Qatar Airways launches new routes ahead of schedule
Qatar Airways is accelerating expansion plans.
Qatar Airways, fresh off once again taking away the Best Airline of the year award, has announced ambitious plans to push forward its new routes for 2017.
It will begin flights to Sohar, Oman, on 8 August and then on 21 August it will start daily flights to Prague, in the Czech Republic.
This is just the start of its dramatic expansion plans. There are a total of 25 new routes through Qatar anticipated for 2017-2018, including flights to and from Canberra, as well as cities in Brazil, Thailand, USA and many more.
Doha - Sohar
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
- Doha (DOH) to Sohar (OHS) QR 1132 departs 13:20 arrives 16:10
- Sohar (OHS) to Doha (DOH) QR1133 departs 17:10 arrives 18:05
Doha – Prague
Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday
- Doha (DOH) to Prague (PRG) QR 289 departs 02:30 arrives 07:40
- Prague (PRG) to Doha (DOH) QR 290 departs 09:25 arrives 16:25
Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- Doha (DOH) to Prague (PRG) QR 291 departs 08:00 arrives 13:10
- Prague (PRG) to Doha (DOH) QR 292 departs 17:10 arrives 00:10 +1
Big news for Australian travellers
If you can get to Doha, you can get to anywhere else Qatar Airways is flying, so every new route opens up much easier travel opportunities for Australians. This is especially good news for those outside of Melbourne and Sydney, who will definitely be glad to see lower airfares come to town.
Qatar Airways is resuming its daily Doha - Adelaide flights later this year, and will be commencing Canberra flights too, adding them to its current roster that includes Perth, Melbourne and Sydney.
As an added bonus, Hamad International Airport is probably one of the world's best places to make a transfer. The airport itself features an airside pool, and better-than-most shopping and dining, along with plenty of kids spaces and more.
If you're transferring through Doha on Qatar Airways, and staying overnight, it's also worth noting that you can pick up a free night in a five-star hotel to see you through the night in comfort.
- Virgin Australia VA-X and Win competition: All the details
- Virgin Australia’s new economy fares explained: How much can you save?
- AirlineRatings Awards 2021: How did Qantas and Virgin fare?
- New Zealand flights: Travel bubble to start, but which airline has the best price?
- New Zealand travel bubble opens: Rules and costs explained