property-value (1)

Professional indemnity insurance for property valuers

Why do property valuers need professional indemnity insurance cover?

Property valuers provide advice that directly affects the financial fortunes of their clients, so professional indemnity insurance is something they really can’t afford to be without.

If they provide a valuation that is wrong (due to negligence), their clients stand to lose substantial amounts of money and will be highly likely to sue the valuer to regain their losses.

Receive a Quote for Professional Indemnity Insurance

If you are ready to speak with a consultant about different business insurance options available, simply enter your details in the form. Keep reading if you want to learn more about the different types of cover available.
FBI Lender Logos

What claims can be made against property valuers?

A common claim brought against property valuers are for breach of contract, negligence and misleading and deceptive conduct under Section 42 of the Fair Trading Act or Section 52 of the Trade Practices Act.

Specific risks that can lead to claims

Property valuers provide valuations for a wide range of purposes. In doing so, they are exposed to a variety of risks including:

  • Unfavourable economic conditions
  • Unclear instructions or communications
  • Inadequate analysis of property
  • Inappropriate valuation methodology
  • Conflict of interest
  • Breach of contract
  • Inadequate assessment of comparable sales
  • Undertaking higher risk valuations.

tniy house banner

What does Professional Indemnity Insurance cover?

Professional indemnity insurance protects individuals and businesses who provide advice or services from alleged claims negligence or breach of duty. It provides cover for legal costs in defending such a claim and also any damages awarded to the claimant.

Common liabilities covered by professional indemnity insurance include:

  • Breach of duty. Including breaches of confidentiality, privacy and fiduciary duty.
  • Violation of statutory duty. Claims made for violations of consumer protection laws.
  • Contractual liability. Claims that a contractual agreement has been breached.
  • Breach of fair trading laws. Claims for breach of the Competition and Consumer Act and Fair Trading Act.
  • Infringement of intellectual property. Unintentional breaches of copyright, trademarks and patents.
  • Defamation, libel and slander. Unintentional publication of defamatory material.
  • Contractors or consultants. Liability resulting from services provided by contractors or consultants.
  • Loss of documents. Claims resulting from loss or damage of a client’s documents.
  • Misleading and deceptive conduct. Claims of misleading and deceptive conduct during the provision of a service.
  • Court appearance. Compensation equal to the insured’s daily salary, if required to appear in court.
  • Claims investigations costs. Compensation for costs associated with investigating claims.
  • Employee dishonesty. Claims arising from dishonest, fraudulent, criminal or malicious acts or omissions by employees.
  • Inquiry costs. Compensation for costs associated with inquiries into the insured’s liability.
  • Public relations expenses. This benefit provides cover for any adverse public relations expenses that arise during the insured period.

It should be noted that professional indemnity insurance does not usually cover liabilities that are recognised under criminal law.

Find out more about Professional Indemnity Insurance

How to compare cover for property valuers

There are many professional indemnity insurance policies and each of them is different, so when comparing policies, it is important to look carefully at what each one provides. Questions to ask yourself include:

  • Is the policy industry-specific (i.e. is it designed to cover the typical risks faced by property valuers)?
  • Does the insurer specialise in your industry? Do they understand the nuanced exposures property valuers face?
  • What are the exclusions in the policy? This is a particularly important section and should be read and understood thoroughly, as the exclusions describe what the policy will not cover and represent the main differences between policies.
  • How much is the excess? This is the amount you will have to pay upfront when making a claim.
  • What level of support does the insurer provide? When making a claim, will you receive professional advice and will your claim be managed by a dedicated claims team?
  • How far back does the cover extend? If this is your first professional indemnity insurance policy, does it cover work you have done previously?
  • How does the insurer handle multiple claims in a year? If you have more than one claim in a year, how many reinstatements of the insured amount are included in the cover?
  • Is the policy coverage worldwide? Or does it only apply in Australia?

If you are in any doubt about whether the policy you are considering provides adequate cover, you should seek professional advice before committing yourself in writing.

Does your property valuation business have a premise? Consider public liability

A property valuation firm is just like any other business, in that, because it interacts with the public, it needs public liability insurance. This covers liability for personal injury to third parties or damage to third party property.

Property valuers spend a good deal of their time away from the office, interacting with clients and visiting properties in the course of their work. If they were to damage a property whilst viewing it, or injure a third party through some action or inaction, they could be liable for a claim to be brought against them. Similarly, if clients visit them at their premises, they can be held accountable for any accident or injury that occurs on their premises.

What public liability covers

Public liability insurance covers your business, any subsidiary companies you own and your employees and is often taken out at the same time as professional indemnity insurance or included in a package by the insurer.

What isn't covered

The main exclusions found in public liability policies are the risks or ‘perils’ that would normally be covered by more specific insurances. Particularly hazardous activities and criminal actions by the insured are also not generally covered.

Is it compulsory?

Although not compulsory, public liability insurance is recommended for any business that interacts with the public, including property valuers, as accidents do happen and could be devastating for a business that doesn’t have cover.

Can I get income protection for myself or for my employees?

Get an income protection with an experienced adviser

Please enter your full name
Please enter a valid email address
It's important to give us a valid phone number
Date of Birth
This is your current income. Everyone‘s situation is different so you might also want to discuss with an insurance consultant. Calculator
Please enter your occupation
By submitting this form, you agree to the privacy policy
Get quotes

Get a quote directly from an insurer

Name Product Short Description Maximum Monthly Benefit Maximum % of Income Covered Maximum Benefit Period Waiting Period
Help protect your lifestyle with a new Virgin Income Protection policy. If eligible, you can earn 25,000 Velocity Points. Ends 02 September 2019. Min $80/month, min. 6 month policy to earn Points.

5 years
14, 28, 60, or 90 days
Join Qantas Income Protection and earn up to 100,000 Qantas points. T&CS apply including minimum premium and policy hold periods apply to earn points.
5 years
2, 4, 13 weeks or 2 years
Get cover up to 75% (to a maximum of $10,000) of your monthly income.
24 months
30 days
Get income protection cover (up to 75% of your income) without a medical test. Plus, Medibank health insurance members can save 10% off premiums.
5 years
30 or 90 days
Income protection is fully underwritten and benefit period can be tailored to suit your needs.
2 years
30 or 90 days
Receive one month's premiums free if you pay annually. T’s and C’s apply.

24 months
14 or 28 days

Compare up to 4 providers

Frequently asked questions about Professional Indemnity Insurance

Q. Who is a professional?

  • A. Any person who gives advice or provides a service in a professional capacity and in accordance with an established discipline.

Q. What does professional indemnity insurance protect me from?

  • A. Professional indemnity insurance protects your assets if a claim of negligence is brought against you.

Q. I am a competent valuer. Why do I need professional indemnity insurance?

  • A. Just in case. Even if you are not at fault your legal defence can be prohibitively expensive.

Q. How is a Professional Indemnity premium calculated?

  • A. Factors that influence the amount of your premium include the type of industry you are in, the services you provide, the amount of the Limit of Liability you opt for, your estimated annual gross income, your claims history and the amount of excess that applies to the policy.

Q. What is the Limit of Liability?

  • A. The Limit of Liability is the aggregate limit that applies to all claims made against you during the period of insurance and it will operate on either a costs-exclusive or costs-inclusive basis. Costs-exclusive is the preferred option for the insured, as it means legal defence costs are not included and thus do not reduce the limit.

Q. Apart from myself, who else is covered under a Professional Indemnity policy?

  • A. The principals, directors and partners in your business and also your employees.

Q. What is Civil Liability Indemnity?

  • A. Civil Liability Indemnity protects you from claims that arise from strict liability where there is no negligence involved.

Q. What is run-off cover?

  • A. It protects you from claims that are related to your business activities in a previous practice.

Q. What is the retroactive date?

  • A. The retroactive date is the date from which you are covered by your professional indemnity insurance policy.

Q. What is a known circumstance?

  • A. A circumstance where the insured was aware, or should have been aware, that an action or omission was likely to result in a claim, before that claim was made.
Back to top

Apply for Professional Indemnity Insurance for Property Valuers

As can be seen, property valuers are exposed to a wide variety of risks in the course of their work and one slip up could result in a lawsuit that could have catastrophic consequences for their business. That’s why, just as any person who provides advice that has significant financial implications, property valuers need professional indemnity insurance as a matter of course.

Get a Professional Indemnity Insurance for Property Valuers

Back to top
*The products compared on this page are chosen from a range of offers available to us and are not representative of all the products available in the market. There is no perfect order or perfect ranking system for the products we list on our Site, so we provide you with the functionality to self-select, re-order and compare products. The initial display order is influenced by a range of factors including conversion rates, product costs and commercial arrangements, so please don't interpret the listing order as an endorsement or recommendation from us. We're happy to provide you with the tools you need to make better decisions, but we'd like you to make your own decisions and compare and assess products based on your own preferences, circumstances and needs.
Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

2 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    BrettOctober 13, 2014

    Suppose I decided to start my own business after being a property valuer for over 13 years, and that business was to concentrate wholly on desktop valuations. What would the likely cost of PI insurance be? Would desktop valuations represent a greater or lesser risk in the eyes of an insurer?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardOctober 14, 2014Staff

      Hi Brett,

      Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, is a comparison website and as such is unable to provide its users with that kind of information. However, if you fill out the enquiry form on the page above, a broker will be in contact to help you find the right policy.

      I hope this was helpful,

Ask a question
Go to site