Enjoy a 0% p.a. balance transfer offer, $0 annual fee and Qantas Points with the Qantas American Express Discovery Card.
The Qantas American Express Discovery Card gives you a wide range of rewards and savings, offering Qantas Points on every dollar spent on eligible purchases and $0 annual fee for the life of the card.
If you want to consolidate existing credit card debt, you can also take advantage of 0% p.a. on balance transfers for 12 months when you apply online and are approved. A one-off 1% balance transfer fee applies for this offer.
|Product Name||Qantas American Express Discovery Card|
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Balance transfer rate (p.a.)||0% p.a. for 12 months with 1% balance transfer fee|
|Balance Transfer Revert Rate|
The interest rate after the balance transfer ends.
|Purchase Rate (20.74% p.a.)|
|Balance Transfer Limit||70% of available credit limit|
|Maximum Balance Transfer Amount||$10,000|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.74% p.a.|
|Annual fee||$0 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Card Type||American Express|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Credit Rating Requirement||Good|
|Annual fee||$0 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2.5% or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||No|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Number of Additional Cardholders||4|
- $0 annual fee ever which is a rarity for a prestigious card plus, equal points for spending
- This card comes with a promotional balance transfer rate of 0% p.a. for 12 months (a one-off 1% balance transfer fee applies).
- Your points will be transferred straight into your Qantas Frequent Flyer account.
- 24/7 assistance covers fraud, replacement cards and theft. AMEX purchase protection covers you for the stolen, broken or defective items within 90 days of purchase.
- Must have a good credit rating without defaults
- Income before tax must be $35,000 p.a. or over.
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Rewards Points per $ (VISA/MC) Cap||N/A|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||1|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX) Cap||Uncapped|
Qantas American Express Discovery Card review
This card is suited to Qantas Frequent Flyer members who want to earn points on eligible purchases while saving on regular credit card rates and fees. This card offers 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on card purchases and an additional 1 point per $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services in Australia. Plus, it's currently one of the only Qantas Frequent Flyer credit cards in the market with $0 annual fee for life.
In addition to these features, the Qantas American Express Discovery Card offers refund and purchase insurances and allows you to request up to 4 supplementary cards with $0 annual fee. New cardholders can also save money on existing card debt with a promotional balance transfer rate of 0% p.a. for 12 months.
Benefits of the Qantas American Express Discovery Card
- $0 annual fee. This credit card charges no annual fee for the life of the card, which is rare for a Qantas Frequent Flyer credit card. You can also request up to 4 supplementary cards with $0 annual fee.
- Balance transfer offer. You can use the card to pay off existing card debt with a low introductory balance transfer rate of 0% p.a. for 12 months. The maximum amount that you can balance transfer is $10,000 or 70% of your approved credit limit, whichever is less. Keep in mind there is a one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% of the total balance transferred to the card.
- Earn Qantas Points as you spend. This card offers 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on everyday purchases. You can also earn an additional 1 Qantas Point per $1 when you spend on selected Qantas products and services in Australia and 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 when you spend on government bodies. Not many cards offer reward points on government transactions, so this card could come in handy if you plan to pay your ATO bills with plastic come tax time.
- No points cap. The Qantas Points you earn are uncapped and will be credited to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account every month. You can redeem your Qantas Points for both travel and everyday rewards – browse the Qantas Frequent Flyer website to discover where your points can take you. Note that you must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem points. A joining fee may apply.
- Contactless and mobile payments. The Qantas American Express Discovery Card allows you to make "tap and go" payments at the checkout and is compatible with mobile payment apps including Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Android Pay.
- Complimentary purchase insurances. This card offers purchase protection insurance to cover the cost of repairing or replacing eligible items if they are accidentally broken or stolen within 90 days of purchase. It also offers refund protection insurance to cover the cost if you're refused a refund on an unused eligible item within 90 days of purchase.
Features of the Qantas American Express Discovery Card
- Interest rate. This card has a standard variable interest rate of 20.74% p.a.
- Balance transfer revert rate. If you take advantage of the balance transfer offer, any debt remaining at the end of the introductory period will be charged interest at the standard variable rate of 20.74% p.a.
- Interest-free days. This card offers up to 44 days interest-free on purchases if you pay your balance in full by the due date on each statement.
- Currency conversion rate. A 3% fee applies for transactions made in a foreign currency overseas or online.
- Global card support. Qantas American Express Discovery Card members enjoy global card support services 24/7 and emergency card replacement services that can help you get a card replaced in as little as 48 hours.
- Fraud protection. The card comes with an online fraud protection guarantee. This means you won't be held responsible for any unauthorised charges online as long as you notify AMEX immediately upon discovery of the fraudulent transactions.
How to apply for the Qantas American Express Discovery Card
You can apply for the Qantas American Express Discovery Card online in around 10 minutes. Before you get started, make sure you meet the eligibility criteria and have all the required information on hand.
Eligibility criteria checklist
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply for this card.
- Residential status. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or hold a current Business Long Stay Visa (subclass 457).
- Minimum income. Your pre-tax or gross income must be at least $35,000.
- Credit history. You must have no history of bad debt or payment default to receive approval.
Required documents and personal information
- Personal information. This includes your full name, residential address, email address and driver's licence number.
- Employment information. This includes your position, salary and your employer's name and contact details. You may also be required to provide several recent payslips.
- Financial information. This includes any assets you have, such as shares, investments or savings. It also includes any existing debts from cards or loans, and ongoing financial commitments such as bills, rent or household expenses.
The Qantas American Express Discovery card offers features and rewards for both frequent flyers and savvy spenders, and also has a $0 annual fee. As this isn't the only frequent flyer credit card on the market, make sure you compare a range of options before applying.Back to top