Ram 1500 EcoDiesel ute: Specs | Pricing | News
A US truck, converted to right-hand drive in Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
- Diesel engine
- Spacious cab
- Good spec
- Laramie Express is better on fuel
- Towing capacity reduced to 3.5 tonnes
Ram Trucks Australia converts imported US pick-ups into right-hand drive ute-killers. Here’s everything you need to know.
The Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel is available in three different paint colours, fewer options than its V8-engined siblings:
- Granite Crystal. A smart looking metallic grey paint.
- Bright White. A solid white paint option ideal for tradies or those who want to sign-write their ute.
- Billet Silver. A metallic silver paint finish.
The Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel has quite an extensive list of factory accessories.
- Heavy-duty splash guards. Thick rubber mud flaps with Ram logos, Ram also offers rigid versions.
- Bed step. A retracting bed step makes climbing into the back of the 1500 easier.
- Off-road wheel flares. Add-on wheel arches should help keep mud from splashing all over the body and give protection against trees and debris.
- Cargo ramps. Ram offers optional lightweight aluminium ramps that make loading up a motorcycle or ride-on mower into the rear of your 1500 a cinch.
- Bed mat. Ram offers a reinforced rubber mat for the 1500 to protect the bed and make cleaning simple.
- Tri-fold tonneau cover. Keep your tools out of sight under this cover.
- Bed extender. If the Ram's long tray isn't big enough for you, the company sells a tubular frame that allows you to ride around with the tailgate dropped.
- Premium carpet mats. Ram makes front and rear carpet mats complete with the company logo.
- Front air deflector. This accessory should reduce stone chips and windscreen damage.
- Rearview mirror with reverse camera display. A rear-view mirror that has an integrated 3.5-inch display showing the reversing camera picture.
- Side window air deflectors. You can keep your side windows cracked, even in heavy rainstorms, for a breeze.
- Rubber mats. These mats are designed to trap water, mud or snow from ruining your interior.
- Chrome grille. Buyers can specify a Ram-branded silver grille.
- Trailer brake controller. This device shows how much braking force the trailer is taking. There's a sliding controller to allow manual adjustment.
- Black alloys. For drivers who want something a little different, these matte-finish, six-spoke alloys offer a different look.
- Sport performance bonnet. Ram says this hood is for show, but it has two scoops and an optional vinyl decal is available separately.
- Cat-back exhaust system. This stainless steel dual exhaust features polished tips, with Ram saying it increases power and torque.
- Black pack. $5,000. As the name suggests, this pack adds 20-inch alloys, badging, a grille, bumpers, headlight surrounds and special paint, all in black.
- RamBox. $4,500. This option is unique in the ute segment. Both sides of the tub have 121-litre, built-in, lockable storage compartments set into them. The lockers have drains, so you can throw in wetsuits after a surf, fishing gear and bait, muddy workwear and tools or even fill it with ice to use as a fridge. It's also illuminated. Compatible optional accessories include a duffel bag and a cooler.
- Ram protection. Various optional coatings can be applied to the interior to keep leather hydrated, preventing milk and coffee stains and halting mildew growth. Externally, Ram can protect your paintwork against tree sap, rail dust, watermarks and clear coat delamination, as well as maintaining the colour and gloss of your paint.
Ram Trucks Australia sells the 1500 with a petrol V8 or the diesel V6. Check this page for information about the 1500 5.7-litre V8 models.
The EcoDiesel engine is a 3.0-litre V6. It's rated for 179kW at 3,600rpm and 569Nm at a very low 2,000 rpm. That means the EcoDiesel has more torque overall and more usable torque at lower revs than on the larger V8 models.
The Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel uses an 8-speed automatic transmission supplied by gearbox specialists, ZF Friedrichshafen.
What's the difference between the EcoDiesel and petrol 1500s?
The biggest difference is obviously the smaller capacity, diesel engine. It has more torque than the petrol 1500s and that torque kicks in at a lower rate of revs. That should mean you notice the EcoDiesel is a bit quicker to pick up speed off the mark and it should handle the extra burden of a trailer nicely.
However, the petrol models with the same 3.92 final drive ratio can tow heavier trailers. The EcoDiesel will haul a 3.5-tonne trailer with brakes, while an equivalent petrol 1500 can shift up to 4.5 tonnes.
Fuel economy sits between a petrol 1500 Express (9.9l/100km) and the V8 Laramie (12.2l/100km) at 11.9l/100km combined.
The diesel model also has the lowest tub payload among the 1500s at 735kg. It's also the most expensive 1500 in Australia.
Ram 1500 EcoDiesel dimensions
Here are the key dimensions of the Ram 1500:
Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel measurements and capacities
|Width between rear wheel wells||1,295mm|
|Towing, braked||3.92 axle ratio: 3,500kg|
|Fuel economy (combined)||11.9L/100km|
|Kerb-to-kerb turning circle||12.1 metres|
|Ground clearance (lowest point)||235mm (9.25 inches)|
|Fuel tank capacity||98 litres|
Ram 1500 pricing
The Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel sells for around $109,950.
Who does the 1500 EcoDiesel suit? Why should you buy a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel? Which Ram 1500 should you buy?
Why would you buy the 1500? Which Ram Trucks Australia describe as a full-size ute?
The diesel engine delivers maximum torque at lower levels, which is ideal for people who need to tow trailers up to 3,500kg. Some might prefer diesel engines, especially rural buyers.
Luxury ute interior
The Laramie spec 1500s have a lot of equipment for a ute. You might like these models if you spend a lot of time in the cab driving long distances, for example.
Supporting Australian business
The Ateco Group, the distributors of Ram Trucks, imports left-hand drive US-spec models and converts them at a facility in Victoria. As of April this year, the group had 160 employees and sourced locally designed right-hand drive conversion parts domestically. Buying a Ram 1500 will support Ram and maybe encourage other manufacturers to follow suit, replenishing the national automotive manufacturing industry.
Are there any downsides to the 1500 Express or Laramie?
No vehicle is perfect. The 1500 is no different. With a thumping great 5.7-litre V8, it's not the most fuel-efficient ute. The turning circle might also make it a bit of a handful around town.
Are there any downsides to the 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel?
There are a few downsides to the EcoDiesel against its petrol-engined relatives. Surprisingly, fuel economy isn't as keen as the 3.21 final drive ratio 5.7-litre V8. Also, you can't tow as much as the 5.7-litre Laramie 1500. Don't forget to factor in the higher purchase price.
When's the next model expected?
The Ram 1500 sold in Australia was first released in America back in 2008, as the fourth-gen. In the US, it has been renamed the "Classic", but is still on sale alongside the fifth-generation Ram.
News reports online suggest that Ram Trucks Australia plans on bringing the DT, fifth-generation Ram 1500 here. There's no official acknowledgement yet, so it could be next year or it could take a few years to arrive. In the US, the new ute has a mild-hybrid system too, which would make it a very unique vehicle for its class.
Warranty, servicing, roadside assistance
Ram Trucks Australia backs the 1500 EcoDiesel with a 3-year, 100,000km warranty. Buyers receive equivalent roadside assistance.
Servicing intervals are 12 months or 12,000km. The company doesn't offer capped price servicing and we couldn't find any maintenance costs online.
There are 52 Ram Trucks Australia dealers located nationwide.
Running costs for the Ram 1500 are going to be pretty high. With a combined fuel usage of 11.9L/100km, the 1500 sits at the top end of the ute market for fuel usage. As the petrol V8 Rams can tow heavier trailers, you might feel you're not getting the full benefit of this beefy ute.
Compare some options to finance a Ram Trucks
More guides on Finder
Best utes to buy with your $150k business tax write-off
With up to $150k to use as a write off, which ute should you buy for your business?
Mitsubishi Triton ute loans
You could drive away a Triton ute for as little as $361 a month.
Best ute off-road
Ever wondered which ute will travel further off-road?
Ram 2500 Laramie, RamBox and Sport appearance: Specs | Pricing | News
With a ridiculous 6.7-litre diesel engine and over 1,000Nm of torque, the Ram 2500 Laramie is a heavy-duty towing machine.
Ram 1500 Express and Laramie V8 Hemi: Specs | Pricing | News
Tow up to 4.5 tonnes with a Ram Trucks Australia 1500 Express V8 5.7-litre Hemi or 1500 Laramie V8 5.7-litre Hemi.
Which ute is the best?
Which ute can carry the heaviest loads? Which tray will haul the bulkiest cargo? Find out with our ute dimensions comparison.
RAM 1500 diesel truck coming
Here's the scoop on the new RAM 1500 Laramie model, with a diesel donk!
Ask an Expert