Review: What to expect from the Madame Tussauds Sydney TikTok challenge
Here's a fun way to keep the kids entertained over the spring break.
Another school term has completed and the quarterly dilemma of where to take the kids for their school holidays has begun.
If you're one of those parents, don't worry because Madame Tussauds Sydney has got you sorted.
The wax museum has enlisted a Sydney sports star, a comedian, an actor, a dancer and a model to host a series of TikTok challenges throughout the museum.
All up there are six challenges to complete:
- Fashion Challenge: Model Lyndl Kean (@lyndlkean) shows you how to strut your stuff on the catwalk.
- Party Challenge: Comedian Christine Abadir (@christineabadir) challenges you to pose with as many A-Listers as you can in 15 seconds.
- Music Challenge: Dancer and actor Marlon Woods (@marlonwoods_) teaches you an entire dance routine.
- Sport Challenge: Former Olympian Sonny Webster (@sonnywebstergb) guides you through sporting poses with icons such as Tim Cahill and Layne Beachley.
- Film Challenge: Actor Caitie Browne (@caitiebrowne) has you pick out a song from Grease and dance to it.
- All Access Challenge: Madame Tussauds Sydney's (@TussaudsSydney) Rhys Phillips asks the question "Who do you rather?" across various zones.
The challenge runs from 25 September to 31 October and participants who share their creations on TikTok, tagging in @Tussaudssydney and hashtagging #MTSChallenge, go in the running to win a Merlin Annual Pass.
We were invited to test out the challenges and here's what went down.
What to expect
The new interactive installation is perfect for any child that has gotten onto those TikTok trends.
The six different challenges across the museum keep things exciting and will guarantee a good laugh for the kids, the content creators and the person behind the camera.
The process is also very simple whereby you scan the QR code on your smartphone and then you are led to the challenge video where a high-profile influencer will explain the challenge to you in a short one-to-two-minute video.
Each section has its own theme: sport, fashion, music, film, party or all-access.
As the challenges are quite broad, you can make your TikToks as basic or as creative as you please – which is perfect for TikTokers of all levels.
The fashion and all-access challenges were the easiest and saw you walking down a catwalk/ramp or posing with the celebrities in the room.
Of the lot, the dance challenge was the hardest, requiring you to learn an entire dance routine and then re-do it for the camera.
The one I enjoyed the most though was the sport challenge. It had a well-explained video by former Olympian Sonny Webster where he teaches you to pose like iconic athletes, including Layne Beachley and Tim Cahill.
- The song was popular TikTok track "Woah" and I had my own fun adding my personality to the video.
Here's how my video turned out:
@monishabhogalGave the sport challenge a shot (get it) @sonnywebstergb @tussaudssydney ##MTSChallenge♬ Woah - KRYPTO9095
My tips for taking on the Madame Tussauds TikTok Challenge:
- Wear comfortable shoes so you can walk around and do the more active challenges easily.
- If you're set on winning this competition, watch the videos before heading to the museum and encourage your kids to learn the dance challenge in particular (that one was extremely difficult).
- Carry a battery pack with you in case your phone runs out of charge.