The fashion industry is one of the biggest in the world, and it's not slowing down. Fast fashion is making it easier and cheaper for us to update our wardrobes than ever before, but it comes at a cost.
On this special episode of Pocket Money, we explore the world of fast fashion from a new perspective. We learn how the industry is rife with challenges, from murky supply chains and labour rights to its ecological impact. We also examine some ways that all of us can start to play a positive role and make some changes in how we consume and dispose of our clothing.
To help understand this complicated issue, we are joined by experts and activists who are helping push fashion toward a more ethical and sustainable future. We also shine a light on the slow fashion movement, which has begun to spark more transparent conversations around our closets and clothing choices.
This episode is the latest in a series where we look at our money and the impact it can have on where we choose to spend it. Listen back to episode #130 How to travel responsibly and #131 How to go green with your money to dive even deeper.
This episode is proudly presented by GlamCorner.
Mentioned in this episode
- Finder Green: For all things sustainable, ethical and eco-friendly
- Meet Clare Press and listen to her Wardrobe Crisis podcast
- Read the Good On You Journal for tips and guides on ethical and sustainable fashion
- Browse the Good On You Brand Directory
- Download the Good On You app from the App Store or Google Play
- Learn more about Round She Goes and visit The Slow Fashion Market
- Fashion Revolution
- How to live "A Zero Waste Life" on a budget episode
- Fast fashion quick to cause environmental havoc
- Aussies spend up on gadgets and clothes
- Fast, free shipping has an environmental cost
- Make Fashion Circular Report
- Style that's sustainable: A new fast-fashion formula
- CBC News: Bangladesh Factory Collapse
- ITV News: Rana Plaza factory collapse: Families still await millions in compensation
- PBS News Hour: Are your clothes made in safer factories after the 2013 Bangladesh factory disaster?
- On-Demand News: Rana Plaza building collapse: Death toll continues to rise in Bangladesh
- The Ugly Truth Of Fast Fashion | Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj | Netflix
Additional sound and effects provided by Logic Pro Sound Library and Storyblocks
- Waiting for You by Borrtex
- Palm Trees Please by Lance Conrad
- Runaway by VESHZA
- Little Cute by Stefano Mastronardi
- First Rain by Ian Post
- Fire Again by John Isaac
- Sunday by Young Rich Pixies
- Mind Over Matter by Chelsea McGough
- Wistful by Falls
- Pocket Money Theme by Bamby Media
Read the transcript of this episode
The Finder Pocket Money podcast is intended to provide you with tips, tools and strategies that will help you make better decisions. Although we're licensed and authorised, we (and our guests) aren't providing any form of financial or legal advice. So please consider your own situation and get proper advice about your individual circumstances before making any decisions based on anything in our show. Thanks for listening.
Have questions for the Pocket Money crew? Want to suggest a future episode idea? Hoping to speak with other curious young adults sorting through their lives and their money? Join our community for exclusive access and discussions about the show and all things money:
- Join the Pocket Money private Facebook group
- Follow Pocket Money on Instagram
- Follow Finder on Twitter
- Like Finder on Facebook
Pocket Money is hosted by Sally McMullen and Marc Terrano, co-written and produced by Franko Ali, with editing and theme music from Brianna Ansaldo of Bamby Media.
finder.com.au (ACL 385509. CAR 432664) is Australia's most popular comparison site. We like to help, and we understand that our podcast provides information, insight and entertainment, but it's not personal advice. Consider your own circumstances and get advice before you make any decision based on our general comments and commentary.
More guides on Finder
Podcast: The rise of buy now pay later
Talking interest-free finance with Flexigroup's Jonathan Kelly.
Podcast: Designer dogs and the real cost of cute
Owning a dog can cost way more than you think. On this episode of Pocket Money, we learn why certain breeds are more expensive, and other pet ownership FAQs.
Podcast: How to develop “rich habits” with Michael Yardney
The path to becoming rich is not a sprint, it's a marathon. If you want to achieve financial success it's all about forming rich habits.
Podcast: What does a financial adviser actually do?
What does a financial adviser actually do and when do you need one? On this episode of Pocket Money, we speak with Charlie Viola to find out.
Copyright and wrong: What to do if your idea is stolen – Pocket Money podcast
A podcast to help artists understand copyright, art theft and ideas in the age of the internet. Featuring Doodad and Fandango and legal expert Sean Graham.
Podcast: How to live ‘A Zero Waste Life’ on a budget
A practical budget-friendly guide to reducing your impact.
Podcast: How to get a raise and negotiate your pay
Talking about money is an uncomfortable topic for most of us. But avoiding these awkward conversations could be setting our careers back. When it comes to negotiating our pay, things get complicated fast.
Pocket Money podcast: How Bondi’s Fishbowl turned a restaurant into a lifestyle
We sit down with Nic Pestalozzi and Nathan Dalah, co-founders of Fishbowl Bondi, to talk about how it was born and their future plans for the business.
Pocket Money podcast: ‘A Real Girl’s Guide to Money’ with Effie Zahos
On this episode of Pocket Money, we speak with Bauer Media's finance editor and the author of the all-new book A Real Girl's Guide to Money, Effie Zahos.
Ask an Expert