Qantas’ bonus status credits offers: what you need to know
Jump to the next status tier with double status credits promotions from Qantas.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Unlike frequent flyer points, you can collect Status Credits to ascend the Qantas membership tiers (Silver, Gold, Platinum and Platinum One) and take advantage of exclusive perks. The benefits vary between the tiers, but you can usually expect more competitive points earn rates, travel benefits (such as preferred seating, priority upgrades, priority boarding and check-in as well as waived booking fees) and access to Qantas Club lounges.
Qantas often runs several bonus status credits promotions each year. The most common promotions offer double status credits, where every eligible flight booked during the promotional period earns twice as many status credits it usually would. There are no set dates when you can expect these status credit promotions, although recent promotions were launched in February 2019, as well as February, August and October in 2018. Occasionally, Qantas also runs targeted status credit promotions for select frequent flyer members.
To be eligible for bonus status credit promotions, you’ll have to do the following:
- Register on the relevant promotion page. Each passenger on the booking will need to do this.
- Once you’re registered, you can make unlimited bookings for eligible flights to earn double status credits.
- You’ll need to include your Qantas number on your booking to receive the status credits, which will come six weeks after completion of travel (so keep this in mind if your membership anniversary is approaching).
To keep track of future double status credit offers, sign up to the Points Finder newsletter or follow us on Facebook.
What’s the catch?
Before booking your flight, check the terms and conditions of the promotion. You’ll usually see the following conditions:
- Must fly on Qantas-operated flights. Bonus status credit promotions generally only apply to Qantas-operated flights, and not to Qantas-ticketed flights on Jetstar or partner airlines.
- Flight vouchers are valid in certain conditions. Generally speaking, flight vouchers bought and redeemed for flights during the promotional period should earn bonus status credits. Read the terms and conditions or call Qantas directly to find out if your proposed voucher travel will qualify.
- Not valid with other bonus offers. Qantas will not usually allow flyers to stack multiple bonus status credits promotions.
- Must book through the Qantas website. Keep in mind that third-party online booking sites might not qualify for the promotion, so be safe and read the terms and conditions. You’ll usually have to book through the Qantas website or call centre directly, or use a travel agent.
- Might not count towards other status challenges. Recently, Qantas has stated that status credits earned through these promotions don’t count towards Loyalty Bonus, Platinum Bonus Reward, Platinum One Bonus Reward and Status Accelerator or Challenge requirements.
- Keep track of your status renewal date. Status credits will make it to your account a number of weeks after your travel is completed. For the recent October promotion, this period is six weeks, so keep this in mind if you’re frantically travelling to retain or attain a new status tier. Check your Qantas Frequent Flyer account to find out when your status renewal date is.
How many status credits could I earn?
This will depend on your route, fare and class. Generally, the higher the class and the longer the route, the more status credits you can earn. Flexible full price fares will often also earn more status credits than discounted fares.
For example, here are the status credits earned for flying Sydney to Perth:
Here are the status credits earned for flying from Sydney to London:
|Discount Premium Economy||140|
|Flexible Premium Economy||165|
How do I maximise the status credits I earn from this promotion?
In frequent flyer circles, good value flight routes to maximise status credits are known as "status runs". These can look nonsensical to the regular traveller but are calculated to offer maximum status credits for every dollar spent.
A popular example is the Noumea status run in business class. This takes advantage of somewhat competitive business class prices and better status credit earn rates. An example of the route could be something like: Sydney > Adelaide > Melbourne > Brisbane > Noumea and back again. This would earn 410 status credits during a bonus promotion.
Other examples include flying from Sydney to Denpasar return or Jetstar Max Bundles on domestic travel.
To find out about current status runs, check out the Australian Frequent Flyer forums.
THE POINTS FINDER TAKE
Qantas’ double status credit promotions usually run twice per year, although 2018 saw three (February, August and October) and 2019 saw just one (February). These promotions are a good way to earn extra status credits to get you to your next status tier, so it may be worth booking your upcoming Qantas trips during this period to maximise your chances of keeping or jumping status tiers.
- Virgin Australia’s sale is flying you across the country from $69
- 7 things I learned from having to cancel my domestic trip | A couple of travel makers
- UPDATED: What to know about the Tasmanian border reopening
- What Virgin’s CEO switch means for the future
- Which airline stocks are beating the rest in 2020?
More guides on Finder
Earn double Velocity Points on Virgin Australia flights
Book flights through to August 2021 and earn 10 Velocity Points per $1 spent.
Finder Awards 2020 Best Frequent Flyer Credit Card
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Frequent Flyer Credit Card.
Why Qantas Classic Flight Rewards are worth more than ever right now
You can easily get $45+ in value for every 1,000 Qantas Points. Here's how.
Qantas Points: Best Father’s Day gift deals to earn points
Bonus points offers on fashion, books and tech – we've got the full list.
Qantas Store Winter Warmers bonus points offers, ranked
Earn up to 8 Qantas Points per $1 spent.
The 5 most important changes to Qantas Frequent Flyer explained
Extra Status Credits! More reward flights! More Points Planes! Here's what it all means.
Investing in the era of COVID-19
Finder speaks with investment experts from around the world about what investing looks like in a post-COVID-19 world.
Qantas and Afterpay: Everything you need to know
You can earn frequent flyer points with the popular buy now pay later service – here's how.
Fall back in love with Australia from $109 with this Qantas sale
EXPIRED: Book your next escape to Hamilton Island, Gold Coast or even Ballina Byron.
All the current bonus frequent flyer and reward points offers October 2020
Bonus points for gift cards, shopping, insurance and more.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert