and relax. Clover takes care of your investment portfolio so you have more time to sit back and relax. Clover keeps a close eye on your portfolio and makes adjustments where necessary.
- Nobel Prize winning research. Clover’s investment strategy is based on Nobel Prize winning Modern Portfolio theory. It seeks to optimise returns through each risk level based on diversification, low management fees and an understanding of an investor's risk profile, goals and investment timeline.
- Six asset classes. Clover invests in Australian shares, global shares, emerging markets, property, bonds and cash. All assets are held under your name.
How do I get started with Clover?
- Register online at the Clover website.
- You will need to provide information on how much you earn and spend.
- Fill in your age and information about your education level.
- Answer a series of five questions that will help determine your attitude towards risk.
- Choose to opt in to socially responsible investments.
- Clover will then recommend a portfolio based on your answers to the previous questions.
- Choose how much money you would like to invest with Clover to begin with, starting from $2,500.
- Choose if you would like to set up optional monthly contributions or not.
- Clover will then show you what your portfolio would be worth over time.
- If you’re happy with this, you will be asked to sign up and confirm your email address.
- You will be asked to provide your personal details including name, birthdate, address, employment status and tax file number.
- Invest your money then sit back and let Clover do the rest.