Pokémon GO adds buddies in latest update
You can now select your favourite Pokémon to walk with you, earning candies as you go.
The latest update to Niantic’s phenomenally successful and popular Pokémon GO adds, as promised, the ability to designate a "buddy" Pokémon to walk with you as you go.
This isn’t just a cute mascot to have with you onscreen, either. Buddy Pokémon earn candy of their specific type as you walk with them, with the distance required appearing to relate directly to how rare the Pokémon you choose is. Plus, you know, it’s nice to have friends.
The Buddy upgrade is available via Google Play and the iTunes store now.
How do I set my Buddy Pokémon?
Once you’ve upgraded, launch Pokémon GO and tap on your trainer icon in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Expand out the menu icon on the right hand side by tapping on it, and you should see the "buddy" option. That will allow you to choose any of your already captured and still held Pokémon as your buddy. No, you can’t choose a Pokémon you’ve already farmed back to the professor for candy. He doesn’t do any trade backs.
Can I change my Buddy Pokémon?
Yes, you can. Once you’ve selected your buddy, going into the buddy menu will show you your current buddy, with an up/down arrow at the bottom right that allows you to switch to a new buddy Pokémon if you wish. The game will warn you that doing so will lose any walking progress you’ve made so far by switching, however.
- Save up to 80% on Steam’s most well-reviewed games in Humble Bundle’s Very Positive sale
- See Raiden summon a dragon in new trailer for his Injustice 2 debut
- Nintendo reveals its DLC plans for Fire Emblem Warriors
- Slightly Mad are Two Months Quicker at Building Cars than Polyphony Digital
- Producer Sam Rivera breaks down the player feedback that’s helped shape FIFA 18