Points Finder Reward Deals: American Express, Hyatt, Avis and Alaska Airlines
Score bonus points transferring rewards points, spending online, renting cars and buying up miles.
Whether you're shopping online or thinking of booking an exciting trip away, we've got bonus points for you.
Get 15-20% bonus points transferring American Express rewards
If you transfer your American Express Membership Rewards points to your Velocity frequent flyer program by 12 August 2019 you'll receive 15% bonus Velocity Points or 20% bonus points for premium cardholders.
For further details and to log in to transfer your Amex points visit the American Express website.
Earn 50% more Qantas Points booking with Avis in Australia
This 50% bonus points offer is valid across all vehicle groups for travel up to 15 December 2019.
American Express members can receive cashback on exclusive offers
American Express regularly releases a variety of exclusive cardholder offers and benefits, mostly offering cashback on Amex purchases. This week's deals will expire during the months of August and September.
- First State Auctions – Spend $500 or more, get $150 back
- Clinique Online – Spend $100 or more, get $20 back
- NET-A-PORTER – Spend $500 or more, get $100 back
- FURLA – Spend $500 or more, get $100 back
- Avis Australia and New Zealand – Spend AUD$250 or more, get AUD$50 back
- Mr Porter – Spend GBP£300 or more, get AUD$100 back
- New Balance – Spend $80 or more, get $20 back
- Sony – Spend $500 or more, get $150 back
- NGV Restaurants - Spend $20 or more, get $10 back
- American Express Invites – American Express Invites Lounges
See American Express' website for further details on these promotions and for all the terms and conditions.
Score a 40% bonus when you purchase World of Hyatt hotel points
World of Hyatt, the global hotelier's loyalty program, is offering members a 40% bonus on points bought before 27 August 2019. There are three properties in Melbourne, two in Sydney and one each in Perth and Canberra.
The bonus is applied to purchases of 5,000 points or more. You can buy a maximum of 77,000 points, including the 40% bonus. This will set you back US$1,320 and is equivalent to approximately 1.71 US cents per point.
Receive up to a 50% bonus when buying Alaska Airlines miles
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan customers can receive up to a 50% bonus when purchasing miles. The discount for buying miles will differ from member to member. Check your member account to learn your concession tier.
- Buy 10,000 - 19,000 miles and receive a 20% bonus.
- Buy 20,000 - 39,000 miles and receive a 35% bonus.
- Buy 40,000 - 60,000 miles and receive a 50% bonus.
Alaska Airlines recently introduced a new calendar year purchase cap of 150,000 miles. However, Alaska Elite members can buy unlimited miles. To buy miles you need to have held an Alaska account for over 10 days.
Can you earn frequent flyer points on your credit card annual fee?
Unfortunately, there are no cards that allow you to earn points for paying an annual fee or for paying any other account fees. These fees help credit card companies offset the cost of providing a rewards program or frequent flyer partnership, so offering points would be counterproductive. If your goal is to justify the cost of a credit card's annual fee, you can weigh it against the value of the rewards earned over the course of a year. For more information and to discover other ways to earn points, see our Ask Finder column.
Which frequent flyer schemes do Australians use most?
You would expect Qantas and Velocity to have the highest number of members but who comes in at first place? Are there other contenders? Earlier this year, we highlighted figures from Budget Direct about the most popular schemes. Recent data from Roy Morgan suggests Qantas has the largest member base but Virgin's program is growing at a higher pace. For more details see Angus Kidman's latest Findings column.
Points Finder Rewards Deals highlights the latest credit card, airline and frequent flyer rewards offers. Check back every Friday for the latest deals and to find out how you can get more out of your points this week.
- Virgin Australia sale drops fares from $69 across 300,000 seats
- Fly across Australia from $99 with Qantas’s 2020 Boxing Day sale
- Score $75 flights with the Virgin Australia Boxing Day sale
- Take off across the country from $75 with this Virgin Australia sale
- Get in early with this $89 Virgin Australia sale