Property maintenance services
Making sure your property is in tip-top shape saves you money in the long run.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Do you know that old saying, prevention is better than cure? In other words, it's preferable to stop something bad from happening than to deal with the fallout. While this often applies to health, there are several areas of your life that can benefit from embracing this mentality. Your home among them. That's where property management services come in.
What property maintenance services are available?
Wear and tear is inevitable with any property. However, contracting a company or handyman to make sure your home is safe guarantees that potential issues are fixed in a timely and budget-friendly manner.
Depending on your needs, you can rely on a company that provides property maintenance services - especially if you own multiple properties, are a landlord or own commercial buildings.
Alternatively, you can hire a handyman to come by every now and then to take a look at your home and determine if everything is running smoothly.
There are four main types of property maintenance services available:
- Regular – jobs that need to be done at regular intervals, whether daily, weekly, monthly, or as often as needed;
- Corrective – when something breaks or malfunctions, you need someone to come in and perform the repair;
- Cosmetic – these include touch-up to your property's appearance, like a new coat of paint or landscaping;
- Preventative – the type of jobs meant to uncover potential problems before they become dire, like checking the wiring or heating system.
What is included with a property maintenance service?
This depends on your needs and the type of property you manage. For individual homes, property maintenance services can include:
- Interior and exterior repairs
- Garden/lawn maintenance
- Plumbing, electrical, gas and heating services
- Pest control
- General cleaning
- Storm clean-up/snow removal
How much does property maintenance cost?
A general rule of thumb is that you should expect to spend between 1% and 4% of your home's value for maintenance each year. This may sound excessive, but it's better to spend a little now than to scramble for thousands of dollars for a major repair somewhere down the road.
While specialised companies can end up charging a lot, you can use websites like Airtasker or Oneflare to hire handymen willing to step in when needed. On Airtasker, the average cost of a property maintenance expert is $128 - $240. It varies based on the complexity of the tasks you need performed.
How do I compare property maintenance services?
When researching property maintenance experts in your area, keep these factors in mind:
- Expertise – you want someone who can get the job done efficiently so look up testimonials or reviews for the service/handyman you're considering;
- Cost – ideally, the quote they provide should be within your budget;
- Availability – emergencies happen, so you need someone to call when that's the case;
- Versatility – depending on your needs, you may need someone who can perform a variety of tasks like paint a wall, mow the lawn, pressure-wash your driveway and so on.
How should I prepare for a property maintenance service?
Prior to researching property maintenance services near you, sit down and make a list of everything you need done. You should have clear priorities ready for whomever you decide to employ.
Not sure where to start? Compile an annual home maintenance checklist and take it from there.
What to consider when booking a property maintenance service
Before hiring someone to help out with your property, answer the following questions:
- Do I need someone for a one-time task or to assist me on a part-time basis?
- How much money can I invest in property maintenance right now?
- If funds are low, are there any tasks I can defer to later?
- Which tasks can I perform myself and which do I need help with?
Do I need to be at home for a property maintenance service?
Ideally yes, especially if there are tasks you need performed in-house.
Once you establish a long-term relationship with the property maintenance expert and build trust, you can talk to them about whether they need you to be present on the property or not.
Pros and Cons of property maintenance services
- Save you time for yourself
- Maintain and even improve your home's value
- Minimise emergencies and avoid large repair bills in the future
- Can be expensive
Hiring someone with experience in property maintenance services will ensure that your home is in great shape regardless of season. This way, you know that your biggest financial investment is protected in the long run.
Property maintenance services FAQs
Why is property maintenance important?
It's better to perform regular maintenance instead of dealing with emergency repairs. Small repairs are inexpensive and less time-consuming. Plus, knowing that your home is well-maintained – both on the outside and the inside – will give you peace of mind.
What is maintenance in building?
Building maintenance is the process of ensuring that buildings operate at optimum efficiency. This can involve cleaning common areas, performing occasional repairs, removing trash and so on.
Is there anything a property maintenance service won't cover?
It depends on the person you end up hiring and what you agree on. However, property maintenance can cover everything from trash removal to cleaning. Make your requirements as clear as possible and you'll likely be able to work something out.
More guides on Finder
9 Great Property apps
We've picked our favourite property apps for buying, renting and sprucing up your living space.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Australia
Robinhood is set to go public as soon as June. Here's what you need to do to buy in from Australia.
8 Best Table Saws in Australia 2021
Whether you’re a hardened tradie, aspiring apprentice or DIY king, any woodwork project needs the best table saw in Australia.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Sydney property boom: Buy now before prices soar?
Sydney's property market is booming, with predictions that prices will increase 10% by the end of the year. Should you act now before prices surge out of your budget?
Best retro game consoles in Australia
Whether you’re looking back on the games of your youth or picking up retro game collecting as a hobby, here’s the best retro games consoles in Australia.
How to find safe, secure and affordable boat storage near you.
How to find the best car storage facility to keep your set of wheels safe and secure.
The 15 best movies on Disney Plus Star Australia
From timely to timeless, the new Disney+ channel has a movie for everyone.
Where to watch Property Brothers: Forever Home online in Australia
How do you make a house your own?
Ask an Expert