Resume writing services
Asking for professional writing help can give you a step in the right direction.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
With the job market growing more competitive every day, finding creative ways to stand out from a huge pool of applicants has to become a priority. The downside? Endlessly tweaking your resume and editing your cover letter is time-consuming. That's where resume writing services come in.
Your resume is the first thing a potential employer sees, so you want to put your best foot forward. Reaching out to a professional resume writer will help you make a better first impression, land more interviews and find a new job faster.
Here are a few things to know before taking the plunge with a resume writing service.
What's in this guide?
- What are resume writing services?
- What are the features of resume writing services?
- What do resume writing services include?
- Get access to resume writing services online
- How much do resume writing services cost?
- Pros and Cons of resume writing services
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions about resume writing services
What are resume writing services?
A company offering resume writing services typically employs a team of professional writers who specialise in resumes. That means they know how to best package your experience and achievements so that you come across as an ideal candidate for the exact type of jobs you seek.
Following a brief consultation, either face-to-face or via phone/online, a writer will craft an eye-grabbing resume tailored to your industry and professional objectives. They can also revise an existing resume, craft a top-notch cover letter, offer career counselling, spruce up your LinkedIn profile and more.
What are the features of resume writing services?
Finding a solid resume writer can take trial and error, but it's a good idea to make sure anyone you're considering for the gig meets your high standards.
All reputable resume writing services have some features in common:
- Credible – read online reviews for the company/writer and ask for resume samples or testimonials
- Experienced – if possible, look into the qualifications of the writers the company employs and check their credentials
- Knowledgeable about ATS - depending on the industry, your resume must include keywords and phrases that applicant tracking system software will detect
- Realistic – stay away from writers or companies that guarantee you'll get a job or a set number of interviews for the cheap; they're likely only looking to make a quick buck.
What do resume writing services include?
Companies specialising in resume writing services often offer writing packages, so you can pick the one that best suits your career level and needs. For instance, the cover letter is sometimes included with the resume. Other times, it costs extra.
Generally speaking, a resume writing service includes:
- Briefing session – the writer needs to find out everything there is to know about you, your work history, education and professional goals
- Resume writing – the writer will draft a resume based on the information you've provided
- Editing – once you receive your resume, you can usually then ask for changes
- Cover letter – having your resume and cover letter written by the same writer will ensure that your application has a consistent tone
- Selection criteria response – the list of essential skills, knowledge and qualifications you fulfil to be eligible for the job
- LinkedIn profile – either updating your existing profile or creating one.
Get access to resume writing services online
Does your company belong in this list?
How much do resume writing services cost?
Resume writing services typically cost between $100 and $400. You can pay less if you shop around in more detail. Look for professional resume writers on websites like Airtasker, Fiverr or Upwork. On Airtasker, for instance, the average cost of a resume writer in Melbourne is $30 - $80. You can also take advantage of a host of free resume templates online.
The total price will depend on a variety of factors – like career level (the more senior the position you're after, the more you'll pay), add-on services (updating LinkedIn, interview coaching) and how fast you need it (expect to pay extra for fast turnaround).
Pros and Cons of resume writing services
- A professional resume helps you impress hiring managers/recruiters
- Can help you get past ATS software
- Resume writers are up-to-date with changing industry standards.
- Can be expensive
- May not be necessary if you're a skilled writer.
Hiring resume writing services is worth it when you have the cash and lack the free time to craft or update the resume yourself. If you think your money would be better used elsewhere, there are plenty of free resume templates online that can help you write a stellar resume from scratch.
Frequently asked questions about resume writing services
How fast will I get the resume?
This depends on the deadline you set with the resume writer. Companies usually provide a turnaround of 3-7 business days. You can get it in as quickly as 1-2 days if you're willing to pay an additional fee.
How do I know if I need to hire a resume writing service?
Let's put it this way – if you've been on the job market for a while and aren't landing any interviews, you may well benefit from the extra help.
A resume writer isn't a magician, so they can't make you qualified for a job if you're clearly not. However, they can provide invaluable assistance when it comes to presenting your experience and achievements in an effective way.
It's also worth looking into hiring a professional when you're going for a promotion at your current job. They will know how to highlight your most impressive accomplishments.
How many resume revisions can I ask for?
This varies from company to company and writer to writer. Most offer up to two rounds of revisions. Don't be misled by false claims and always read the fine print. Even if a company guarantees unlimited revisions, these usually "expire" after a certain amount of time has passed.
More guides on Finder
Web developer resumes
Find out what to include in a web developer resume and how a customisable template could help you land your dream job.
Campervan hire on the Gold Coast | Where to book, what to know
Take your vacation to the next level with a campervan hire on the Gold Coast.
Graphic designer resume templates (Australia)
Get set up for success with a CV that matches high-quality visuals with the right words.
How to start an SEO business
Helpful tips for starting and running a successful SEO agency.
How to start an eBook writing business
Start your own eBook writing business with our guide to the skills, equipment and legal documents you’ll need.
How to start a painting business
Learn the key steps to take when setting up your own painting business.
How to start a virtual assistant business
Get set up to provide support services remotely with our guide to launching a virtual assistant company.
Hospitality resume templates (Australia)
A top-notch resume will bring you one step closer to securing your dream hospitality job.
Sales assistant resume templates (Australia)
Find out how to write a sales assistant resume that will help you stand out from the crowd.
Administrative assistant resume templates
If you're an assistant on the hunt for a new job, a polished resume is a vital first step.
Ask an Expert