Qantas’s next “points plane” is a Jetstar flight to Japan
All seats on flights from Cairns or the Gold Coast to Japan are bookable with points.
Qantas's latest points plane promotion makes all available seats on Jetstar flights leaving the Gold Coast and Cairns for Japan bookable with Qantas Points.
The promotion runs from 3-17 September 2019, and the eligible travel dates are 12 November 2019 to 12 December 2019. The promotion includes both return and one-way flights.
If you're not based in the Gold Coast or in Cairns, you can connect from Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide with the required points rising slightly as a result (see the table below).
The promotion also includes flights on Jetstar Japan's network of 16 domestic destinations including Tokyo (Narita), Sapporo, Nagasaki, Osaka and Okinawa among others.
How do I book a seat on one of the points planes?
To book a seat, you'll need to head to the Qantas website and follow these instructions:
- Log in to your frequent flyer account
- Visit the Qantas promotion page to see if your intended flights are part of the promotion.
- Search the Qantas website for your flights, making sure that "Use Points" is selected
- Select and pay for your flights
How many points will you need to fly to Japan on a points plane?
It depends where you're flying from, but below is a selection of routes and the Qantas Points needed:
|Flight||Class||One-way/return||Qantas Points required||Fees payable|
|Gold Coast to Tokyo (Narita)||Economy class||Return||43,000||$237.23|
|Gold Coast to Tokyo (Narita)||Business class||Return||96,000||$487.23|
|Cairns to Tokyo (Narita)||Economy class||Return||43,000||$261.96|
|Cairns to Tokyo (Narita)||Business class||Return||96,000||$511.96|
|Sydney to Tokyo (Narita) via Cairns||Economy class||Return||52,000||$293.90|
|Melbourne to Tokyo (Narita) via Gold Coast||Economy class||Return||52,000||$266.24|
|Adelaide to Tokyo (Narita) via Cairns||Economy class||Return||52,000||$298.03|
What business class seats are available through this promotion?
If you want to fly in the pointy end, Jetstar only has business class seats on its international flights flying the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
The cabin configuration is 2-3-2 and the seats are similar to premium economy on a full service airline.
A Jetstar business class ticket includes the following:
- A wider leather seat
- Meals, snacks and wines
- 2x carry-on bags up to 7kg each
- 30kg of checked luggage
- Inflight entertainment
- Comfort pack including inflatable neck pillow, toothbrush and toothpaste, eye mask, socks and blanket
- Noise-cancelling headphones
To build up your Qantas Points balance, read our guide on how to earn more Qantas Points.
- New international travel rules: Quarantine, proof of vax, visas and more explained
- Qantas and Jetstar accelerate restart for flights to Singapore, Fiji and more
- Extended: Massive $99 Qantas Australia-wide sale, our hot picks
- $75 Virgin sale slashes prices on Queensland flights
- Points travel is back, how can you earn more points?
Image source: Jetstar