Property Tax Specialists

Rates and Fees verified correct on March 30th, 2017

Property Tax Specialists can help those who’ve invested in property to maximise returns by minimising tax.

Property Tax Specialists Logo

People who invest in property and want to make the most of their investments often have questions that go unanswered. These questions can surround aspects such as tax structures, capital gains tax, deciding between holding and selling, renting, cash flow, renovations, transferring property, going overseas and not to forget, minimising taxes. Property Tax Specialists specialises in answering questions in this realm and offers services to anyone seeking taxation advice, property investments or asset protection.

Who are the Property Tax Specialists?

Shukri Barbara, a certified public accountant with 30 years of relevant experience and qualifications, helms Property Tax Specialists along with a team of reliable associates. The core expertise of this business lies in advising investors about asset protection while also minimising their tax liabilities.

Shukri has a personal interest in property investment and development, so he focuses on helping clients maximise their opportunities. He puts his background in accounting and marketing to use when studying business and investment opportunities and his insights help his clients, as well as his own business. Shukri is an expert in his field and has appeared on Sky News a number of times as a guest of independent property expert Chris Gray.

All the taxation strategies that Property Tax Specialists suggest are perfectly legal and they’re centrally located in Chatswood, NSW, although you can contact them and use their services from anywhere in Australia.

  • Your Investment Property Magazine’s Readers Choice Awards. In 2011 and 2012 Shukri Barbara, the owner of this business, won the ‘Tax Advisor of the Year’ award.

Speak to the Property Tax Specialists

By submitting this form, you agree to privacy policy
Property Tax Specialists Logo

The Property Tax Specialists are an award-winning leader in the Australian taxation field, with strengths in accounting, marketing and business. They can help with matters of asset protection, property investing, accounting and taxation, including capital gains tax enquiries. Fill out this form with your query to get into contact with an expert from Property Tax Specialists today.

What services do Property Tax Specialists offer?

While you can use their services if you’re a property investor, they also offer services to homeowners, business owners, property developers, real estate agents, professionals and high net worth individuals.

  • Capital gains tax is a complex tax which confuses many who own investment properties. Intricate taxation knowledge enables Property Tax Specialists to turn to strategies that give you access to perfectly legitimate capital gains tax savings. They can also help you maximise rental property deductions.
  • As part of its asset management service it structures your financial affairs to keep you protected from any frivolous claims down the road. This ensures that you keep your family’s future secure.
  • Access to the right tools enables this business to analyse aspects like cash flow and return-on-investment, allowing them to guide you to make the most out of your investments.

When you work with Property Tax Specialists, they ensure that all your documentation, as required by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), is in order. In the event of an ATO query, they’ll provide suitable support. If and when required, they’ll also coordinate with other qualified professionals.

Benefits of using a tax specialist

Given that taxation is a vital part of owning property, knowing just what the process entails is important. If you don’t have the required knowledge, as is often the case, turning to a professional is your next best bet. A business like Property Tax Specialists only makes recommendations after understanding your individual situation, your goals and your risk profile. You can expect a tax specialist from Property Tax Specialists to explain the overall tax environment as well as specifics relating to your case.

As mentioned above, capital gains tax is a matter which can limit the profits you make from a property, so it’s wise to seek the services of an expert in the field to help minimise the amount of profit you lose through tax. Property Tax Specialists can help you navigate through this complicated area as well as help you with any other questions you might have relating to the disposal or treatment of a property.

Property Tax Specialists can assist you with matters of compliance, like preparing tax returns. They also provide periodical reviews and updates. Protecting your assets and planning towards minimum tax, as required by the law, remains their primary aim. All in all, if you own property, turning to a tax specialist like Property Tax Specialists can save you time as well as money.

How to organise a consultation with the Property Tax Specialists

You can benefit by using the services of this business irrespective of where in Australia you live. You can consult with a specialist in person, over the phone, or via video call. All you need to do in order to get in touch with a property tax specialist is fill out the form above. Fill out the basic contact details including your name, your phone number and your email address and then wait for an expert from Property Tax Specialists to get in touch with you.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

HSBC Home Value Loan - Resident Owner Occupier only

Enjoy the low variable rate with $0 ongoing fee and borrow up to 90% LVR. Essentials - Variable (Owner Occupier, P&I)

A competitive interest rate home loan with interest only options. Interest rate 3.59%p.a.
comp rate of 3.61%p.a.

Greater Bank Ultimate Home Loan - Discounted 1 Year Fixed LVR ≤85% ($150K+ Owner Occupier)

Discount off an already competitive interest rate for loans over $150k. NSW, QLD and ACT residents only.

Newcastle Permanent Building Society Premium Plus Package Home Loan - New Customer Offer ($150,000+ Owner Occupier)

Apply for a new owner occupier loan or refinance from another lender and receive this discounted rate.

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

44 Responses to Property Tax Specialists

  1. Default Gravatar
    Diane | October 1, 2015

    My house is paid for. I put my son and daughters name on it. In my will I want to remove my sons name. How can I do that?

    • Staff
      Marc | October 6, 2015

      Hi Diane,
      thanks for the question.

      You might want to consult a legal representative about making this change to your will and any potential consequences it may have that you should consider.


  2. Default Gravatar
    JustAsking | July 13, 2015

    If I knock down my house that I have lived in for 10 years and build a duplex, then how is capital gains tax calculated when selling 1 duplex that is NOT my primary place of residence? please note if the original purchase price from 10 years ago is used as the cost base or is it the current home value (more than doubled) or if another method is used. I need to know so I can decide if it is worth building. Thanks

    • Staff
      Jodie | July 14, 2015


      Thank you for your comment on, a financial comparison website.

      As we are a financial comparison website and not qualified financial advisors we are not able to offer specific financial advice however you can read through our page specific to capital gains tax or you can fill out the form above and a representative from Property Tax Specialists will be in touch with you shortly.


  3. Default Gravatar
    Betty | May 7, 2015

    Hi There,

    I have an investment property which is rented out and has been since I brought it and I want to know how much capital gains tax I will have to pay on it when I sell it and how I can avoid this?



  4. Default Gravatar
    | April 7, 2015

    I had to move away for business reasons so I had to rent my principal residence and only residence for 7 years In that time I was renting a home interstate for around the same rent I was receiving from my tenant, I am now back in my own property for 12 months, would I have to pay CGT on it If I sold it?

    • Staff
      Shirley | April 7, 2015

      Hi Steve,

      Thanks for your question.

      If upon purchasing your property you moved in as soon as practicable, then you can nominate the dwelling as your main residence when acquired (this includes overseas property) – the condition is that no other property is nominated as your MR. This generally means it will be exempt from CGT.

      You can use your main residence to generate income for a period of up to six years before it becomes liable for CGT.

      For a more detailed discussion of your circumstances, please contact The Property Tax Specialists today.


      Readers should not act on the information above without obtaining professional advice relevant to their circumstances. It is intended as information only.

    • Default Gravatar
      Jennifer | April 8, 2015

      Hi Shirley, just saw your answer for Steve’s question. this is probably relate to me as well. I purchase a house on the 28th May 2013 and declared it as my main residence. and i rented out on the 5th Sep 2014 and it is still rented. i want to sell it in Oct this year. will it be treated as investment property and be charged for CGT? Thanks

    • Staff
      Marc | April 9, 2015

      Hi Jennifer,
      thanks for the question.

      For more information than Shirley’s reply to Steve, we recommend contacting the ATO or a qualified tax specialist. To speak to a qualified tax specialist, you can fill out the form on this page.


  5. Default Gravatar
    Laurie | March 30, 2015

    We have owned an investment property for 16 years. If we sold Our own home and moved into the investment property, how long would we have to live there to negate CGT?

    • Staff
      Shirley | March 31, 2015

      Hi Laurie,

      Thanks for your question.

      Unfortunately you won’t be able to negate CGT, CGT will be payable upon the period that it wasn’t nominated as your main residence.

      For a more detailed discussion of your circumstances, please contact The Property Tax Specialists today.


      Readers should not act on the information above without obtaining professional advice relevant to their circumstances. It is intended as information only.

  6. Default Gravatar
    Marko | March 23, 2015

    I bought a property 20 years ago,and this year I demolished my old home which was my MR in order to build 3 dwelling units.
    One of them will be my MR and other two I have intention to sell.
    One of unit I would rent for 12 months and more and third one I would like to sell before ( after 6 months?) to decrease bank loan.
    What I have to do to get 50% discount on CGT.
    Thanks in advance!

    • Staff
      Shirley | March 24, 2015

      Hi Marko,

      Thanks for your question.

      You need to have owned the asset for a period of at least 12 months to be eligible for the 50% discount on CGT.


  7. Default Gravatar
    Dave | March 17, 2015

    Hi Shukri,

    We own a property overseas and had lived in it for the past 18years. We rented out since May 2009. We came to OZ on work visa 457 and bought a property in Melbourne and live since Oct 2009. For CGT purpose, do we have the option to choose which property is to be our Main residence? We intend to return back to our country once the contract ends.

    • Staff
      Shirley | March 18, 2015

      Hi Dave,

      Thanks for your question.

      Please note that is an online comparison and information service and does not represent the Property Tax Specialists.

      If you’d like to submit an enquiry directly to Shukri, please use this form.

      All the best,

  8. Staff
    Shirley | March 16, 2015

    Hi Scott,

    Thanks for your question.

    Please note that is an online comparison service and is not in a position to give personal or investment advice.

    For a more detailed discussion of your circumstances, please contact The Property Tax Specialists today.

  9. Default Gravatar
    appa | January 11, 2015

    Moved from New Zealand and lived in NSW. Later after few months moved to QLD due to work. While in QLD bought a land in NSW to build a house and move back to NSW. But again due to employment (which is the only source of income I have for day to day life) I end up in moving to NT instead NSW as planned. Since the rental cost is too high in NT now thinking of selling the land in NSW (bought more than 12 months back) to buy a house in NT. My question is do I have to pay capital gain tax (CGT) for selling my primary residence (in this case it is a land)?

    • Staff
      Shirley | March 30, 2015

      Hi Appa,

      Thanks for your question.

      Your main residence is required to be a dwelling, which in this case excludes land. It’s likely that you’re liable for CGT but with a 50% discount.

      For a more detailed discussion of your circumstances, please contact The Property Tax Specialists today.


      Readers should not act on the information above without obtaining professional advice relevant to their circumstances. It is intended as information only.

  10. Default Gravatar
    Sam | December 1, 2014

    i am 71 years old,my husband died in 2004,we had an investment property in both names 50% was my share,I now have the full title 100% owner on the property.we bought the property in 1986 for $800,000 I sold it last month for 2.5 M. please advice me about the capital gains.

    • Staff
      Shukri | March 19, 2015

      Hi Sam,

      Where a property is first established as a rental it will be liable to CGT when sold at a profit/gain.

      CG is calculated as the difference between the sale price and the cost base.

      For CGT purposes, the cost base will include the purchase price, stamp duty, legal fees on purchase and sale as well as agent commission on sale. Renovation costs will also add to the cost base.

      A concession is available where a property is held for longer than 12 months – 50% discount on capital gain – only 50% is assessable. This amount would be included on the income tax return for the financial year when the sale occurred.

      On passing of a joint owner of a rental property, all the cost base details are assumed to be acquired by the beneficiary.

      For a more detailed discussion of your circumstances, please contact The Property Tax Specialists today.


      Readers should not act on the information above without obtaining professional advice relevant to their circumstances. It is intended as information only.

Ask a question