RAM 3500 will tow up to 8,000kg!
RAM Trucks Australia has announced its largest ute to date, the RAM 3500
The impressive specs for this ute make it sound like a truck in disguise. RAM Australia modestly calls it a full-size pick-up.
RAM 3500: Mind-boggling specs
- Powerful 6.7-litre turbodiesel engine. The 6.7-litre turbodiesel inline 6 is supplied by renowned commercial powertrain producer, Cummins. It boasts 276kW and a monstrous 1,152Nm!
- Class-leading towing capacity. The RAM 3500 can tow up to 8,000kg! That's more than the Tesla Cybertruck can reportedly haul. For perspective, the benchmark for the average ute is 3,500kg, 2.28 times less! That means the RAM 3500 could tow a couple of standard utes, a small bulldozer or an average-sized T-Rex!
- Gargantuan payload. The RAM 3500 can carry 1,724kg in the tray! The bed is huge, at 1.93 metres in length.
- Comfortable spec list. The RAM 3500 is certainly not an agricultural ute. It has a 10-speaker sound system from Alpine (with a subwoofer), interior carpeting, partial leather seating, 4 x USB ports, a 7-inch digital driver cluster and a 12-inch infotainment touchscreen. The driver and front passenger seats are power-adjustable and have heating/ventilation. The 3500 also has dual-zone A/C, keyless entry, remote starting, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in addition to a sensible selection of safety assists.
- Extensive testing and planning. RAM Australia spent 50,000 hours developing the 3500. Prototypes drove 80,000kms on rolling roads, 50,000km out on public roads and were put through a 20,000km durability shakedown.
- Optional accessories. Some of the options for the RAM 3500 include larger tow hitches as well as a gooseneck style hitch (this unlocks the full towing capacity). There's also a Driver Assist Package available.
How much does the RAM 3500 cost?
As you can imagine, a serious machine with such staggering capabilities, rolled into a luxury ute, isn't cheap.
The recommended retail price list starts from $162,950 (excluding on-roads) for the RAM 3500 Laramie Crew Cab. However, there are few utes (if any) that can equal this heavy-duty dual-cab.
What is RAM Trucks Australia?
Based 30 minutes from Melbourne, RAM Trucks Australia (a trading name of American Special Vehicles Pty Ltd) owns a licence from RAM North America to import and convert US-spec utes to right-hand drive. They do this on a dedicated, multi-million-dollar assembly line. The company employs Australian engineers, technicians and designers and works with local suppliers in Clayton, Victoria. Each RAM built in Australia requires up to 400-locally supplied components.