overseas tax payments-450

Professional indemnity insurance for tax and BAS agents

Compare professional indemnity cover for tax agents.

Professional indemnity insurance is designed to give professionals insurance coverage against legal claims and costs which may arise from their actions, breach of duty, errors and omissions while on duty.

Is professional indemnity insurance for tax agents compulsory?

According to the 2009 Tax Agent Services Act (TASA), registered tax, BAS and financial advisers need Professional Indemnity insurance failure to which they may be breaching the Code of Professional Conduct (Code). Tax agents that neglect to take out professional indemnity insurance risk having their license terminated.

Compare professional indemnity insurance for tax agents

Get quotes online Speak to a broker

Receive Professional Indemnity Insurance Quotes for Tax Agents

If you are ready to speak with a consultant about different business insurance options available, simply enter your details in the form. Keep reading if you want to learn more about the different types of cover available.
FBI Lender Logos

Why do Tax and BAS Agents need professional indemnity insurance?

In accordance with the Tax Agent Services Act - 2009, all tax and BAS agents in Australia are required to have at least minimal level Professional Indemnity insurance. The law requires these professionals to have professional indemnity and if a tax agent does not have this policy they are considered to be in breach of the Code of Professional Conduct.

What is the Code of Professional Conduct?

The Code of Professional Conduct otherwise known as Code outlines proper conduct for agents when handling clients and this includes having honest, integrity, confidentiality, independence and competence amongst others. A client could therefore claim that one or more of these core principles were not used leading to financial claims.

Where professional indemnity comes in

With Professional Indemnity Insurance, you don’t have to worry about the direct financial implications of such a claim since your insurance policy will cover the claim.

What does professional indemnity insurance cover?

Professional Indemnity cover ensures you are protected from legal costs which arise from seeking and undertaking legal defence, investigations and other costs that may be related to the Professional Indemnity claim. Most professional indemnity claims are filed against negligent behaviour or actions by the professional, misleading advice and deceptive advice and actions.

How can it cover tax and BAS agents?

Professional Indemnity insurance cover for tax and BAS agents or tax practitioners protects them from legal claims due to errors and omission, losses due to the practitioner’s actions or their financial advice and services.

How to choose professional indemnity insurance for Tax and BAS Agents

Be sure to ask the following questions:

  • How much cover do I need? In most cases, it’s the professional who identifies the cover appropriate for their work. You therefore need to have a realistic point of view on the potential legal costs and damages you may encounter.
  • How much will this cover cost me? Different insurance providers will have their different policies and these come with different rates. Find out what the costs are and compare them with what other providers are offering.
  • Does the policy cover all aspects of my profession? You need to safeguard your interests by ensuring that the policy covers most of the important risk factors if not all of them. Some policies will not cover certain duties undertaken by tax and BAS agents.
  • When is the policy effective? You want a policy that gives you immediate coverage.
  • What are the jurisdictional limits? You need a Professional Indemnity insurance policy that covers all areas you provide tax services.

Do Tax and BAS agents need public liability cover?

Public liability insurance ensures that you are protected against legal claims from third party offenses. If for example a client is injured while at your office or an employee revealed private data, the client involved has the right to sue you. Such a case would take a lot of time and money and this is where your public liability cover comes in. The insurance policy covers various circumstances and risks including damages and legal proceedings giving you peace of mind.

With public liability insurance, tax agents do not have to worry about the expenses that come with hiring legal defence or rulings that require damages to be paid. The insurance policy covers such occurrences. In other words, your finances and personal assets will be unaffected by the legal claim. You also get to preserve your reputation as a tax consultant. Sometimes, the inevitable happens as you carry out your normal duties and these could be in form of accidents and mishaps that lead to property damage or personal injuries. You can prepare for the unexpected by getting a public liability insurance cover for tax agents.

Can I get income protection for myself or for my employees?

Receive quotes for life insurance or income protection

Please enter your full name
Please enter a valid email address
It's important to give us a valid phone number
Date of Birth
This is your current income. Everyone‘s situation is different so you might also want to discuss with an insurance consultant. Calculator
Please enter your occupation
By submitting this form, you agree to the finder.com.au privacy policy
Get quotes

Get a quote directly from an insurer

Name Product Short Description Maximum Monthly Benefit Maximum % of Income Covered Maximum Benefit Period Waiting Period
Cover up to 85% of your Income (up to $10,000 per month) if you can’t work due to sickness or injury. Cover for 1,000 job types - full-time, part-time and self-employed.

5 years
14, 28, 60, or 90 days
Cover up to 75% of your monthly income if you can’t work due to illness or injury, up to a maximum of $10,000 a month.
5 years
30 or 90 days
Go into the draw to win (1 of 10) $1,000 eftpos gift cards when you get a quote for Medibank Income Protection. T’s and C’s apply.
5 years
30 or 90 days
Cover up to 75% (to a maximum of $30,000) of your monthly income with NobleOak Income Protection. Plus, pay no premium for 2 months with combined cover. T&C's apply.
2 years or to the age of 65
30 or 90 days
Receive up to 30% off in your premiums if you’re in good health and meet BMI qualification tests. T’s and C’s apply.
24 months
14 or 28 days
Cover up to 75% (to a maximum of $10,000) of your monthly income with Guardian Income Protection.
5 years
30 or 90 days
Receive up to 75% of your income (up to $10,000 per month) if you're unable to work due to serious illness or injury.
5 years
30 or 90 days
Cover up to 85% (to a maximum of $42,000) of your monthly income with Aspect Income Protection.
5 years
14, 30, 60 or 90 days
Join Qantas Income Protection and earn up to 150,000 Qantas points. T&CS apply including minimum premium and policy hold periods apply to earn points.
5 years
2, 4, 13 weeks or 2 years

Compare up to 4 providers

Frequently Asked Questions About Professional Indemnity Insurance

Q. What is the importance of a Professional Indemnity cover for tax agents?

  • A. Professional Indemnity covers help insure tax agents against legal claims alleging their negligence, errors and/or omission. Mistakes happen and when they do, the client may take legal action which could see you lose your good standing and your finances as well.

Q. Is it a must for tax agents to have Professional Indemnity covers?

  • A. Yes. Australian law requires that all practicing tax agents who are paid for the services they render have a Professional Indemnity cover. Not having a Professional Indemnity cover could see your registration terminated.

Q. How can I get a good rate on my Professional Indemnity cover?

  • A. One of the best ways to get good rates on your Professional Indemnity cover is to hire an insurance broker. Insurance brokers understand the market and they are in a better situation to negotiate a better deal on your behalf. They also remove the hassle that comes with getting different quotes when trying to get a better rate. However they are paid on commission.

Q. What is not covered by Professional Indemnity insurance?

  • A. Different insurance providers will have their different exclusions. Some of the things that are not covered in your policy include claims made after canceling your policy. Professional Indemnity insurance also does not cover fraudulent, dishonest and criminal acts which were intentionally engaged in by the policyholder.

Q. How much does Professional Indemnity insurance cost?

  • A. The cost of Professional Indemnity insurance covers for tax agents is mainly influenced by government legislation. Other factors are considered and these include the highest risk potential, policy limit, possible legal costs and much more.

Q. How can I compare different Professional Indemnity insurance providers?

  • A. When comparing Professional Indemnity insurance providers, some of the factors you need to look out for are limits on liability, policy exclusions, cover features, claim conditions stipulated by the insurance providers, the cooling off period and policy extensions. Its also worth reviewing reviews from recognised industry bodies and from previous customers that have undergone claims with the provider in the past.
Back to top

Apply for Professional Indemnity Insurance Cover Online

Professional Indemnity insurance for BAS and tax agents gives these professionals the much needed financial protection against financial loss and reputation damage due to alleged error or omission and professional neglect.

In Australia, tax professionals are required by law to have Professional Indemnity covers in accordance with the Tax Agent Services Act of 2009.

Receive a Quote for Professional Indemnity Insurance

William Eve

Will is a personal finance writer for finder.com.au specialising in content on insurance. While he cannot give personal advice to clients, Will enjoys explaining the intricacies of different types of protective cover to help individuals and businesses find affordable cover that won't leave them underinsured.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Privacy & Cookies Policy and Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site