PlayStation 4 Pro: Australian price, release date and specs
PlayStation's mid-life console upgrade sports 4K support and a hefty hardware upgrade. Here's what you need to know about the PlayStation 4 Pro.
When Microsoft's Phil Spencer hinted at mid-cycle consoles earlier this year, rumours began to fly around Xbox One Project Scorpio and PlayStation 4.5. At September's PlayStation Meeting the PlayStation 4.5 or Neo, was officially announced at the PlayStation 4 Pro.
$559.95 Go 4K with PlayStation 4 Pro from Sony
PlayStation 4 Pro comes with 1TB of storage and a wireless controller.View details
Not all that long after, gaming website Giant Bomb got its hands on leaked documents that supported rumours of 4K Support and upgraded graphical hardware and gave the new console an official nickname, PlayStation Neo. Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Andrew House then confirmed in June that was indeed working on a high-end PlayStation 4 with 4K support, solidifying the rumours spurred on by the earlier leak, which we now know is dubbed as the Playstation 4 Pro.
PlayStation 4 Pro Specs: Made for VR
While Sony didn't have a lot to say about the PlayStation 4 Slim, it did speak at length about the new PlayStation 4 Pro. Here's all the information we received from the meeting.
- 4K support: The PS4 Pro will support native 4K output for select video games and video players like Netflix and YouTube.
- Graphical and performance upgrade: The PlayStation 4 Pro features an upgraded x86-64 "Jaguar" AMD CPU with 8 Cores and a 4.2 teraflop AMD Radeon GPU. Sony claims the Pro is twice as fast as the standard model.
- 1TB is standard: The PS4 Pro comes with a 1TB HDD standard.
- Super-sampling and advanced anti-aliasing: Mark Cerny assured the console owners they won't need a 4K or HDR TV to enjoy the PS4 Pro's upgrades. He stated that even at 1080p, super-sampling and advanced anti-aliasing would help create better reflections, brighter colours and smooth jagged edges.
- Forward compatibility: Older titles are getting the HDR treatment with a patch Cerny referred to as Forward Compatibility.
That's about all we know about the PS4 Pro's upgrades.
PlayStation 4 Pro Price: An understandably more expensive console
While the PS4 Slim looks to replace the traditional PlayStation 4 on store shelves, the PS4 Pro will be a fully-fledged upgrade and thus is like to come at a higher cost.
The PlayStation 4 Pro will set you back $559.95 in Australia. You can purchase the PlayStation 4 Pro from Sony's online store.
Latest PS4 news
Ubisoft's gorgeous representation of Ancient Greece in Assassin's Creed Odyssey will hook you in all over again. Read more…
There are collectables in Marvel's Spider-Man, but as Insomniac Games details, they all serve a very important purpose when it comes to the game's story. Read more…
The snap-happy web-slinger is back and this time he's got the support of a big-budget AAA studio behind him. Here's how to join Spidey's latest adventure on the cheap. Read more…
Marvel's Spider-Man takes Parker to dizzying new heights on PlayStation 4 thanks to tightly crafted combat, unlocks aplenty and smooth web-slinging. Read more…
Revisiting the eternal quest for black cars and sailors in bars on PlayStation 4. Read more…
Lara's latest adventure showcases a new level of action-packed Croft-manship. Read more…
PlayStation 4 Pro: Australian release date
Andrew House wrapped up the PlayStation meeting by announcing a 10 November 2016 release date for the PlayStation 4 Pro.
PlayStation 4 Pro Review
With the PS4 Pro now on sale, we wasted no time in getting our hands on one and reviewing the next next-gen console.
The PS4 Pro does exactly what Sony said it would do. And to its credit, the company has never tried to suggest it is more than what it is. This is a console bred for those who crave having the latest and greatest technology. For those who already own a 4K TV, or waiting for the Pro to get one, because it’s something that will bring them great personal satisfaction.
Subscribe and follow for all the latest gaming comparisons and offers
- Ubisoft reveals HashCraft, a secret new blockchain game
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (2018) hands-on: My big fat Greek beheading
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider review: Hand-Crofted with love and care
- Insomniac details its approach to collectables in Marvel’s Spider-Man
- Twitch’s Mike Lucero talks future of broadcaster monetisation