Can you repay your business loan early?
Will paying off your business loan early save you money or cost you more? Find out in our guide.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Getting out of debt is a great thing no matter what type of loan you're repaying. But it's especially great with a business loan because it means you'll have more cash flow freed up to re-invest back into your business.
But before you repay your business loan early it's important to know whether you will be charged early repayment penalties. This guide will take you through what you need to know before you repay your business loan ahead of schedule.
Business loans you can compare
Can you repay your business loan early without penalty?
|Lender||Can you repay early without penalty?||Find out more|
|Business Fuel Loans||View loan|
|Max Funding||View loan|
How do I repay my business loan early?
Early repayment differs depending on the type of business loan you have. If you have a business term loan it would just involve getting in contact with your lender and asking to make an additional repayment or repaying the entire loan early. Here, you should confirm there are no early repayment fees.
If you have a line of credit you can arrange payment on your own. In either case, make sure your payment has gone through and that you are only being charged for what you owe after making your additional repayment, not the original amount.
Should I repay my business loan early?
Generally speaking, if your lender has no prepayment fees and no discharge fees then you can save money by paying the entire business loan back sooner. If your lender does have early repayment or discharge fees then it might still be possible to save money with early repayments, or it could end up costing you even more.
Here is what to consider before repaying your business loan early:
- Determine how much you could save with early repayment. Add up the total amount you will spend on interest over the rest of the loan period and factor in any ongoing fees. This is the total amount you might save if you were to repay it all today.
- Subtract any prepayment or early discharge fees from the amount you can save. Pay close attention to the type of fee it is (percentage, flat sum, etc) and do not assume that all lenders have similar costs. Early repayment fees can range from nonexistent to exorbitant, so they are worth paying close attention to.
- The amount you are left with is the value you will save if you pay off your loan early. If the figure is negative, it means that repaying your loan early will actually cost you more than it will save you.
Here is what to keep in mind:
- If you want the option of repaying a loan early, it can be worth looking for a lender that doesn't charge prepayment fees. Don't forget to compare the benefits and interest rates too. Sometimes you might want to go with a lender, even if they have prepayment fees, because of the other benefits they offer.
- Use an online calculator to see how certain repayment options can help you save more money, while others can cost you more. Ideally, your chosen repayment plan will be perfect, but choosing a provider without early repayment or discharge fees is a good way of planning for the best.
Weigh up the pros and cons of repaying your loan early
It might seem like a good idea to pay back your business loan early, but even if there are no prepayment or discharge fees it might not be in your best interests.
- Save money by paying less interest
- Your business credit score will improve if you are debt-free
- It will free up money to reinvest in your business
- You may be able to get a new loan with better rates and terms elsewhere
- You can avoid ongoing fees
- Interest paid on business loans is tax deductible and you will lose this tax deduction. If this affects your tax bracket then it might cost you more than it saves you.
- You need to be sure that repaying early is the best choice for your business and your finances. The last thing you want to do is repay a loan early only to have to take out a new one because business is slow and you have no cash reserves.
- Early repayment and discharge fees may apply, and can be substantial. In some cases this could be a set percentage of the remaining balance, which can make big early repayments entirely unsuitable.
Early repayment isn't always the right option, and providers without prepayment fees are not always an ideal choice. However, it is an important factor to consider when comparing business loans. Even if you choose not to use it, simply having the option of paying a loan back early without worrying about hidden costs is always good for peace of mind.
More guides on Finder
Brighte Personal Loan
Looking to renovate your home? Find out more about Brighte's personal loan for home improvements and ways in which it may be able to benefit you.
Endeavour Mutual Bank Special Fixed Home Loan
The Special Fixed Home Loan from Endeavour Mutual Bank is a fixed rate mortgage for owner-occupiers and investors.
Planning your retirement? Here are 4 things you need to know about reverse mortgages
SPONSORED: A reverse mortgage could let you use some of your home equity to fund your retirement costs. Here's what you need to know.
Sydney Mutual Bank Special Fixed Home Loan
The Special Fixed Home Loan from Sydney Mutual Bank is a fixed rate mortgage for owner-occupiers and investors. Available with a 5% deposit.
Budget 2020: How your business can benefit
The Federal Budget includes a number of new schemes that could help your business including tax offsets, asset write-offs and wage subsidies for new hires.
How Budget 2020 will affect you
The complete guide to how tax changes and new regulations will hit your wallet.
Hunter United Fixed Home Loan
The Fixed Home Loan from Hunter United is a fixed rate loan with options for home buyers and investors.
Free Loan Agreement Templates (Australia)
Learn how to write a loan agreement and find out where you can get free legal templates.
Everything you need to know about Amazon Prime
Confused about the services that Amazon Prime offers? Check out our guide on everything you need to know about Amazon's speedy delivery service.
The top sites you need for buying baby clothes online
Whether you want to splurge or get something more affordable, this is where you can purchase a wide range of baby clothes online.
Ask an Expert