Virgin/Rex price war continues with $69 flights to Canberra
New Rex flights continue to shake up air travel with flights from Melbourne to Canberra.
- The new route will operate twice daily from 10 June 2021.
- At these prices tickets aren't going to be around for long, so head to KAYAK to book.
Rex Airlines is once again entering the fray against Qantas and Virgin Australia.
Today it announced a new route with fares from Melbourne to Canberra starting at $69 one way.
These new flights take to the skies on 10 June 2021.
"The cheap fares will add a further boost to the tourism and hospitality industries in the ACT and make it really affordable for Canberrans to visit friends and family and attend sporting events in Melbourne," Rex deputy chairman John Sharp said.
Rex estimates that its entry will save Canberrans over $150 million a year once travel returns to pre-COVID levels.
Seats are available now so head to KAYAK and book your tickets today.
How do these Rex flights compare?
Rex has hit out hard. At only $69, these fares are over 60% cheaper than the lowest prices Qantas has for the route at $197. That's a lot of money saved if you're a frequent flyer between the two cities.
Rex was certain that its competitors would make moves to match and were proven right with Virgin slashing prices down from $174 to $69.
These Rex flights aren't part of a specific promotion so be sure to get in quick, we don't know how long they'll last.
These fares at a glance
- Great flexibility: Due to the ongoing pandemic, Rex is offering a COVID Refund Guarantee. This offers customers a full refund if their plans are impacted by COVID-19. This guarantee also includes any travel restrictions and border closures.
- Great airline: Rex Airlines is one of Australia's full-service carriers. Enjoy 23kg of checked baggage, a light meal and 7kg of carry-on included in your airfares.
- Good frequent flyer points: Join the Rex Business Flyer program and earn 2 flights for every 18 you take. A 2-year membership is only $99. One membership covers all business staff so there's no need for individual memberships. The regular Rex Flyer program for Economy class passengers is expected to return in the future.
- Great travel time: No need to worry about connections with this one.
- Okay weather: March to May is the best time to visit Canberra. June brings a winter chill that sets in over the city. Fortunately, Canberra's fantastic museums provide a warm escape and accommodation tends to be cheaper during this period.
Never miss a flight deal! Check out our full list of all the latest flight sales.