Protect your business and its customers with a simple document.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
- Act as a health service provider
- Trade in personal information
- Operate residential tenancy databases
- Register as a credit reporting body
To check if your small business falls under the Privacy Act 1988, check out this information and questionnaire put together by The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC).
- How your business collects personal data
- How your business uses personal data
- If your business will disclose personal information to third parties
- A customer's rights when it comes to personal data
- How personal data will be stored securely
- If personal data will be used in cookies and on third party websites
- Using Personal Data. Use this section to explain why you're collecting personal data and how you'll use it. This is the perfect place to address why data collection is useful for both the business and the user.
- Third-Party Disclosure. If your business shares any personal data with other entities, you should outline exactly how in this section. Address precisely what type of data your business will share with third parties, and when this will happen, along with why you need to do this.
- Personal Data Protection. Customers want to make sure their personal data is safe, so take a moment to explain how you intend to store and use their data safely. This section only needs to be a few paragraphs long, and it should aim to reassure users that your business can be trusted with their personal information.
- Rights of Users. It's important to highlight that users have the right to change or delete the personal data that they provide by outlining their rights.
- Contact Information. Providing contact details allows users to reach out with any concerns they may have about the use of their personal information.
More guides on Finder
Free share transfer form templates (Australia)
How to transfer shares to a company or person with a transfer form.
Free model release form templates (Australia)
Acquire and protect full legal rights to your images with a model release form.
Net Lawman Review
A detailed review of Net Lawman, a supplier of legal documents and templates.
Expense claim policy templates (Australia)
Find out how you can easily set up an expensive claims policy for your company.
Free gift deed templates (Australia)
Make sure your gift stays in the right hands with our gift deed guide.
Change of Duties Notice templates (Australia)
You'll need to write a change of duties notice for when you alter the duties and responsibilities of an employee.
Free Cancellation Policy templates (Australia)
A well-crafted cancellation policy can work to reduce last-minute cancellations and could save you money.
Free Diversity Policy templates (Australia)
Here's how to create a document that showcases how your company promotes equality, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Free wholesale agreement templates (Australia)
How to find and use a template to write a wholesale agreement for the sale of products.
Free Variation of Discretionary Trust (Excluding Foreign Beneficiaries) templates (Australia)
How to find and use a template to write a variation of discretionary trust that excludes foreign persons.
Ask an Expert