Market Stall Insurance

Don’t let an accident leave you millions of dollars out of pocket. Compare public liability insurance cover for market stalls.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Running a market stall brings a lot of hidden responsibility along with it. Whether you’re selling hot chocolate, hats or hand cream, the fact remains that accidents happen, and you could be held liable. While some markets offer public liability for an additional cost, the excess (the amount you pay out of pocket if you need to claim) can be huge — often more than $5,000. You can usually get a much better deal if you look for it on your own.

Market stall insurance comparison

To give you a rough idea of how much insurance costs, we've gathered some sample quotes below. Your quotes will be based on your own business needs.

QBE logo


Relyon insurance logo


AIG logo


Cost per month


Public Liability



Get Quote
Get Quote
Get Quote

Market stall insurance at a glance

public liability insurance

Public liability insurance

  • Required

This covers your stall for things like someone getting injured at your stall and third-party property damage e.g. your gazebo knocking down the neighbouring stall.

theft insurance

Portable stock cover

  • Recommended

If you have a market stall, portable stock (or contents) insurance will cover your items or food when they are being transported to the market.

What could go wrong at a market stall?

Let's say that you leave a piece of art in the main walkway for a moment and someone trips over it and breaks their ankle. You could be held responsible for the incident due to negligence, and have to pay for their medical costs, and/or the cost of replacing their income while they are unable to work. It may seem unfair, but you still have the responsibility to deal with the consequences if something goes wrong. Most festivals and events won't even allow you to register without first obtaining public liability insurance for your market stall.

What's next

Get quotes online | Speak to a broker

Do I need insurance for my stall?

Market stalls insurance

Regardless of whether you’re running a regular stall at your local market or travelling to several markets across the region to build a bigger customer base, you’ll still be exposing yourself to a wide range of potential risks.

Markets can be busy, unpredictable and hazardous places, and unexpected accidents can happen at any time. If something goes wrong and a claim is made against you, the financial consequences of paying any compensation or damages could be substantial. This is why it’s essential to make sure you have the right market stall insurance cover in place before you open for business.

What types of risks to I need to account for with a market stall?

Below are some of the key risks you could face. Insurance may be able to help with some of them, but the more precautions you take the less you have to worry! Here are some tips:

If you're selling products at a market

  • Licences and permits – Like any business that sells goods to Australian consumers, it's important that you get the correct form of licence or permit to run your stall. These help protect you and the investments you've made.
  • Ensuring product safety – Whether there's an allergy issue with your newest batch of cupcakes, or safety concerns over your collection of children's toys, it's important that you respond to concerns quickly. You should provide clear instructions for use and include warnings against possible misuse or allergy concerns. It's also necessary for you to be aware of and meet industry and mandatory standards.
  • Obstructing a footpath – You might need to obtain a footpath usage or obstruction permit from your local council. This permit is designed to protect public safety, so it's essential you have one in case someone gets hurt or injured.
  • Missing or stolen products – Markets are busy places, and transporting your goods introduces another element of risk. That's why it's worth considering portable stock cover, which covers your items of food when they are in transport to the market.

If you're serving food at a market stall

  • Temporary food stall licence – Before setting up your stall, make sure you have a temporary food stall licence. It's important you get one, especially if you sell potentially hazardous food like meat or dairy, or you risk being shut down.
  • Food poisoning/allergies – The food you sell at a market must comply with the Australian Food Standards Code. From rules on cleanliness to labelling, the code makes sure that the food you supply is safe and suitable for consumption. Yet, no matter how much you label your food, accidents can happen, especially at a market, so make sure you get professional indemnity insurance (more on that below).

Getting the right insurance in place can help you manage these risks. In fact, many market organisers require you to get insurance for your stall. It's likely you'll need both public liability and product liability insurance. Market stall insurance is a great way to ensure that your stall is covered properly with both.

Although many market organisers offer insurance as part of the registration fee, you should look into what's covered; it is often very basic and fails to adequately cover you should something go wrong.

What types of insurance do market stalls need?

There are two main types of insurance that market stall operators should consider buying to mitigate their risk:

Most market organisers make it a mandatory requirement for all stall owners to have public liability insurance in place before they'll even be allowed to set up a stall.

What's covered?

This type of insurance helps cover legal and compensation costs when you're found legally liable for personal injury or property damage suffered by someone related to your stall or its operation. Typical limits on policies include $5 million, $10 million, or $20 million, and includes cover for incidents and events you may not even consider like sickness or disease, false arrest and even assault and battery.

Many insurance providers will also offer both public liability and product liability cover under the umbrella of one policy.

This type of cover is also usually a mandatory requirement at many markets.

What's covered?

Under Australian consumer law, retailers and distributors of products have a duty of care to their customers. For example, if you sell a product that has been poorly designed, has various defects or improperly labelled, it could cause harm to one of your customers, which product liability can financially cover. If you’re selling physical, manufactured products you can’t vouch for 100%, you should strongly consider this kind of protection. Product liability insurance is particularly important for any market stall owner who manufactures and sells food or drink products because, under Australian Consumer Law, people who suffer loss or damage due to safety defects in goods they buy are entitled to seek compensation.

Most business insurance providers won’t cover theft or damage of your stock while it's actually at your market stall.

What's covered?

If you regularly operate a market stall it’s still a good idea to consider portable stock cover, which covers stock while in storage and while in transit to and from the market.

Available as part of a business insurance policy, portable stock insurance provides cover for fire, theft and a range of other risks. It’s also possible to cover the loss, theft or damage of business money to provide added peace of mind.

Back to top

How much does market traders public liability insurance cost?

When shopping around for public liability insurance, it pays to compare multiple quotes. However, keep in mind that there are a number of factors that can influence how much your insurance will cost. These include:

  • The size of your stall/business
  • What products you sell
  • Where and when you operate your stall
  • Your business turnover
  • How much coverage you take out.

If you regularly run stalls in high-risk locations, you can obviously expect to pay more for cover. In order to work out exactly how much cover your business needs, you'll need to take the time to consider the risks you face on a regular basis and what the consequences would be if those risks were to become reality.

What are some public liability exclusions facing market traders?

Just like with any other type of insurance policy, a number of exclusions apply to public liability cover. These may differ from one insurance provider to the next, but cover will generally not be provided for:

  • Fines and penalties that are punitive or exemplary
  • Any loss, damage or liability resulting from acts of war, terrorism, rebellion, revolution or insurrection
  • Anything to do with radioactive contamination or nuclear material
  • Any liability you assume under a contract that would otherwise not have applied
  • Situations where you have waived your rights to recourse without the underwriter’s prior consent
  • Liability related to the possession or use of a motor vehicle or trailer
  • Liability relating to the use of aircraft or watercraft
  • Liability for damage to property you own or are leasing
  • Any deliberate acts of disregard by you or your employees
  • Liability for injury to any of your contracted employees
  • Where your policy includes products liability, your insurer may refuse to pay any claims relating to the sale of things like toys, electronics, medicine or beauty products.

Commonly asked questions about market traders insurance

Public liability cover is something you must consider if you run a market stall. Compare a range of policies, seek multiple quotes and obtain expert advice to ensure you end up with the right public liability policy for your needs.

Back to top

Prefer to speak to someone? Fill out the form below for a callback

Receive a Quote for Business Insurance

If you are ready to speak with a consultant about different business insurance options available, simply enter your details in the form. Keep reading if you want to learn more about the different types of cover available.
FBI Lender Logos

Picture: Unsplash

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

6 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    AllisonJune 6, 2018

    Hi. I want to sell some products I have made and purchased at a local country market. Can you help me decipher this insurance info?

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniJune 7, 2018Staff

      Hi Allison,

      Thank you for getting in touch with finder.

      Many market organisers require you to insure your stall in case things go wrong. You may need both public and product liability insurance to make sure you’re covered. You might also consider professional indemnity insurance.

      – Product liability insurance covers you for any damage or injury caused by a product you sold.
      – Public liability insurance protects you against claims for property damage and bodily injury such as a product you’ve sold negligently causing a fire.
      – Professional indemnity insurance protects you if your client suffers a loss as a direct result of advice you gave.

      Some insurance providers will sell insurance packages specifically for market stall holders (sometimes called ‘Market Trading Insurance’).

      If the market you’re intending to sell your goods at offers insurance as a part of the registration fee, make sure you understand exactly what you’re covered for. You may feel more comfortable obtaining your own insurance in addition to the insurance on offer from the market. You should also make sure that your set up and pack down time is included as a part of your insurance package.

      I hope this helps.

      Have a great day!


    Default Gravatar
    SusanJuly 29, 2015

    Hi We are planning a market and are having trouble with people regarding insurance, do people who run charity stalls need insurance? or people who only make a small profit eg. senior person selling knitted items? This is turning people off participating.



      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardJuly 29, 2015Staff

      Hi Susan,

      Thanks for your question.

      Yes, if you’re running a market you will generally need to have stall insurance. If you would like to speak with a broker about the best options for you, please enter your details into the contact form for a market stall insurance.

      Please make sure to read the eligibility criteria, features, and details of the policy, as well as the relevant Product Disclosure Statement of the policy before making a decision and consider whether the product is right for you. If necessary, speak to the insurance brand to verify any details.

      I hope this was helpful,

    Default Gravatar
    johnNovember 26, 2014

    Hi can you tell me who is liable if i trip over some market stall framework, the organiser or the owners of the stalls?
    The trader had packed up and gone, It was dark and i didn’t see the metal frame work bars although the canopy was still on the roof and back (no sides)
    I tripped over and damaged my clothing. No harm to myself thankfully.


      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardNovember 28, 2014Staff

      Hi John,

      Thanks for your question. is an Australian website so the laws and relations may be different here than that in the UK. You would need to contact the event manager to find out who would be liable.


Go to site