QUOINEX cryptocurrency exchange review
Buy bitcoin, Ethereum and other leading cryptocurrencies using fiat currencies on QUOINEX, with zero fees on BTC/AUD pairs.
This exchange is no longer active and has rebranded to Liquid
As of September 2018, QRYPTOS and QUOINEX have rebranded to the Liquid platform. Deposits and withdrawals have been frozen on both exchanges.
Quoinex records have been transferred to Liquid. Funds and accounts on QRYPTOS and QUOINEX have both been migrated to Liquid. Users are able to log in with their existing credentials.
This guide has been retained for archival purposes. Information no longer applies as this exchange is no longer active.
|Product Name||QUOINEX Cryptocurrency Exchange|
|Fiat Currencies||JPY, USD, SGD, AUD, EUR, CNY, PHP, HKD, INR, IDR|
|Cryptocurrencies||BTC, ETH, QASH, XRP, BCH, NEO, UBTC, RKT, QTUM, BCH, DASH|
What is QUOINEX?
QUOINEX is a fiat-crypto exchange platform that was launched in 2014 and originally known as Quoine Exchange. Fully regulated in Japan, the platform handles in excess of US$12 billion in annual transactions.
QUOINEX is owned by QUOINE Corporation, which is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, and also has offices in Singapore and Vietnam. QUOINE is a fintech company focused on blockchain and cryptocurrencies and it also offers a separate cryptocurrency-only exchange known as QRYPTOS.However, at the time of writing (11/04/2018) only BTC, ETH and QASH were available in AUD pairs.
QUOINEX as a global exchange supports most countries (including Australia) except for restricted regions.
Which payment methods are accepted?
You can deposit funds into your QUOINEX account in the following ways:
- Bank transfer of fiat currency
- Cryptocurrency deposit (BTC, ETH)
How much will it cost me to use QUOINEX?
As of 25 March 2017, each trader on QUOINEX has what is known as a base currency pair. This pair is decided by their country of residence – for example, the base currency pair for Australian residents is BTC/AUD, while the base currency pair for Japanese residents is BTC/JPY. Trading in your base currency pair on the platform does not attract any trading fees, but fees apply when trading in other pairs.
|Base currency pair (BTC/AUD)||Non-base currency (including altcoins)|
|Trading fee||Zero fees||0.25% (BTC and BCH pairs)|
0.1% (ETH pairs)
Deposits to QUOINEX are free, and there are no fees for withdrawing cryptocurrency from your account. However, a fee does apply to fiat withdrawals. For example:
- AUD withdrawals: $5 fee
- USD withdrawals: $5 fee
- EUR withdrawals: €5 fee
Are there any transfer limits?
Individual trading accounts with QUOINEX can withdraw up to $30,000 daily for a maximum $300,000 monthly equivalent. This limit can be raised upon request to $50,000 daily for a maximum of $500,000 monthly.
Corporate account withdrawal limits start at $100,000 per day and $1 million per month but can be upgraded to $150,000 and $1.5 million respectively upon request.
Is it safe to use QUOINEX?
The team behind QUOINEX claims that the exchange platform was built with security at its core. As a result, it employs a variety of protective measures to help protect customer assets, including:
- Multi-factor authentication. Sessions are timed and the platform provides three layers of signatures for customer accounts.
- Private API key. This key remains hidden in your trading dashboard at all times.
- Whitelisted IP addresses. All verified bitcoin addresses and IP addresses with API access are whitelisted, and no other addresses will receive access to your account.
- Encryption. All of the personal information you provide to QUOINEX is encrypted.
- Logging. IP addresses and access points are logged to help you detect any suspicious activity on your account.
- Wallets. Customer cryptocurrency holdings are kept in segregated wallets, with BTC funds stored in multisig cold wallets.
- KYC. In order to sign up for an account, you’ll need to satisfy KYC (know your customer) requirements, including providing a valid form of ID and proof of address.
If you ever need help with your account, QUOINEX offers a fairly comprehensive selection of FAQs. However, if you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, you also have the option of submitting a support ticket through your account.
Pros and cons
- Supports fiat deposits in multiple currencies.
- No trading fees on base currency pairs.
- Mobile trading apps available.
- Established trading platform backed by large fintech company.
- Two-factor authentication support and an emphasis on security of funds.
- Margin trading available with leverage of up to 25:1.
- Trading dashboard can be customised to suit your needs and preferences.
- Regulated in Japan.
- You can access a wider range of crypto coins and tokens on other exchanges.
- Low trading volume on some pairs.
Frequently asked questions
At the time of writing, the author holds IOTA and XLM.