Ram 2500 Laramie, RamBox and Sport appearance: Specs | Pricing | News
This isn’t a ute. It’s a heavy-duty, super ute. With a ridiculous 6.7-litre diesel engine and over 1,000Nm of torque, it’s a heavy-duty towing machine.
- Insanely powerful engine
- Will pull like a road train
- Up to 6.9 tonnes towing capacity
- Big beasty
Ram Trucks Australia imports this behemoth from the US and converts it to Aussie spec in the Melbourne suburb of Clayton.
The Ram 2500 is sold in a variety of different paint colours:
- Black Pearl. A pearlescent black paint finish.
- Bright Silver. A bright, metallic silver paint.
- Bright White. A solid white paint option ideal for tradies or those who want to sign-write their ute.
- Flame Red. A solid red paint finish.
- True Blue Pearl. A deep, pearlescent blue paint.
- Granite Crystal. A smart-looking metallic grey paint.
To make the Ram 2500 even more useful, there's a variety of genuine accessories on offer:
- Bed step. A foldaway step that helps you scale the distance between the ground and the 2500's tray.
- Cargo ramps. Collapsible ramps make loading up a motorbike or ATV a doddle.
- Bed mat. A Ram badged mat for the tray.
- Tri-fold tonneau cover. This soft cover hides away valuables and stops building materials from blowing away in the wind.
- Side bed rails. These side bed rails will make an ideal place to tie load covers to, or provide a grab handle for climbing in and out of the tub.
- Wheel-to-wheel side steps. Provide a handy ledge to climb into the cab.
- Tie-down rails. These tie-down rails sit inside the rear tub and provide a secure lashing point for cargo.
- Front air deflector. This accessory should reduce stone chips and windscreen damage. Ram sells it in either chrome or a smoke effect.
- Rubber mats. These mats are designed to trap water, mud or snow from ruining your interior.
- Side window air deflectors. You can keep your side windows cracked, even in heavy rainstorms, for a breeze.
- Chrome door protectors. These moulded pieces protect the four passenger doors from collecting dents from other drivers in carparks.
- Chrome tailgate handle. The chrome tailgate latch also has an integrated camera.
- Pedal kit. This pedal kit offers something different to the standard factory pedals.
- Stainless steel sill protectors. These Ram-branded sill covers should protect your door sills from scrapes and scratches.
- Chrome exhaust tip. A chrome exhaust extension.
- Ram protection. Various optional coatings can be applied to the interior to keep leather hydrated, preventing milk and coffee stains as well as halting mildew growth. Externally, Ram can protect your paintwork against tree sap, rail dust, watermarks and clear coat delamination, as well as maintaining the colour and gloss of your paint.
This is the ultimate ute for towing. It's powered by a 6.7-litre turbocharged Cummins, that pumps out a pretty road-train-like 276kW at 2,800rpm and a mind-boggling 1,084Nm at 1,600rpm. That's obscenely low revs. For comparison the LandCruiser 200 has 650Nm.
Harnessing the raw energy of this block and sending it to the axles is a six-speed automatic transmission made by Chrysler.
What's the difference between the Standard, RamBox and Sport Appearance 2500s?
A standard 2500 is well equipped for an "entry model". It has 18-inch alloys, on/off-road tyres, halogen projector headlights, seating for six, a leather front bench seat, power-adjustable front seats, heated and cooling functions for the front passengers, power windows in the front, an electric rear sliding window and an 8.4-inch touchscreen. There's Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, steering wheel controls, a reversing camera and a camera for the cargo. You do indeed get a good amount of stuff for your money.
RamBox models get the forenamed cargo system, which has dual 243-litre storage boxes that are remote locking and have lights in them. The cubbies are integrated into the actual tub sides. This allows users to store all manner of tools and equipment out of view. There are even drain holes to let you put away wet items. Ram says it makes an ideal cubby for golf clubs, chainsaws, fishing rods and more. You could follow that suggestion and fill it with ice, with each having space for 140 drinks. RamBox models also get performance shock absorbers.
Finally, there's the Sport Appearance Ram 2500. This model also has performance suspension, in addition to black accessories. The Ram 2500 also has badges, 20-inch alloy wheels, all-terrain tyres, tubular side steps as well as a unique grille and front bumper.
Ram 2500 Express and Laramie dimensions
Here are the key dimensions of the Ram 2500:
Ram Laramie 2500 measurements and capacities
|Width between rear wheel wells||1,295mm|
|Towing, braked||Up to 6,942kg (using pintle)|
|Fuel economy (combined)||Not listed|
|Kerb-to-kerb turning circle||13.28 metres|
|Ground clearance (lowest point)||218mm (8.58 inches)|
|Fuel tank capacity||117 litres|
Ram 2500 pricing
There are numerous versions of the Ram 2500.
For the 2500 Laramie (with a 6-foot, 4-inch tub), you'll pay $140.950. An 8-foot tray model costs the same. A Sport Appearance model costs $146,550. A RamBox 2500 can be bought for $145,350.
The above prices do not include on-road costs.
Why buy a Ram Trucks Australia Laramie 2500?
Why would you want to purchase the super-ute 2500?
That massive diesel engine will pull like a road train. Using the right pintle (and providing your licence allows for it), you can haul up to 6,924kg. That's almost double an ordinary ute.
An alternative to a LandCruiser 200
Maybe you want the features of a LandCruiser 200, but need a ute load bed. The Ram 2500 could well tick that box.
The tub on the Ram 2500 is huge. Ram can import 2 different lengths, a 6-foot, 4-inch tub or an 8-foot one. The tub will easily swallow the average ATV.
Supporting Australian business
The Ateco Group, the distributors of Ram Trucks, imports left-hand drive US-spec models and converts them at a facility in Victoria. As of April this year, the group had 160 employees and sourced locally designed right-hand drive conversion parts domestically. Buying a Ram 2500 will support Ram and maybe encourage other manufacturers to follow suit, replenishing the national automotive manufacturing industry.
Are there any downsides to buying a Laramie 2500?
Well, the huge diesel engine will probably glug fuel. But that's something you'll have to live with if you want to have a pick-up that can tow as much as this thing. Also, its sheer size and heft might make it a bit of a struggle to wrestle around small roads and carparks.
Also, having such a gargantuan engine tied to a six-speed automatic might leave you wanting for additional gear ratios.
When's the next model expected?
The Ram 2500 on sale in Australia is one of the fourth generation examples, first sold in the US in 2010. In the US, the 2019 model has an improved spec with a 12-inch touchscreen, the option to buy a Harman/Kardon sound system and additional active safety assists. It also has LED headlights. The model has also been face-lifted, so Ram Australia may look at bringing that model here or wait a few years until another generation 2500 comes out.
Warranty, servicing, roadside assistance
Ram Trucks Australia backs the 2500 with a 3-year, 100,000km warranty. Buyers receive equivalent roadside assistance.
The company doesn't offer capped price servicing and we couldn't find any maintenance costs online.
There are 52 Ram Trucks Australia dealers located nationwide.
Running costs will be relatively high for the Ram 2500, thanks to its mass and the jumbo diesel engine. However, there's not much on the road that can match it for towing and load length capacity, at least in this segment.
Compare some options to finance a Ram Trucks
Ask an Expert