Free resume templates (Australia)
What you need to include in your resume for your next career move.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you find yourself job hunting you'll need to write a resume, or curriculum vitae (CV), to send along with your applications. Knowing how much to write and what to include can seem daunting when there's so much on the line.
To help you out, we've compiled a guide to what you need to know to get started – including where to find free resume template resources.
What exactly is a resume?
A resume is an essential document for applying for a job. It tells the potential employer about your work experience, skills, and education to help them decide whether you could be the right person for the role and they should invite you to interview.
If you are applying for a job in a creative industry, you may be required to produce a resume in a different format, for example, a video.
When should I use a resume?
A resume is typically required at the first stage of the job application process. You send the resume to the hiring manager or recruitment firm along with a cover letter to express your interest in applying for the role.
How effective is a professional resume?
Studies have shown that recruiters spend an average of only 6-7 seconds skim-reading a resume – so, it's fair to say you need to make an impression quickly.
A potential employer is unlikely to read every word, emphasising the importance of tailoring your resume to include only the key details most relevant to the role. A well-crafted resume provides the recruiter with enough information at a glance to decide that they should interview you.
Get a resume template to meet your needs
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What should a resume include and not include?
A resume lists your contact details so that the hiring manager can get in touch with you. It includes sections summarising your career objectives, work experience, skills, achievements, education, and interests that are relevant to the job you're applying for.
What is included in a resume?
You should break down your resume into easily digestible sections:
- Contact details. Your name, address, phone number and email address tell the employer how to contact you.
- Career profile or summary. Your profile should be a 3-5 sentence introduction that impresses the hiring manager and encourages them to read on.
- Work experience. Provide summaries of your previous jobs, working backwards with the most recent listed first. Include the start and end date of each job, the name of the employer, your position and your key responsibilities and accomplishments.
- Education. List the details of your relevant education and qualifications in reverse chronological order.
- Skills and interests. A bullet point list of skills helps the hiring manager to see your relevant strengths at a glance.
- References. You do not need to provide details of your reference, but you can include a line stating that references are available on request.
What is not included in a resume?
There is no need to include personal information such as your marital status, age or religion in your resume and you do not need to attach a photo.
You should avoid writing too much detail in any of the sections. If the pages are too packed with text, the hiring manager is likely to discard your resume as too time-consuming to read.
How do I write a resume?
To capture a recruiter's attention you should write your resume in clear, short sentences, using keywords from the job ad to show your experience and skills are a good match. Some recruiters use software to scan resumes before they read them, discarding those that lack sufficient keyword mentions.
Focusing on measurable accomplishments is more likely to capture the potential employer's attention. For example, "I led a team of 25 sales associates that increased revenues by 50% to $15 million last year."
An Australian resume is typically two pages for a graduate applicant and three or four pages for an experienced professional. Once you have written your resume, edit it to make sure there are no typos or grammar mistakes – they are a sure way to stop the recruiter from reading on.
You can find a free template online to help you structure your resume. Searching for resume examples relevant to your industry and experience will help you decide what to write.
Resume vs cover letter
A resume is an overview of your professional experience, while a cover letter is a summary of who you are and why you're qualified for the role. The cover letter accompanies the resume and is specifically tailored to the job you're applying for and addressed to the recruiter.
Where else can I find resume templates online?
Besides the templates in the table above, you can also use the sites below.
- Resume.io. Resume.io is a website that offers resume examples, writing resources, and templates. You can use its online resume builder for free. Its subscription service lets you create multiple versions of your resume and download a PDF with a premium design theme for $24.95 per month, with a 75% discount for six-month or 12-month subscriptions.
- Job Jumpstart. Job Jumpstart is an Australian government website created to help young people aged 15 to 25. It provides a free resource toolbox that includes fully customizable resume templates and tips.
- SEEK. SEEK is an employment marketplace that provides free career advice and resources. You can download a selection of free resume templates to your computer.
- LawDepot. LawDepot provides a range of free online documents, including a resume builder. Fill it in online before downloading the resume straight to your computer.
Read more on this topic
Web developer resumes
Find out what to include in a web developer resume and how a customisable template could help you land your dream job.
Graphic designer resume templates (Australia)
Get set up for success with a CV that matches high-quality visuals with the right words.
Hospitality resume templates (Australia)
A top-notch resume will bring you one step closer to securing your dream hospitality job.
Resume writing services
Here are some key tips on hiring a resume writing service that can help to take your career to the next level.
Administrative assistant resume templates
If you're an assistant on the hunt for a new job, a polished resume is a vital first step.
Free high school resume template (Australia)
A high school resume template will help you showcase your skills and accomplishments in style.
Free first time job resume template (Australia)
Writing a good resume is the first move in launching your stellar career.
Free Resume Templates for Microsoft Word
Using a free Microsoft Word template will help you create a resume in record time.
Free Adobe InDesign Resume Templates
If you struggle with creating a resume, using a template will save you time and effort.
Free minimalist resume templates (Australia)
Where to find free templates to help you craft a minimalist resume that stands out from the competition.