Where do I still need to wear a mask in Queensland? – November 2022
Find out all the information you need to know about Queensland mask rules, and regulations regarding rapid antigen tests (RATs) in the state.Edit product set
Like the rest of Australia, Queensland has had some turbulent experiences while trying to handle the COVID pandemic. With the rise of Omicron subvariants in the state, masks and RAT kits remain hugely significant, and as such, rules and regulations exist governing their use.
To help you navigate this complex situation, we've created this guide to Queensland's mask rules and protocols around the use of RAT kits. If you need to purchase these items, head over to our guides for buying face masks and RATs in Queensland.
Queensland mask rules
Masks are recommended in the following settings:
- If you're diagnosed with COVID-19 or have symptoms of an acute respiratory infections
- If you're a close contact
- Wherever you can't socially distance
- In healthcare settings
- On public transport and rideshares
- Indoors where you cannot socially distance
- If you're older or at risk
- If you are around an older person
Buy masks in Queensland
Different types of masks
Surgical masks and cloth masks, once considered indispensable pandemic tools, are no longer favoured by experts. Surgical masks are single-use and are often bought in bulk quantities, while cloth masks can be washed and reused, and can even be made DIY.
There is a consensus among exerts that N95, KN95 and P2 masks are far better options to protect yourself and your community from the extremely transmissible Omicron variant. All 3 mask styles are similar, forming a tight seal and filtering out 94–95% of particles.
RAT rules in Queensland
Following a positive result, it is recommended that you self-isolate until you no longer have acute respiratory symptoms.
Buy RATs in QueenslandEdit top picks
- Use code: HEALTH20 at checkout for 20% off RATs
- Same day order processing
- Nation-wide shipping, from Sydney
- Accepts Apple Pay
- Buy 1, get 1 Free
- Ships nationwide
- Fast Results in 15 Minutes & ARTG approved
- Free shipping over $100
- Accurate detection with high sensitivity and specificity
- Convenient self-testing
- Reliable and fast results in 15 minutes
- Free shipping over $140
- Offers Afterpay
- Accepts Apple Pay
- Accepts PayPal
- TGA approved
- Very high sensitivity: sensitivity of 95.1%; specificity of 100%
- Convenient at-home self-testing kit
- Results in 15 – 20 mins
- Easy to use and easy to read results
How to use a RAT kit
Unsure as to how RAT kits work or need a refresher? NSW Health has produced this helpful, generic video. Keep in mind that instructions vary from brand to brand.