RentPay offers a safety net for renters in the form of a loan of up to 1 week’s rent. Fees and charges apply.
RentPay’s SafetyNet is a short-term line of credit you can use to cover your rent. If you’ve been a RentPay customer for over 30 days, you can activate SafetyNet to access the loan. No interest is payable, but you will be charged various fees. Fees include an activation fee, a monthly fee and fortnightly fees for the duration of the loan. The loan term is 8 weeks and you can borrow a maximum of 1 week’s rental payment. The faster you pay off the loan, the less fees you’ll pay.
Term of loan
How does the RentPay SafetyNet loan work?
RentPay is a payments and planning app for renters. It offers a short-term line of credit called SafetyNet that allows renters to borrow up to 1 week’s rent. You can use the funds to pay for your rent in case you fall short. You need to be an existing RentPay customer for at least 30 days to be eligible to use this facility. SafetyNet is bundled with the Scorebuilder feature.
What features does the RentPay SafetyNet loan offer?
- Short-term loan. You have up to 8 weeks to repay the loan. You can repay the loan sooner if you wish.
- No interest, only fees. You won’t be charged interest for this loan, but fees will apply.
- Borrow up to 1 week’s rent. You can borrow up to a week’s rent. How much you can borrow will depend on your credit score.
- Funds paid to a secure wallet. Once you’ve been approved for the loan, the funds will be paid directly to your secured RentPay wallet. You can access your funds from there.
- 4 fortnightly repayments. Your repayments, inclusive of fees, will have to be made fortnightly. You’ll have 8 weeks to make the repayment and 4 repayments in total.
- No penalty for early repayments. If you want to repay the loan early, you can do so without paying a fee.
How much does the RentPay SafetyNet loan cost?
This loan does not charge interest. You will have to pay:
- Loan principal
- Scorebuilder activation fee of $3
- Scorebuilder monthly fee of $1
- SafetyNet fortnightly fee of $4 while you’re repaying the loan
You may also be charged:
- Missed payment fee of $15 if you miss a fortnightly instalment
What are the pros and cons of the RentPay SafetyNet loan?
- Convenient. If you’re short on your week’s rent, you can access funds to pay it off.
- No interest. You won’t be charged interest for the loan.
- Fees can add up. While no interest is charged, you will be paying fees. This includes the monthly fee to use the app. While you’re repaying your loan, you will also have a fortnightly fee to pay. Fees will also be charged if you miss a payment, so make sure you’re on top of it.
- Only for existing RentPay customers. You need to have been using the app for over 30 days to qualify.
Am I eligible for this loan?
To be eligible for this loan, you need to be an existing customer of RentPay. You will need to opt in for the Scorebuilder feature for at least 30 days. You also need to be over the age of 18.
How do I apply for this loan?
Once you’ve opted in for Scorebuilder for 30 days, you can activate SafetyNet through the RentPay dashboard. There is no application form. Once you’re approved, the funds will be paid into your secure wallet.