How to get renter’s insurance for shared accommodation

Can I get renter's insurance if I live in a share house?

If you're living in shared accommodation and need contents insurance, you may struggle to find an insurer willing to offer you the protection you need.

However, all is not lost. There are home insurers out there that will provide people living in share accommodation with insurance cover, although there may be a couple of caveats. Conditions vary considerably when it comes to share-houses and the partial leasing of your home to a tenant. You should check with your insurer about the specific conditions of your policy before letting out a room or taking out a policy.

Who offers cover for share houses?

Finding cover for a share house can be tricky. The conditions surrounding share accommodation can be confusing and, often, the specific details are not listed in the product disclosure statement (PDS). So we contacted several Australian home insurance brands and asked them to answer the most important questions for house sharers:

Can I get cover for individual contents or does the policy have to be taken out for the entire household?

WoolworthsThe policy covers all tenants
YouiThe policy covers all tenants
AAMIYou can get individual cover
AllianzThe policy covers all tenants
Australian UnityThe policy covers all tenants
CGU The policy covers all tenants
GIOYou can get individual cover

Is there a maximum number of unrelated people that can live in the home?

WoolworthsMaximum of three (3) unrelated people
YouiMaximum of three (3) unrelated people
AAMINo maximum listed (unable to confirm)
AllianzMaximum of three (3) unrelated people
Australian UnityMaximum of three (3) unrelated people
CGU Maximum of two (2) unrelated people
GIOMaximum of five (5) unrelated people

Does the insurer require proof of tenancy?

Australian UnityNo

Can I pay my premiums monthly?

Australian UnityYes

What should I look for when it comes to getting renter's insurance?

When looking for renter's insurance for a share house you'll want to find a policy that offers:

  • Cover for damage to your contents in case of fire or theft
  • Removal of damaged contents after fire or theft
  • Storage for undamaged contents after fire or theft
  • New for old replacement

What is covered by renter's insurance?

Renter's insurance typically covers you for:

  • Artwork. Items covered include antiques, art objects, paintings, pictures, ornaments, sculptures and works of art.
  • Collections. Items covered include currency no longer in circulation, medals, collectors pins, stamps and stamp collections.
  • Frozen or refrigerated food. Includes cover for items of food or medicine kept in the fridge or freezer.
  • Home entertainment. Items covered include audio and video media, and computer and game console software.
  • Home office equipment. This include items used for a everyday business activity.
  • Jewellery. This includes rings, watches, earrings and other items containing precious metals and stones
  • Money. This includes cash, documents able to be cashed or traded, phone cards, money orders, smart cards, stamps or vouchers.
  • Precious metals and stones. Items covered include bullion, gold or silver nuggets, ingots, and uncut or unset gems.
  • Tapestries. Cover for carpet or rugs that are hand woven.
  • Tools of trade. This cover tools and equipment used for a business activity.

What's not covered by renter's insurance for share accommodation?

When it come's to renter's insurance and share accommodation, there are two main conditions to ask your insurer about:

  • How many people can I get cover for? You won't find this condition listed in the PDS, so you'll need to ask the insurer directly. Most insurers provide cover for a maximum of three (3) unrelated people living in the share-house. We've outlined the answers for several major insurers above.
  • Am I covered if my roommate steals from me? Unfortunately, you're going to have a hard time finding any insurer that will cover you for theft-by-roommate, so be careful who you agree to share with.

General exclusions from most renter's insurance policies include:

  • Claims related to tenants, boarders or guests of your roommate
  • Illegal acts or activity
  • Computer viruses
  • Biological, chemical, other pollutant or contaminant
  • Building extensions
  • Consequential loss
  • Deliberate acts of damage
  • Failing to care for contents
  • Electrical or mechanical breakdown
  • Electronic data
  • Power surge
  • War
  • Wear and tear

Apply for renter's insurance today and protect your contents

Details Features
Gold Contents
Gold Contents
Save 15% on cover when you purchase a Gold Contents Insurance policy online.
  • Cover for your contents
  • Cover against theft, storm and rainwater, fire and more
  • Accidental breakage cover
  • Cover for uninsured guest contents up to $500
Go to site More info
Contents Insurance
Contents Insurance
Protect your possessions in the event of theft or natural disaster. Get a 15% discount when you purchase cover online
  • Cover for household contents
  • Cover for contents away from the insured address
  • Cover for fire, explosion, theft, malicious damage and more
  • Choice of lump sum or instalment payments
Go to site More info
Contents Insurance
Contents Insurance
Save 15% when you purchase cover online. Covers your possessions including furniture, appliances.
  • Up to $20 million legal liability cover
  • Includes fire, explosion and theft cover
  • Optional cover for accidental damage
  • Optional flood cover
Go to site More info
Contents Only
Contents Only
Save 15% and receive 5,000 Velocity Frequent Flyer Points when you purchase new Virgin Contents Insurance Price Saver online. T&Cs apply.
  • Up to $20 million legal liability cover
  • 21 day money back guarantee if a claim has not been made
  • Optional extras on offer
Go to site More info
Contents Insurance
Contents Insurance
Receive 15% off Dodo contents insurance when you purchase cover online.
  • New for old replacement cover
  • Automatically insured for fire, storm, rainwater and theft
  • Adjustment of sum insured at renewal
  • $20 million legal liability benefit cover
Go to site More info
Contents Insurance
Contents Insurance
Up to a 19% discount on policy if home is occupied day and night. Terms and conditions apply.
  • Cover for loss or damage by theft, attempted theft
  • Storm, including lightning, wind, hail and snow cover
  • Optional tools of trade cover up to $5,000
  • Optional accidental damage cover up to $5,000
Go to site More info
Comprehensive Contents Insurance
Comprehensive Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% when you purchase Woolworths Contents Insurance online before July 31.
  • $8,000 outdoor contents cover
  • $5,000 home contents cover
  • $1,000 food spoilage cover
  • $2,000 electrical motor burnout cover (optional)
Go to site More info
Picture: Shutterstock

Richard Laycock

Richard is the senior insurance writer at and is on a mission to make insurance easier to understand.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

2 Responses to How to get renter’s insurance for shared accommodation

  1. Default Gravatar
    Helen | February 23, 2017

    I am thinking of renting out my 3 spare rooms to people who work near by. Can you advise me on an Insurance company that will insure for home and contents and personal liability for 3 unrelated people living in our home in Sydney. Would they have to take out personal renters insurance or would I have to. Our existing insurance company doesn’t allow more than one unrelated person living in our home. I would appreciate your advice on this matter.

    • Staff
      Zubair | February 23, 2017

      Hi Helen,

      Thank you for your question.

      On the second table on the top of this page, you can find some insurers who offer cover for up to a maximum of three unrelated people.

      Please make sure though to read the eligibility criteria, features and details of the policy, as well as the relevant PDS/T&C’s of the policy before making a decision and consider whether the product is right for you. If necessary, speak to the insurance brand to verify any details.


Ask a question