Qantas competition: Canberra flights for $99
Air travel is heating up with Rex Airlines' launch of Sydney to Canberra flights.
Rex is officially ending our national carrier's monopoly on the route.
Igniting fierce competition with Qantas, fares from Canberra to Sydney will start from $99 one way.
The new route takes off from 19 April.
"At a time when many small businesses and households are still struggling to make ends meet, our fares will make a world of difference to the community that routinely sees one-way fares close to $1,000 for this short sector," Rex deputy chairman John Sharp said.
With almost 1 million annual passengers making the journey pre-coronavirus there should be steady traffic for both Qantas and Rex.
These new Sydney to Canberra flights will go on sale later this week so check back soon.
Canberra Airport's CEO, Stephen Byron, said, "We are pleased to welcome Rex to Canberra, which is a positive sign they are making an investment in a growing and expanding region. This new Canberra–Sydney route will offer more choice for our travellers, stimulate jobs and grow the air travel market which is a win-win for us all."
When seats are available make sure you head on over to KAYAK so you don't miss out.
"We believe that on the Sydney–Canberra route alone Rex will be bringing annual savings of between $60 – $100 million to commuters when numbers return to pre-COVID levels, such is the level of fare gouging being practised," Sharp said.
How do these prices fare?
At $99 these fares are nearly 50% cheaper than the lowest prices Qantas has on this route at $193.
That's great value for frequent flyers and the change in the market should see Qantas drop its prices a fair bit.
We don't know how long these cheap tickets will last as they're not part of a specific promotion – so get in quick.
What do I need to know before I book?
- Flexibility: Great. Due to the ongoing pandemic, Rex is offering a COVID Refund Guarantee. This offers customers a full refund if their plans are impacted by COVID-19. This guarantee also includes any travel restrictions and border closures.
- Airline: Great. Rex Airlines is one of Australia's full-service carriers. Enjoy 23kg of checked baggage, a light meal and 7kg of carry-on included in your airfares.
- Frequent flyer points: Great. Join the Rex Business Flyer program and earn 2 flights for every 18 you take. A 2-year membership is only $99. One membership covers all business staff so there's no need for individual memberships.
- Travel time: Great. No need to worry about connections with this one.
- Weather: March through May with a host of festivals, the Botticelli and Van Gogh exhibition and autumnal colours all around is the best time to visit Canberra.