Realme 5 review
Quick verdict: The Realme 5 has a long battery life and decent performance for a low price, but it doesn't offer as much value for money as other phones in Realme’s line-up.
- Very affordable
- Large battery
- Includes a fingerprint scanner and headphone jack
- Average camera
- Shows fingerprint marks
- Load time when multitasking or gaming
720 x 1600px
12MP + 8MP + 2MP + 2MP
Finder rated as Good vs similar phones
- 6.5-inch display with 89% screen-to-body ratio
- Quad-lens 12MP + 8MP + 2MP + 2MP camera array
- 5,000mAh battery
Power, storage and battery
|Launch price (RRP)||$299|
Realme launched several phones in Australia last year, including the mid-range Realme 5. At a considerably lower price tag than many competing handsets from more well-established brands, the Realme 5 has a lot to offer.
- Comes in two colours
- Decent screen size
- Has a headphone jack
- Includes a fingerprint sensor
- Back of phone shows fingerprint smudges
- Quad-lens rear camera
- 13MP selfie camera
- Supports 4k video recording
- Suitable for regular use but not gaming
- Fingerprint scanner is awkward to use
- Some load time when multitasking
- Speakers are adequate, but not impressive
- Large, 5,000mAh battery
- No fast or wireless charging
- Micro-USB charger
- Decent value for money
- Not at appealing as the Realme 5 Pro or Realme C2
Should you buy it?
While the Realme 5 offers a lot for the price, it suffers from a bit of middle child syndrome.
For $100 less, you can get the Realme C2, which has a slightly weaker performance, but an excellent battery life and a design that looks more expensive than it is. For just $100 more, you can get the Realme 5 Pro, which packs a lot more bang for its buck than the Realme 5.
Ultimately, the Realme 5 isn't a poor choice, but it doesn't have as much to offer as some of the other phones in the brand's Australian line-up.
Pricing and availability
- Price: RRP $299
- Where to buy: Amazon, The Good Guys, Bing Lee, JB Hi-Fi , Realme
DisplayDisplay Size6.5 inchesResolution720 x 1600pxPixels per inch (PPI)269 ppi
CameraRear camera megapixels12MP + 8MP + 2MP + 2MPRear camera aperture sizef/1.8 + f/2.25Video recording4KFront camera megapixels13MPFront camera aperture sizef/2.0
Physical DimensionsDimensions164.4mm x 75.6mm x 9.3mmWeight198g
ConnectivityNFCNoWi-Fi802.11 a/b/g/n/acNetwork category speedN/A
Power, storage and batteryProcessorQualcomm Snapdragon 665RAM4GBOperating systemAndroid 9Internal storage128GBExternal storage supportUp to 256GBBattery capacity5,000mAh
Device featuresHeadphone jackYesFingerprint sensorYesWater resistance ratingN/AWireless chargingNo
- Samsung’s Note 20 will go on sale in Australia from 21 August
- Best tech deals of the week: Lenovo, Dell and Catch
- Canon EOS R5 vs EOS R6 hands-on: Features, price, release date, specs
- EOFY 2020: Top 20 tech deals so far
- Apple shifts to “Apple Silicon”, but does that mean you should hold off buying new Macs?