Podcast: The real cost of fast fashion
An investigation into our clothes, our money and the "slow fashion" movement.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The fashion industry is one of the biggest in the world, and it's not slowing down. Fast fashion is making it easier and cheaper for us to update our wardrobes than ever before, but it comes at a cost.
On this special episode of Pocket Money, we explore the world of fast fashion from a new perspective. We learn how the industry is rife with challenges, from murky supply chains and labour rights to its ecological impact. We also examine some ways that all of us can start to play a positive role and make some changes in how we consume and dispose of our clothing.
To help understand this complicated issue, we are joined by experts and activists who are helping push fashion toward a more ethical and sustainable future. We also shine a light on the slow fashion movement, which has begun to spark more transparent conversations around our closets and clothing choices.
This episode is the latest in a series where we look at our money and the impact it can have on where we choose to spend it. Listen back to episode #130 How to travel responsibly and #131 How to go green with your money to dive even deeper.
This episode is proudly presented by GlamCorner.
Mentioned in this episode
- Finder Green: For all things sustainable, ethical and eco-friendly
- Meet Clare Press and listen to her Wardrobe Crisis podcast
- Read the Good On You Journal for tips and guides on ethical and sustainable fashion
- Browse the Good On You Brand Directory
- Download the Good On You app from the App Store or Google Play
- Learn more about Round She Goes and visit The Slow Fashion Market
- Fashion Revolution
- How to live "A Zero Waste Life" on a budget episode
- Fast fashion quick to cause environmental havoc
- Aussies spend up on gadgets and clothes
- Fast, free shipping has an environmental cost
- Make Fashion Circular Report
- Style that's sustainable: A new fast-fashion formula
- CBC News: Bangladesh Factory Collapse
- ITV News: Rana Plaza factory collapse: Families still await millions in compensation
- PBS News Hour: Are your clothes made in safer factories after the 2013 Bangladesh factory disaster?
- On-Demand News: Rana Plaza building collapse: Death toll continues to rise in Bangladesh
- The Ugly Truth Of Fast Fashion | Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj | Netflix
Additional sound and effects provided by Logic Pro Sound Library and Storyblocks
- Waiting for You by Borrtex
- Palm Trees Please by Lance Conrad
- Runaway by VESHZA
- Little Cute by Stefano Mastronardi
- First Rain by Ian Post
- Fire Again by John Isaac
- Sunday by Young Rich Pixies
- Mind Over Matter by Chelsea McGough
- Wistful by Falls
- Pocket Money Theme by Bamby Media
Read the transcript of this episode
The Finder Pocket Money podcast is intended to provide you with tips, tools and strategies that will help you make better decisions. Although we're licensed and authorised, we (and our guests) aren't providing any form of financial or legal advice. So please consider your own situation and get proper advice about your individual circumstances before making any decisions based on anything in our show. Thanks for listening.
Have questions for the Pocket Money crew? Want to suggest a future episode idea? Hoping to speak with other curious young adults sorting through their lives and their money? Join our community for exclusive access and discussions about the show and all things money:
- Join the Pocket Money private Facebook group
- Follow Pocket Money on Instagram
- Follow Finder on Twitter
- Like Finder on Facebook
Pocket Money is hosted by Sally McMullen and Marc Terrano, co-written and produced by Franko Ali, with editing and theme music from Brianna Ansaldo of Bamby Media.
finder.com.au (ACL 385509. CAR 432664) is Australia's most popular comparison site. We like to help, and we understand that our podcast provides information, insight and entertainment, but it's not personal advice. Consider your own circumstances and get advice before you make any decision based on our general comments and commentary.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Australian-owned Internet providers
Many Internet providers in Australia are Aussie-owned but you might be surprised at which ones don’t make the list.
Today’s ASX top stocks: 8Vi Holdings (8VI ↑23.6%), Avita Medical (AVH ↑12.6%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Wednesday 16 June 2021.
Introducing the Finder app
The Finder app is a powerful savings tool that tracks your money and finds you new ways to save. Download today.
Amazon Prime Day top beauty buys: 40% off FOREO, GHD, L’Oreal
From makeup to skincare to haircare, these are the hot beauty offers we're expecting to see this Prime Day.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen will square off in what's being called Termination Day.
eBay kitchen EOFY sale: 75% off with these discount codes
Score up to 75% off cookwares and kitchen appliances when you add these 'hidden' discount codes during the eBay EFOY sale.
Why did the Coca Cola (NYSE:KO) share price drop?
Shares in the beverage maker had lifted nearly 15% since February.
Amazon Prime Day: Top hacks for Australians in the 2021 sales
From when to shop to how to split the cost of your purchase, we’ve got you covered this Prime Day.
How to invest in the Charger Metals IPO
Everything we know about the Charger Metals IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Ask an Expert