Points Finder Reward Deals: Avis, Virgin Australia, ANZ and American Express
Score bonus points renting vehicles, booking flights, taking out home loans and using your credit card.
Whether you're shopping online or thinking of booking an exciting trip away, we've got bonus points for you.
Earn 50% more Qantas Points booking with Avis in Australia
This 50% bonus points offer is valid across all vehicle groups for travel up to 15 December 2019.
Score bonus Velocity Points with these targeted offers
Virgin Australia's Velocity frequent flyer program has sent out targeted emails to its members containing a range of bonus points offers and deals. You can collect up to 5,000 bonus points, earn 10 points per $1 spent or receive 50% bonus points booking eligible Virgin Australia flights. All fares must be made by 7 August 2019.
Receive 300,000 bonus Qantas Points taking out an ANZ home loan
ANZ has a new home loan promotion that's available to refinancers, investors and first home buyers applying for a new home loan of over $300,000 and to those applying through an accredited broker.
To be eligible, you'll need to apply by 31 August 2019 and settle your loan by 31 January 2020. The 300,000 bonus Qantas Points will be credited to your frequent flyer account within 90 days of loan settlement.
In addition to the bonus Qantas Points offer, applicants will also automatically go into the draw to win $500,000 off their home loan. There are five of these prizes and the winners will be notified by 18 February 2020.
Find out what you can do with 300,000 Qantas Points and for more information see our helpful guide.
American Express offers members discounts and cashback incentives
American Express has a bunch of new cardholder offers and benefits. These deals expire during August.
- Mr Porter – Spend GBP£300 or more, get AU$100 back
- New Balance – Spend $80 or more, get $20 back
- Luxury Escapes – Spend $300 or more, get $60 back
- Sony – Spend $500 or more, get $150 back
- Suttons Group – Spend $125 or more, get $25 back
- Western Toyota – Spend $125 or more, get $25 back
- Mosman Toyota – Spend $125 or more, get $25 back
- NGV Restaurants – Spend $20 or more, get $10 back
- American Express Invites – American Express Invites Lounges
See American Express' website for further details on these promotions and for all the terms and conditions.
Earn up to 100,000 bonus AAdvantage Miles buying miles
American Airlines is offering its frequent flyer members the opportunity to save up to 10% off and the ability to earn bonus miles when you purchase at least 11,000 AAdvantage miles between now and 2 August 2019.
Here's the bonus points breakdown:
- 11,000 - 20,000 points = 2,500 bonus points
- 21,000 - 50,000 points = 5,000 bonus points
- 51,000 - 75,000 points = 15,000 bonus points + 10% off
- 76,000 - 100,000 points = 27,500 bonus points + 10% off
- 101,000 - 125,000 points = 45,000 bonus points + 10% off
- 126,000 - 149,000 points = 70,000 bonus points + 10% off
- 150,000 points = 100,000 bonus points + 10% off
The price of your purchase will be in US dollars. Your credit card company may add a currency conversion fee. Buying the maximum amount of miles is the cheapest option at 1.73 US cents per mile.
See American Airlines' website for the full list of terms and conditions associated with this promotion.
Which frequent flyer schemes do Australians use most?
You would expect Qantas and Velocity to have the highest number of members but who comes in at first place? Are there other contenders? Earlier this year, we highlighted figures from Budget Direct about the most popular schemes. Recent data from Roy Morgan suggests Qantas has the largest member base but Virgin's program is growing at a higher pace. For more details see Angus Kidman's latest Findings column.
Can you earn frequent flyer points on your credit card annual fee?
Unfortunately, there are no cards that allow you to earn points for paying an annual fee or for paying any other account fees. These fees help credit card companies offset the cost of providing a rewards program or frequent flyer partnership, so offering points would be counterproductive. If your goal is to justify the cost of a credit card's annual fee, you can weigh it against the value of the rewards earned over the course of a year. For more information and to discover other ways to earn points, see our Ask Finder column.
Points Finder Rewards Deals highlights the latest credit card, airline and frequent flyer rewards offers. Check back every Friday for the latest deals and to find out how you can get more out of your points this week.
- This Virgin Australia sale is bringing you fares from $79 a pop
- Virgin Australia sale drops fares from $69 across 300,000 seats
- Fly across Australia from $99 with Qantas’s 2020 Boxing Day sale
- Score $75 flights with the Virgin Australia Boxing Day sale
- Take off across the country from $75 with this Virgin Australia sale