How to redeem your PS5 Apple TV+ 6-month free trial in Australia
Sony PlayStation and Apple have a great deal for gamers; a six-month free trial of the Apple TV+ streaming app. Here's how to get it.
If you own Sony's next generation PlayStation 5 console, or if you're planning to get one before 22 July 2022, then today is a good day. Out of the blue, Sony and Apple have teamed up to give gamers an extraordinary offer: 6 months of free access to the Apple TV+ streaming app service. Boo-yah!
On this page, we'll not only explain why that's a great win for gamers, we'll show you exactly how to go about redeeming your PS5 Apple TV+ 6-month free access. Let's start with the step-by-step guide.
How to redeem your free Apple TV+ 6-month trial on PlayStation
- Own a PlayStation 5 or PlayStation 5 Digital Edition console. That's not as easy as it sounds given the COVID-related stock shortages. If you're still in the market, keep an eye on our how to buy a PS5 page for updates on stock availability.
- Make sure you have an Apple account and that you have some payment method – like a credit card – linked to that account. If you do not already have an account, you can set one up in step 4.
- Turn on your PS5, head to All Apps in the media home bar and find the Apple TV app. You can also just search for "Apple TV". Download the app.
- Sign in to the Apple TV+ app using your Apple ID. If you don't have one, you can create one from within the app.
- Your 6 months of free Apple TV+ access will be activated automatically.
- Set a date in your calendar for 6 months into the future with a reminder to decide on if you want to keep the service or not. It'll be free to cancel before the end of the 6 months, otherwise you will be charged AU$7.99/month ongoing.
Understanding the fine print
Often when we get a deal that seems too good to be true, there's a big fat asterisk and a whole lot of fine print that proves our fears correct. That is not the case here. Indeed, there's very little limitation to who can access this offer. Here's what you need to know:
- You must own a PS5 console. Owning a PS4 does not count.
- It doesn't matter if you already have an Apple TV+ subscription – the 6 free months will just be added on. Unless…
- You access Apple TV+ via the Apple One. In this instance, it will not work and will not add to your existing subscription. Perhaps keep it up your sleeve for now and if you downgrade from Apple One prior to the expiry date, you can then redeem.
- Redemption must occur through the PS5, not on your Apple device or PC.
- You must redeem before 22 July 2022.
- Once activated, you can watch Apple TV+ on any device that has the app. This includes other consoles, Apple devices, smart TVs and more.
- Yes, the PS5 Apple TV+ 6-month free trial offer is available in Australia.
Is Apple TV+ any good?
There isn't a major streaming TV service that we at Finder haven't used and compared. The vast majority come at you with a massive library of content – plenty of it is old stuff you've seen before, and new content is hit and miss in quality. This is not the approach Apple TV+ takes.
Instead, Apple TV+ launched with barely a dozen shows. Their focus was not on quantity, but quality. And while that library has expanded appreciably in the almost 2 years since launch, the media giant has retained that strategy. Apple TV+ is not a service bloated with legacy content and dud watches; everything is new in 4K and with Dolby Atmos.
And the quality of those shows is, on average, much higher than rival services. They also include some seriously top talent in front and behind the screen.
You can dive deeper into our thoughts in our Apple TV+ review, or you can peruse the list of Apple TV+ content, for more insight. Needless to say, it's definitely worth jumping on this deal if you have the means and making the most of it.