Police and Nurses (P&N) Bank has structured a savings account especially for the youngest Australians, up to the age of 15. With competitive interest earned, minimal fees and flexibility for both parent and child, this savings account can be an invaluable step on the path to good spending habits.
What are the features of the Police and Nurses Way Cool Saver?
The Way Cool Saver is for parents and children alike, letting your kids largely manage their own savings but making parents get the final say. This delivers the twin benefits of more independence for children, and effective financial control for parents. You can open an account for children from the age of 0 to 15, so you can show your kids how banking works and the benefits of saving whenever you think they're ready. Compare the features offered by different children's savings accounts before deciding on one, and choose a good match for your situation and savings goals.
The Way Cool Saver is available from the age of zero right up until a child turns 15.
P&N is a mutual bank and required that all account holders are also members. Members can apply on behalf of their child under the age of 12, but kids aged 12 to 15 will have to pay the $10 shareholder fee and become a member before an account can be issued in their name.
No monthly account fees
You will not be charged any monthly account keeping fees for the Way Cool Saver.
Unlimited free transactions
With P&N Bank you are given a number of ways to make deposits and withdrawals with the account free of charge. This includes direct and payroll credits, transfers made online and over the phone, cheque and cash deposits, direct debits, EFTPOS, BPAY, manual and automatic electronic transfers and cash withdrawals.
Kids' account access
Children can access accounts through SMS banking, and parents can set permissions to determine how else kids can access funds
Children over 12 have the option of linking a rediATM debit card to the account, with the consent of their parent or guardian, to make EFTPOS purchases and cash withdrawals at ATMs.
A variable competitive interest rate is applied to the entire balance of up to . Accounts with balances over this amount will not earn any interest.
Interest is calculated on the daily balance and is paid into the account monthly.
There is no minimum monthly balance requirement for the Way Cool Saver. Compare more Police and Nurses bank products.
- No monthly account keeping fee
- Fee-free transactions
- SMS account access for kids
- Parental permission required for internet, app and phone banking
- Just for kids aged between 0 -15 years
- No interest earned if the account balance is over $5,000
How do I apply for the Police and Nurses Way Cool Saver?
You ca apply for the Way Cool Saver over the phone or in person at a local branch, and can request an appointment by visiting the Police and Nurses website.
Eligibility to apply
In addition to those already mentioned above, there are some eligibility requirements that you will have to meet before you can submit an application:
- Minimum age. Anyone up to the age of 15 can have a Way Cool Saver Account in their name. Parents or guardians are required to assist their children in applying for the account.
- Residency requirements. In order to be eligible for this high interest savings account you must have an Australian residential and mailing address.
- Depository requirement. You will not be asked to make a minimum opening deposit. Applicants over 12 will have the $10 shareholder fee deducted from the account.
P&N Bank also recommends that you bring with you the following documentation to refer to as you fill out the application:
- Tax file number. There is no obligation to provide your tax file number (TFN) or claim an exemption if applicable. If you don’t, a withholding tax could be deducted from the interest earnings.
- Identification. The parent or guardian applying on behalf of a child will need to have their own Australian driver’s licence or passport to complete the application. They will also need to be able to provide the child’s passport or their birth certificate.
What happens after I open an account?
After the application has been accepted by P&N Bank, you will be given the details of the account and instructions on how to operate it. If eligible, you will also receive your linked rediATM card to help with making day to day transactions.