Razer Ornata V2 gaming keyboard review
Quick verdict: The Razer Ornata V2 makes small yet smart refinements to the original Ornata Chroma, resulting in an excellent gaming keyboard that balances precision with comfort.
- Mecha-membrane switches deliver clear and consistent feedback, while feeling soft to the touch
- Leatherette wrist rest is comfortable and supportive
- Synapse app makes customisation a breeze
- On the higher end of the price spectrum for a non-mechanical keyboard
- It's not drastically different from the original Razer Ornata Chroma
In 2017, Razer attempted to bridge the gap between mechanical and membrane keyboards with the Razer Ornata Chroma. Featuring custom "mecha-membrane" switches, the Ornata Chroma wanted to capture the clicky feedback of a mechanical keyboard without the stiff resistance that typically accompanies it. It did just that, impressing me with both its performance and its comfort.
Three years later, Razer has decided to refresh the Ornata design in the form of the Razer Ornata V2. While it doesn't break any new ground this time around, it makes enough improvements to earn its spot among the best hybrid gaming keyboards on the market.
- Maintains the clean and simple style of its predecessor
- New multi-function wheel and media keys are great additions
- Leatherette wrist rest is as comfortable as ever
- Mecha-membrane switches deftly balance comfort and performance
- Feels significantly more resilient than a traditional membrane keyboard
- Fully reprogrammable keys and HyperShift support
- Deep RGB customisation options
- Razer Synapse app remains the gold standard for configuration software
Should you buy the Razer Ornata V2?
- Buy it if you want tactile feedback from keys that still feel soft to the touch.
- Don't buy it if you already own the original Razer Ornata Chroma and have little need for dedicated media keys.
If you're looking for a keyboard that delivers clear and clicky feedback without the stiff resistance of traditional mechanical switches, the Razer Ornata V2 is one of the best options currently available. It might not differ dramatically from its predecessor, but that's okay. The original Razer Ornata Chroma was already an excellent keyboard, and the Ornata V2 makes enough small yet smart improvements to justify the V2 moniker.