Pokémon GO adds buddies in latest update
You can now select your favourite Pokémon to walk with you, earning candies as you go.
The latest update to Niantic’s phenomenally successful and popular Pokémon GO adds, as promised, the ability to designate a "buddy" Pokémon to walk with you as you go.
This isn’t just a cute mascot to have with you onscreen, either. Buddy Pokémon earn candy of their specific type as you walk with them, with the distance required appearing to relate directly to how rare the Pokémon you choose is. Plus, you know, it’s nice to have friends.
The Buddy upgrade is available via Google Play and the iTunes store now.
How do I set my Buddy Pokémon?
Once you’ve upgraded, launch Pokémon GO and tap on your trainer icon in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Expand out the menu icon on the right hand side by tapping on it, and you should see the "buddy" option. That will allow you to choose any of your already captured and still held Pokémon as your buddy. No, you can’t choose a Pokémon you’ve already farmed back to the professor for candy. He doesn’t do any trade backs.
Can I change my Buddy Pokémon?
Yes, you can. Once you’ve selected your buddy, going into the buddy menu will show you your current buddy, with an up/down arrow at the bottom right that allows you to switch to a new buddy Pokémon if you wish. The game will warn you that doing so will lose any walking progress you’ve made so far by switching, however.
- Old Aussie rivalries live on in upcoming esports league
- Xbox One owners can save big on Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Star Wars Battlefront II and more right now
- March’s Games With Gold line-up is super hot
- Secret of Mana Review (PS4): What the hell did you do Square Enix?
- Save up to 70% on Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, The Division and more in Humble Store’s Ubisoft sale