Research and Development (R&D) Agreement templates (Australia)

Fins out how to use sample contracts to write your own legal document and keep down costs.


Fact checked

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

If your company's aiming to create new designs, ideas, processes or products, you may well need a research and development agreement template. In this guide, we signpost you to sample templates that can be tailored to your specific needs. Plus, we cut through the legal jargon and let you know what needs to be included in your agreement.

What is a Research and Development Agreement?

At its simplest, a Research and Development Agreement is a legally binding document that sets out the terms and conditions between a client and a research provider. It outlines what work is to be done and who owns the intellectual property of the results of that work. This type of agreement typically covers a number of other elements such as liability, termination and dispute resolution.

When should I use this type of agreement?

You can use this agreement when you wish to hire a research service provider to help you generate new ideas and concepts. All parties should sign the agreement before work begins or any money is exchanged.

Here are some of the key situations for when you might use this agreement:

  • Expertise. You might be hoping to utilise the expertise of a research provider (commonly known as a Research Service Provider, or RSP).
  • Tax offset incentives. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides Research and Development tax offset incentives to some incorporated corporations. Using an agreement can help prove that you're eligible.
  • Tax offset eligibility. For some smaller businesses, a Research and Development tax offset is only available if the company uses a research service provider (RSP).
Data indicated here is updated regularly
Name Product What's offered? Starting price to become a member Annual Fee from Any free legal documents?
Legal documents and templates, Access to lawyers, Legal guides, Legal advice
$79 per month (billed monthly)
Essentials: $288
You can view samples for free and you can create your first document for free.
Choose an annual plan from just $288 and get unlimited revisions to your legal or business documents. Plus, unlock exclusive partner offers.
Legal documents and templates, Access to lawyers, Legal guides, Legal advice
$7.99 per month (prepaid for one year)
You can view samples for free and you can create your first document for free.
Get free legal documents in five to ten minutes.
Legal documents and templates, Access to lawyers, Legal guides, Legal advice
$699 (or choose a free template)
Some documents are free to download. Get access to all documents with a membership.
Pick between a fixed-fee package from $99 and a 12-month plan that unlocks a host of membership benefits for $699.
Legal documents and templates, Access to lawyers, Legal guides, Legal advice
Varies per template
Get legal templates for any business type in Australia.
Legal documents and templates, Access to lawyers, Legal guides, Legal advice
$199 per month (bill monthly)
Some documents are free to download. Get access to all documents with a membership.
Your business can take advantage of unlimited lawyer consultations, fast turnaround times and free legal templates with LegalVision.
Law Central
Law Central
Legal documents and templates, Legal guides, Legal advice
Free for the Silver membership
Gold: $99
You can view samples and create your own document for free with the Silver membership.

Compare up to 4 providers

Is it possible to claim tax relief for my research and development?

It may well be possible, but this will depend on your circumstances. The ATO provides a 43.5% refundable tax offset incentive on research costs for eligible entities who conduct research and development. A specialist accountant can help claim this offset at tax time. The government's website has a useful list of research service providers who can help you meet eligibility.

Research and Development Agreement vs Joint Development Agreement vs IP Agreement

A Research and Development Agreement is also known as an R&D Agreement or a Joint Development Agreement (in other words, the terms are interchangeable). An IP Agreement, or an Intellectual Property Agreement, is similar to a Research and Development Agreement and will form part of it. The key difference is that an IP Agreement is focused on existing IP and may not include what happens to new discoveries that come about as a result of a piece of research.

What does a Research and Development Agreement include and not include?

You can tailor your Research and Development Agreement to your individual needs. There are a number of key clauses that are usually included to protect the interests of the client and the research provider. These may include:

Typically included

  • Statement of relationship. The research provider usually works independently of the client's business and is responsible for their own tax matters.
  • Intellectual property clause (IP). It should be clear, for example, that although researchers may discover or create intellectual property, the rights belong solely to the client.
  • Non-disclosure clause. A confidentiality clause may detail that the provider won't share any sensitive client information. This can include research results.
  • Termination clause. State how the agreement might end by a certain date or by an action by either party. Include reasonable notice periods and compensation for early termination.

Typically not included

It's helpful to prove eligibility for the ATO tax offset through this type of agreement. Your eligibility success may be greater if you don't include activities that will make you ineligible. Typically, you won't need to include the following:

  • Activities with outcomes that can be known or determined in advance on the basis of current knowledge, information or experience.
  • Activities that do not proceed from hypothesis to experiment, observation and evaluation, and lead to logical conclusions.
  • Market research.

Do I need a lawyer for a Research and Development Agreement?

As previously mentioned, a Research and Development Agreement is legally binding. So, it might make sense for you to seek the help of a legal professional (but ultimately, that's your call to make). To keep costs down, you can use templates and samples to prepare your own agreement. Then a legal professional could look over the document to point out anything you might have missed, or anything that should be edited.

How do I write a Research and Development Agreement?

This type of agreement can be as short as one page or go into far more detail. One way to start is to familiarise yourself with an Independent Contractor Agreement before you look to develop a full Research and Development Agreement. Other options include:

  • The Australian Government's IP Australia website has useful checklists that can help plan both the project and the agreement.
  • and Law Insider both have sample clauses that you can use to write a Research and Development Agreement.
  • A Research Service Provider (RSP) itself may have a set agreement that it uses with clients. This could provide a useful springboard for you to start tailoring an agreement to your specific needs.
Back to top

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site